Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

glad to see this is all sorted, but I pulled these quotes so I'm still going to weigh in.

I think once you have the PLX-1000 you'll quickly find that looks and photos don't mean much. I've seen the LP-120, PLX-1000, 1200GR and 1200G in person. Haven't heard all of them, but I think I could have my mom guess the price order of them based on looks and feel alone and she could guess which one cost least and which one costs most. Have fun with it!

It all depends, but a lot of people swear by them. I wouldn't hold to that until you hear one vs an MM. I haven't made the jump yet, but I do consider it.

I loved my U-Turn, so much so I still can't sell it even almost 2 years later. But it's inline with the LP-120, not above it.

I believe there's an obv upgrade with MC but it makes sense that they are more temperamental and cost a good bit more. I'd never rule them out but not where I need to go now.

I believe there's an obv upgrade with MC but it makes sense that they are more temperamental and cost a good bit more. I'd never rule them out but not where I need to go now.
i think like a MC cartridge isn't really useful or essential until you are going over 1K on a turntable like a VPI or higher end rega... where you are trying the hardest you can to get the best performance possible

like with me with my 400 dollar Uturn the only real upgrade for me is either 8Mz stylus or going to a ortofon blue (and anger everyone else here)

i think like a MC cartridge isn't really useful or essential until you are going over 1K on a turntable like a VPI or higher end rega... where you are trying the hardest you can to get the best performance possible

like with me with my 400 dollar Uturn the only real upgrade for me is either 8Mz stylus or going to a ortofon blue (and anger everyone else here)

The blue is decent, just finicky to being calibrated right and it picks up every imperfection in a record.

They are bright and detailed without being sharp.

I don't know that I will ever spend that much on a TT so MC may never be for me. It's like wire.. I mean cables, and diminishing returns for cost.

They are bright and detailed without being sharp.
and thats what people hate about them (no bass/warmth, just bright)

i just am tempted by marketing since as spongebob famously said

"it feels like somebody.. WANTS TO SELL ME SOMETHING"

and thats what people hate about them (no bass/warmth, just bright)

i just am tempted by marketing since as spongebob famously said

"it feels like somebody.. WANTS TO SELL ME SOMETHING"

Tell me, do you need better sounding cables? I may be able to help you out!

Yes cables big pretty sturdy cables.

With little wires inside
I understand your BS detector sounding the alarm when cables/interconnects are mentioned. I rolled my eyes at all that stuff too. Then I got a relatively cheap Pangea brand ($60?) power cord for my Vincent PHO-8 phono preamp you also happen to have. I was thinking I'd maybe hear some indiscernible difference, but what I heard snapped my head at my speakers. The bass improvement was undeniable and NOT insignificant. All we're talking about with this gear is ultimately how they handle electrical signals. Amps, watts, ohms, impedance, Class A, A/B, D, Tubes, etc. Its all the management and amplification of small to large electrical signals (as well as the mitigation of electrical noise.) Buy cables, dont buy cables, its all good as long as you enjoy yourself - but why wouldnt different/better wire, different applications of wire which rejects noise, and which transmits all these electrical signals between source, preamp, amp and speakers also make some difference along the way?

I understand your BS detector sounding the alarm when cables/interconnects are mentioned. I rolled my eyes at all that stuff too. Then I got a relatively cheap Pangea brand ($60?) power cord for my Vincent PHO-8 phono preamp you also happen to have. I was thinking I'd maybe hear some indiscernible difference, but what I heard snapped my head at my speakers. The bass improvement was undeniable and NOT insignificant. All we're talking about with this gear is ultimately how they handle electrical signals. Amps, watts, ohms, impedance, Class A, A/B, D, Tubes, etc. Its all the management and amplification of small to large electrical signals (as well as the mitigation of electrical noise.) Buy cables, dont buy cables, its all good as long as you enjoy yourself - but why wouldnt different/better wire, different applications of wire which rejects noise, and which transmits all these electrical signals between source, preamp, amp and speakers also make some difference along the way?
Everyone needs to go on the cable journey on their own, when and if they decide to young grasshopper ;)

Yep, totally agree. Cables, to me, are a finishing touch/last step sort of thing. And also not required beyond telephone wire and stock rca cords either. But the sound difference isnt in my head either -I wear double ply tinfoil which takes care of that! ;)

I absolutely believe in the right cable for the application. You can have speaker wire that is too small of a guage for the application that will certainly color/degrade the sound. You can have faulty or poorly shielded cable that will pick up interference from your cordless phone.

However some companies go too far and I don't believe extra virgin, oxygen free or oxygen enhanced, ribbed for your pleasure, or titanium tipped cables add much to the sound. $60 for a power cord? That's not a lot of money, and I would love to have it add to the sound. If not it would go right back.

Back