Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Would love some direction on my next most valuable upgrade. I'm THINKING it's the speakers but could use some direction. My current set up is as follows:

DECK: Fluance RT85
CART: Ortofon 2M Blue (Shibata Tipped)
PRE-AMP: Musical Fidelity LX-LPS
SPEAKERS: Klipsch R-51PM

I also have a Schitt Magni Headphone Amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX, but those have been just fine for when I want to go into private listening mode.

I think what I'm chasing is more soundstage and clearer presentation, my sound sometimes feels a bit bottled up and stuck between the speakers. Not sure if that would be better addressed through a deck upgrade or speakers. I'm also not keen on upgrading my deck until I can drop cash on an Ultradeck or Technics. Can I get better performance out of my Fluance? Where do you think my money would be best spent here? Thanks for the help fam!

Would love some direction on my next most valuable upgrade. I'm THINKING it's the speakers but could use some direction. My current set up is as follows:

I also have a Schitt Magni Headphone Amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX, but those have been just fine for when I want to go into private listening mode.

I think what I'm chasing is more soundstage and clearer presentation, my sound sometimes feels a bit bottled up and stuck between the speakers. Not sure if that would be better addressed through a deck upgrade or speakers. I'm also not keen on upgrading my deck until I can drop cash on an Ultradeck or Technics. Can I get better performance out of my Fluance? Where do you think my money would be best spent here? Thanks for the help fam!
Clearly speakers for me. What's your budget? You'll need an amp too.
edit: for a significant improvement on the deck you enter Ultradeck territory, less than that will likely be a side move.

Last edited:

Yeah I agree, with a healthy budget a move to an amplifier and passive speakers is where I think you’ll get the biggest jump.

You’ll want an amp with a fixed level out to keep using the magni for your phones, a tape out is the usual output for this.

Haven't heard them, but the KEF Q150 bookshelf speakers are well-regarded, look cool, and Crutchfield has them for $299, that's 50% off

Too many options! 😂
Honestly, the black definitely looks better with everything that I currently have, but the R100s are a steal too...gonna have to read up on both and see which one I like.

Edit: I also saw Kef Q350s with a noticeable discount — @HiFi Guy what’s your opinion about these three?

Last edited:
Question. How far do you guys have the back of your speakers sitting from your wall? What's a good distance?

Too many options! 😂
Honestly, the black definitely looks better with everything that I currently have, but the R100s are a steal too...gonna have to read up on both and see which one I like.

Edit: I also saw Kef Q350s with a noticeable discount — @HiFi Guy what’s your opinion about these three?
The R100 is from a higher series. It’s a better value, but if you don’t like the finish....

Back