Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

The Fortes are authoritative down to the upper 30s, so it's basically that last 10hz I want for music, and not even at a very high output. *That* is the easy part. The hard part is the LFE channel for home theater, which is high-output and needs even more extension. If I had space I might run small RELs at speaker-level and then leave the SVS for movies.

But that would be crazy, right? 👀
I’m with @Joe Mac in the separate system universe and if you think my hifi is budget…

I’m with @Joe Mac in the separate system universe and if you think my hifi is budget…
My home theater setup is a Yamaha RX-A2A, a Klipsch Academy (an early-90s center channel voiced to match the Forte II), a couple Klipsch dipole surrounds, a couple Klipsch Atmos speakers, and the SVS PC-12 Plus. I then use the switch to swap the L/R channels between the Yamaha and my analog setup, as needed.

I would describe it as More Than Sufficiently Loud.

My home theater setup is a Yamaha RX-A2A, a Klipsch Academy (an early-90s center channel voiced to match the Forte II), a couple Klipsch dipole surrounds, a couple Klipsch Atmos speakers, and the SVS PC-12 Plus. I then use the switch to swap the L/R channels between the Yamaha and my analog setup, as needed.

I would describe it as More Than Sufficiently Loud.
I have a 32inch Vizio hooked up to a lg soundbar that we got before we bought the house. It has a tiny sub that is connected via Bluetooth. I either stream through a fire cube or watch dvd or Blu-rays through a ps3. It sounds great if you are directly in front of it. The sub is in a corner hidden away because the wife hates it, so the crawl is very lopsided… lol.

I’m not replacing shit unless it breaks.

I have a 32inch Vizio hooked up to a lg soundbar that we got before we bought the house. It has a tiny sub that is connected via Bluetooth. I either stream through a fire cube or watch dvd or Blu-rays through a ps3. It sounds great if you are directly in front of it. The sub is in a corner hidden away because the wife hates it, so the crawl is very lopsided… lol.

I’m not replacing shit unless it breaks.
I think that's very reasonable. Movies are, unfortunately, another one of my expensive interests. I should probably pick one of these hobbies to drop.

I was a huge movie nerd once upon a time. I’d rather sit in front of the hifi these days.

I’ve never been a film enthusiast in the same way as with music, or certain sports tbf, but I love nothing more that the escapism of the cinema. No matter how much I invest at home I’m not getting that so I just have the Sonos that makes streamed stuff and my footy sound good without needing trailing wires.

I’ve never been a film enthusiast in the same way as with music, or certain sports tbf, but I love nothing more that the escapism of the cinema. No matter how much I invest at home I’m not getting that so I just have the Sonos that makes streamed stuff and my footy sound good without needing trailing wires.
Yeah that’s definitely a benefit of this minimalist setup. Streaming and my lack of need for the lastest 20k ultra hi res picture has meant I could pare down the collection. We probably offloaded five hundred or so movies when we moved. I think I’ve bought a total of ten movies since we moved. Mostly old films that I wanted to watch for whatever reason and were cheap and not streaming. And Star Wars. Always Star Wars.

Now that I have the theatre in the basement I don't really go out to the cinema anymore. It can't quite beat the full cinema experience but unfortunately all the interesting old theatres have been run out of business by Cineplex so going to the movies has all the atmosphere and character of a Walmart. I just don't care to spend $50 to watch movies in a Walmart.

Now that I have the theatre in the basement I don't really go out to the theatre anymore. It can't quite beat the full cinema experience but unfortunately all the interesting old theatres have been run out of business by Cineplex so going to the movies has all the atmosphere and character of a Walmart. I just don't care to spend $50 to watch movies in a Walmart.
I haven’t been to a theater since the pandemic. I’m sure the last time we went to see a movie was the last of the Star Wars sequels.

There is a nice old restored movie palace here and will probably be where I take the kid to see her first movie in a few years.

The oldest has one of those movie pass things and goes a couple times a month.

I never noticed it before now, probably because I used to watch movies LOUD but the ps is kind of loud.

Like I said, every disc player I had before the marantz was noisy.

There is a nice old restored movie palace here and will probably be where I take the kid to see her first movie in a few years.

The oldest has one of those movie pass things and goes a couple times a month.
We used to have some great theatres in Toronto but most of them are gone now. There's still a few smaller rep theatres that are going and fun to check out. But for the big stuff it's just dumbass Cineplex with their crappy image quality and sound.

Yeah you’ll know. It sounds like an aircraft taking off because the fan is working WAY too hard to cool it down. Not complaining though, got 13 years solid service out of that thing!
I think this thing is ten years old. It makes the same noise it’s always made. Just when you are watching Back to the Future and it maxs out at 32 db, you notice it’s 20 or whatever.

We used to have some great theatres in Toronto but most of them are gone now. There's still a few smaller rep theatres that are going and fun to check out. But for the big stuff it's just dumbass Cineplex with their crappy image quality and sound.

I miss the real film cinemas. Especially the huge real film IMAX they had in Manchester when I lived there. That was a proper experience.

Back