Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

That's honestly what I thought too. We looked it up and apparently the Nag needs a much higher VTA and this particular Fluance model is not compatible so that would explain it to a degree. But I still feel like that headshell is effed up. He's got three kids under like 8 years old so it's possible they jacked it.
Just pulled my Fluance out of mothballs and put my Nagaoka cart on it. It's not perfect but doesn't look anywhere close to how his is riding. Shrug?!?

fluance 3.jpg
fluance 2.jpg
fluance.jpg

Just pulled my Fluance out of mothballs and put my Nagaoka cart on it. It's not perfect but doesn't look anywhere close to how his is riding. Shrug?!?

View attachment 191251
View attachment 191250
View attachment 191249
Yeah that is bizarre, far more space on yours. Also thanks for doing that!

Yeah maybe the Nag headshell helps? Also are you running the acrylic platter there? Also also one of the Fluance models is ok with the Nag. Do you remember which one that is you have? Friend saying the Fluance + models are okay with Nags out of the box, but I have no idea.

The headshell definitely looks like it is angled up from the collet. Remove the headshell and screw it in again? Otherwise, it looks bent especially compared to the Nagaoka headshell.

The headshell definitely looks like it is angled up from the collet. Remove the headshell and screw it in again? Otherwise, it looks bent especially compared to the Nagaoka headshell.
Yeah agreed... I gotta go to his place and take that thing apart. Something is definitely up.

Definitely very close to a new turntable. I’m looking for something sub-$2,000. Will be pairing with a new Darlington Labs MP-7. Just curious if anyone has any insight on either of these:

(What the heck is the Ortofon 2M White?)

And how might either of these compare to the Orbit Theory with the 2M Bronze?

Oh, also - Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals

Yeah that is bizarre, far more space on yours. Also thanks for doing that!

Yeah maybe the Nag headshell helps? Also are you running the acrylic platter there? Also also one of the Fluance models is ok with the Nag. Do you remember which one that is you have? Friend saying the Fluance + models are okay with Nags out of the box, but I have no idea.
It's the original RT82 with the acrylic plater on it.

Definitely very close to a new turntable. I’m looking for something sub-$2,000. Will be pairing with a new Darlington Labs MP-7. Just curious if anyone has any insight on either of these:

2M white is a rebranded 2M Red to match the table.

Self-interest dictates I mention that I am selling my UltraDeck, which is a terrific table.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Whelp. With the benefit of an old credit, a little too much late night cheer, being away from the turntable, and two more giant helpings of rationalization, I’m now adding these to the mix:

Umami Blue, and

DS Audio HS-001 Solid Steel Headshell - Fixed Leads × 1

I questioned getting fixed leads — but I’m assuming that unless I’m planning on replacing them, fixed is better than detachable? I simply just don’t see myself getting to the upgrading of my headshell leads? (If anyone has strong opinions here, I’m happy to call them up and change…)

Outside of the overall sound, I’m hoping that this plus thinking about the mat might help me close what I feel is like the VTA gap in my current setup. (I do wonder at what point in this hobby you become confident in turntable setup)

As a potential point of crazy: I was thinking about looking at the Trans-Fi Resomat… but it also looks bonkers? At £30 I may just try it — but I truly struggle to wrap my head around the approach.

Any thoughts?

As a final thought: this forum and all those that make it so vibrant and amazing — are a gift that makes the world a little better. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Whelp. With the benefit of an old credit, a little too much late night cheer, being away from the turntable, and two more giant helpings of rationalization, I’m now adding these to the mix:

Umami Blue, and

I questioned getting fixed leads — but I’m assuming that unless I’m planning on replacing them, fixed is better than detachable? I simply just don’t see myself getting to the upgrading of my headshell leads? (If anyone has strong opinions here, I’m happy to call them up and change…)

Outside of the overall sound, I’m hoping that this plus thinking about the mat might help me close what I feel is like the VTA gap in my current setup. (I do wonder at what point in this hobby you become confident in turntable setup)

As a potential point of crazy: I was thinking about looking at the Trans-Fi Resomat… but it also looks bonkers? At £30 I may just try it — but I truly struggle to wrap my head around the approach.

Any thoughts?

As a final thought: this forum and all those that make it so vibrant and amazing — are a gift that makes the world a little better. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Happy Holidays to you, too!

Congrats on the over-rationalized purchases! ;) I trust that headshell can serve as a replacement for many such 'standard' headshells that connect to the tonearm in the same manner? Looks very nice!

As for the resomat, man, you'd need a lot of room for adjustment at the arm's pivot point!

Re: headshell leads, on the one hand, I agree with you that unless you were planning to replace them, which would make sense only if you thought you could improve upon them, fixed makes sense. BUT, having broken fixed lead wires before, replacement is much more of a problem when the leads are fixed. I'm not sure which way I'd go with this, but if I were convinced there wouldn't be any difference in quality, as purchased (assuming good contact on both ends of all wires), I probably would err on the side of detachable.

And wait....damn, I almost looked right past that Unami Blue. Hubba hubba, Huddie, that's a sweet looking cart, and should make for a beautiful pairing with that headshell. I'll look forward to your impressions once you have them both in place.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

Congrats on the over-rationalized purchases! ;) I trust that headshell can serve as a replacement for many such 'standard' headshells that connect to the tonearm in the same manner? Looks very nice!

As for the resomat, man, you'd need a lot of room for adjustment at the arm's pivot point!

Re: headshell leads, on the one hand, I agree with you that unless you were planning to replace them, which would make sense only if you thought you could improve upon them, fixed makes sense. BUT, having broken fixed lead wires before, replacement is much more of a problem when the leads are fixed. I'm not sure which way I'd go with this, but if I were convinced there wouldn't be any difference in quality, as purchased (assuming good contact on both ends of all wires), I probably would err on the side of detachable.

And wait....damn, I almost looked right past that Unami Blue. Hubba hubba, Huddie, that's a sweet looking cart, and should make for a beautiful set-up with that headshell. I'll look forward to your impressions once you have them both in place.
I’m pretty excited about the change. The cart certainly has had a really good run in the press. The credit covered about half and it was on sale — though buying the headhsell ate up some of that…

On the leads… I think you might be right… as the shop is closed today I’ve a little time to think about it :)

Happy holidays all.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Umami Blue, and

Any thoughts?

I don't know anything about it but the Umami Blue is beautiful.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Umami Blue, and

Any thoughts?

The Umami Blue is widely regarded as a great cart; it’s a Cartridge of the Year by The Absolute Sound this year. Just make sure you have a phono that’s up to the job; I’m unfamiliar with your specific set-up.

The Umami Blue is widely regarded as a great cart; it’s a Cartridge of the Year by The Absolute Sound this year. Just make sure you have a phono that’s up to the job; I’m unfamiliar with your specific set-up.
the phono stage is definitely an open question. I’m running the “newer” (sans battery, 2019?) version of Musical Surroundings Nova III. I’ve enjoyed it, but I don’t have a lot to compare it with or a broad reference.

at a practical level though I think an upgrade on that front has to wait. We are trying to buy a new apartment in the spring and this is likely the last bit of utter irresponsibility that I can get away with until after that happens. (Though if we find a place and I can bundle it into the narrative of the “the move” that’s the window! 😂)

Back