Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Is there such a thing as speakers that sound “better” at lower volumes than others? If so how would the Lintons sound in this regard?
The more sensitive they are the better they will sound at low volumes. I believe focal speakers have a reputation for this. Your amp plays a significant piece in this as well. I have limited experience so I’ll let the big boys step in from here.

Is there such a thing as speakers that sound “better” at lower volumes than others? If so how would the Lintons sound in this regard?

I do a lot of my listening at what you might call a moderate volume because I live in an apartment and my neighbour gets arsey at even the smallest amount of bass carry.

I don’t feel that I’m missing anything. The detail is still there.

I do a lot of my listening at what you might call a moderate volume because I live in an apartment and my neighbour gets arsey at even the smallest amount of bass carry.

I don’t feel that I’m missing anything. The detail is still there.
I’m in the same position, likely with more “understanding” neighbors, none the less I want to be respectful and most of my listening I can’t crank the elacs enough to be able to hear “everything”.

I’m in the same position, likely with more “understanding” neighbors, none the less I want to be respectful and most of my listening I can’t crank the elacs enough to be able to hear “everything”.

Yeah honestly I think I’ve had an average one complaint a year so it’s not too bad and I’m perhaps being a bit harsh. I just don’t really like his manner lol. It is always bass heavy tracks so I do try to reign it in for them…

@Joe Mac are you running tube amplification with your Lintons? That is something I would like to have the option for in the future and if the speakers are reasonable to drive with “affordable” tube amplification they might be the one.

I am. But I’m not going to claim that my amp falls into that category. It’s definitely more in the category of a super indulgence that was only comfortably achievable during the particular circumstances of a global pandemic!

Whilst the Linton’s are sensitive they aren’t Zu, Fyne Audio, Tannoy Heritage or Klipsch sensitive. There is no way you are running them with a 2 watt Decware tube amp. You’d want to be looking at something in the ballpark of 40 watts by a reputable tube manufacturer.

I’m at about 45 watts with KT88s in ultra linear mode with my Prima Luna and it works wonderfully. It works nicely in the Triode mode at 25 watts too, it has a lovely tone but at that power level I do feel you sacrifice a bit of something in the oomph to get that tone.

We'll see, just instructed Upscale to ship without the card and ordered one from Crutchfield. I am primarily interested the Dirac but also BT and LAN connectivity. I had missed the point that people landing the fully enabled units were getting the LE model.
Crutchfield just sent me a shipping notification so they must actually have them on the shelf.

Thanks for the very specific response, I have to assume that ordering from upscale audio in California is a wise choice as far as service is concerned ?
I had a good experience with Upscale when ordering the Lintons. Came double boxed with a ton of packing peanuts so be prepared for a bit of a mess when unboxing.

Crutchfield just sent me a shipping notification so they must actually have them on the shelf.
very curious to hear about what you think of the DAC as well as how easy DIRAC is to use and the difference it makes in your normal room (my room is all kinds of fucked, so I am definitely getting it at some point - just you will be the first "real" person I've seen use the stuff. @Ed Selley you are REAL, but you also do this shit for a living.)

I had a good experience with Upscale when ordering the Lintons. Came double boxed with a ton of packing peanuts so be prepared for a bit of a mess when unboxing.
I can reiterate this with the NAD. probably the best packing I've ever seen.

They were also very patient with this kid here who was all kinds of excited about the $1300 amp he had bought and had to wait three months for.

They were also very patient with this kid here who was all kinds of excited about the $1300 amp he had bought and had to wait three months for.
On a side note for anyone else getting their hands on a 3050, how do you manage to get those stupid plastic plugs out of the binding posts for banana plugs? Or did you use bare wire or spades...?

I had to literally drill them out. Or at least get a small enough drill but spun into them enough to pop them out.

I asked a couple of very specific questions via online chat with upscale about the shipping process and what happens if they arrived damaged or defective as to not be in the same place I was with Magnepan albeit admittedly with a different timeline involved. Long story long, upscale will pay to ship back if I receive damaged or defective product within a 60 day window.

On a side note for anyone else getting their hands on a 3050, how do you manage to get those stupid plastic plugs out of the binding posts for banana plugs? Or did you use bare wire or spades...?

I had to literally drill them out. Or at least get a small enough drill but spun into them enough to pop them out.
They just popped out for me. I've heard people using paperclips and knives though.

Back