Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

That's been my concern as well. He seems like a brilliant guy who cares deeply about his products. His stylus replacement price policy is the real draw for me if I was to ever to consider dropping 1k on a cartridge. BUT he's gotta be in his 70's and isnt exactly the picture of health. I wonder if he's ever addressed his succession plan before?

Not as far as I'm aware. He seemed like a very nice gent when I met him, and the carts certainly sounded great. It's a tempting proposition once you take cheap replacements into account.

Should I be worried about the build quality reviews of the PLX-1000? Anyone had a bad experience? Sounds like its made in the same factory as my AT.

Despite my reluctance to get a belt drive, the RT85 is a beautiful TT. And its a little cheaper.

What about U-Turn? any thoughts to make my selection harder? :p

Should I be worried about the build quality reviews of the PLX-1000? Anyone had a bad experience? Sounds like its made in the same factory as my AT.

Despite my reluctance to get a belt drive, the RT85 is a beautiful TT. And its a little cheaper.

Every deck, and I mean EVERY deck or piece of equipment will have some negative experiences....that being said, the build quality on my PLX is fantastic. I loved my U-Turn, but would still go with one of the other 2.

I don’t think at and pioneer are owned by the same company/made in fhe same factory. I think it’s more that they both copy the same overall look and aesthetic design from technics lol!

I don’t think at and pioneer are owned by the same company/made in fhe same factory. I think it’s more that they both copy the same overall look and aesthetic design from technics lol!

According to a few reviewers they are both made by Hanpin electronics in Taiwan.

Anyway, I'm going to pull the trigger before the sale ends. Just scared. 😬

I also had the Pho8 with my LP120 and still on my Pioneer.
It's funny when I bought my Pioneer I saw no bad reviews but I have since seen ones you probably have, most were older. I'm nervous on those mine was great out the box
Pioneer arm is not even the same length LP120 and is noted in manual as an off legnth of 54 not 52 if using an overhang gauge. Just heads up print or buy protractor with purchase. I printed mine but might buy mirror one when I upgrade cart. I'm going AT either 95ml or 540ml.

Randomly just remembered another thing. If I remember right the LP120 forces you to use inferior built in RCA. The Pioneer let's you use whatever. The table comes with RCA but I'd consider a better set if dont have spares.

Randomly just remembered another thing. If I remember right the LP120 forces you to use inferior built in RCA. The Pioneer let's you use whatever. The table comes with RCA but I'd consider a better set if dont have spares.

Yes they are hardwired on the LP120. I have better but I'm not a $100 wire guy.

glad to see this is all sorted, but I pulled these quotes so I'm still going to weigh in.

They look very similar.
I think once you have the PLX-1000 you'll quickly find that looks and photos don't mean much. I've seen the LP-120, PLX-1000, 1200GR and 1200G in person. Haven't heard all of them, but I think I could have my mom guess the price order of them based on looks and feel alone and she could guess which one cost least and which one costs most. Have fun with it!

Sounds like MC isn't worth the trouble.
It all depends, but a lot of people swear by them. I wouldn't hold to that until you hear one vs an MM. I haven't made the jump yet, but I do consider it.

What about U-Turn?
I loved my U-Turn, so much so I still can't sell it even almost 2 years later. But it's inline with the LP-120, not above it.

Back