Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

They just popped out for me. I've heard people using paperclips and knives though.
actually, I remember the last one being a bit of a beast, but I did not have to resort to inserting metal objects. They are the one sort of not cool thing about it though (that and the volume thing - I was reading yesterday that it is something about the gain and you can fix it with a firmware update on the MDC2 that @debianlinux has coming from Crutchfield - I have gotten use to it though, it would be nice if the LEDs meant something)

On a side note for anyone else getting their hands on a 3050, how do you manage to get those stupid plastic plugs out of the binding posts for banana plugs? Or did you use bare wire or spades...?

I had to literally drill them out. Or at least get a small enough drill but spun into them enough to pop them out.

My old Sony was a bit like this but a flat head screw driver was always enough to ease them out of it.

They just popped out for me. I've heard people using paperclips and knives though.
I tried all manner of small skinny things to try and pry them out. I resorted to the drill only after the only two YouTube videos I could find suggested it. I guess mine were just really jammed in there. I was also sweating bullets taking a power drill to the back of my brand new out of the box amp...

Ended up working a treat though.

I had no intention of going to an estate sale this morning. Indeed, I’d never been to one before this morning. But I was out driving at 10am and saw a sign for one starting at 10am, so I dropped in hoping for a record, maybe. As mentioned in another thread, I did get a record — ‘78 Monarch press of The Last Waltz in VG+/VG shape for $2. Not bad!

But then, in the house’s garage, I saw a rack stereo system, and it had a Beogram 1700 turntable and MMC 20EN cart. It looked in decent shape but was unplugged with no opportunity to try it out. But it was $20, so I figured, F-k it, I’m finding out for $20!!

I haven’t checked tracking force or antiskate, but it damn well plays nice! Seems to play at right speed. It’s not as nice as the Ultradeck w SAE cart (I did an A/B comparison), but I’d be happy with it as my daily driver for sure if it was my only deck.

I wasn’t looking for a turntable and have nowhere to put it, but I need to figure something out!

71530019103__6564714C-4181-47A8-BED6-B00BD3D09E7A.jpeg

71530021178__E4A50FA6-67F5-4B1F-A055-2D5879284C0E.jpeg

I had no intention of going to an estate sale this morning. Indeed, I’d never been to one before this morning. But I was out driving at 10am and saw a sign for one starting at 10am, so I dropped in hoping for a record, maybe. As mentioned in another thread, I did get a record — ‘78 Monarch press of The Last Waltz in VG+/VG shape for $2. Not bad!

But then, in the house’s garage, I saw a rack stereo system, and it had a Beogram 1700 turntable and MMC 20EN cart. It looked in decent shape but was unplugged with no opportunity to try it out. But it was $20, so I figured, F-k it, I’m finding out for $20!!

I haven’t checked tracking force or antiskate, but it damn well plays nice! Seems to play at right speed. It’s not as nice as the Ultradeck w SAE cart (I did an A/B comparison), but I’d be happy with it as my daily driver for sure if it was my only deck.

I wasn’t looking for a turntable and have nowhere to put it, but I need to figure something out!

View attachment 181359

View attachment 181358

If you’re curious, here’s an ipad video of it playing the new Cars reissue. Pls disregard stuff on speakers! I had to move a bunch of stuff to put the tt on the console.

View attachment 181359

View attachment 181358
That's awesome! My favorite kind of estate sale story. :)

View attachment 181359

View attachment 181358
Beautiful table.

No longer think my room is that fucked. I mean it's fucked, but this is a whole other level of fucked:

My takeaway? All speakers should come with a tiny Liam Neeson in them. (How come I need spelling help for like Centennial, but Liam Neeson, that is easy?)

I also love the bit at the beginning where he is like "I don't review floorstanders because I hate putting them back in the package."

My takeaway? All speakers should come with a tiny Liam Neeson in them. (How come I need spelling help for like Centennial, but Liam Neeson, that is easy?)

I also love the bit at the beginning where he is like "I don't review floorstanders because I hate putting them back in the package."

It’s drunk review man again!

Back