Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

👀👀👀👀👀

Tempting. I'd probably bite if it was a silver face plate.

Upscale is gonna piss off some people that order off that listing when they receive the standard finish instead of the walnut based on your intel ;)
Yeah, my intuition thought better. The image is still the LE. The link is also a pre-order since no one has the standard edition yet.

A bit less desirable at that price point now that there is no veneer, but it might still find its way to me as an open-box from some other poor unsuspecting soul.

How about NAD separates?
@Corycm This. Good vendor too, that’s where I got mine. If this is a forever upgrade, it’s worth it to jump to the C298 power amp.

I bought mine “open box” and saved a chunk. They were like new.

@Corycm This. Good vendor too, that’s where I got mine. If this is a forever upgrade, it’s worth it to jump to the C298 power amp.

I bought mine “open box” and saved a chunk. They were like new.
So what’s the skinny on the separates? These fit right into my budget and I trust your opinion on these. But I know zippo about amps. What are the highlights I should know?

So what’s the skinny on the separates? These fit right into my budget and I trust your opinion on these. But I know zippo about amps. What are the highlights I should know?

Connect all your components into the little one. Controls gain and source selection. Set of interconnects to the big one that powers your speakers. Basically an integrated amplifier split down into a separate preamplifier and power amplifier.

Connect all your components into the little one. Controls gain and source selection. Set of interconnects to the big one that powers your speakers. Basically and integrated amplifier split down into a separate preamplifier and power amplifier.
That's what I've always been curious about some of these separates too is the volume knob is on the preamp. So like if I have the Sutherland preamp, but an NAD power amp there is nowhere to control the volume unless I get the matching preamp, but then is the Sutherland redundant? Not that I am looking, but just a hypothetical.

That's what I've always been curious about some of these separates too is the volume knob is on the preamp. So like if I have the Sutherland preamp, but an NAD power amp there is nowhere to control the volume unless I get the matching preamp, but then is the Sutherland redundant? Not that I am looking, but just a hypothetical.
in this scenario, the Sutherland is a phono preamp only, which takes the cartridge level input and raises it to line level. the separate preamplifier provides multiple switchable line level inputs, and then passes those volume-attenuated signals to the power amp, which just goes full tilt all the time. As Joe said, a normal integrated amplifier is called such because it integrates the preamp (input switcher, volume control), power amp (speaker amplifier), and sometimes a phono stage into a single chassis.

No so the Sutherland is the phono stage preamplifier. It amplifies the low level phono cartridge signal, and applies the RIAA curve to create a similar level as other components.

If you have an integrated amplifier it still contains a preamplifier and a power amplifier. The preamplifier section controls the source selection and the gain and the power amplifier powers the speakers. Splitting them out allows more room for better components and gives the benefit of each having its own individual power supply.

I guess I need to educate myself on what the hell a separate preamplifier is. I knew that a phono gets me from cart level output to line level, but what happened in the integrated amp was beyond me.

Yeah I only figured this all out back in early 2019 when I realised that I had I bought power amps and needed to order a preamplifier too if I was to be able to use them properly!

I guess I need to educate myself on what the hell a separate preamplifier is. I knew that a phono gets me from cart level output to line level, but what happened in the integrated amp was beyond me.
It basically just gives you a bunch of inputs, lets you switch between them, and lets you adjust the volume. The power amplifier is just a big dumb box that takes an input and embiggens it enough to power speakers.

Well built. Not flashy. Killer sound.

Things I like:

Amazing sound. Deep tight textured bass. Natural mids, extended highs, but never harsh.

Great dynamics.

Fantastic detail without being analytical.

No hiss/hum. Uber quiet.

Lab tests from Stereophile show the C298 in the top 3 of any power amp they’ve ever tested.

Runs cool. My power bill dropped 20% from when I had the tube amp.

Using the included trigger cable, the power amp automatically turns off/on with the preamp.

Things I don’t like:

Comes with a ginormous system remote aka 1990. My cheap workaround ($33 shipped) is to get the 316BEE amp remote and use it for volume up/down/mute and power on/off.

The power amp auto mutes when headphones are plugged in.

Mute function does not work when using headphones.

I finally pulled the trigger on a Schiit Saga and Lokius. AT LAST, A REMOTE

Did you get the tubey saga? How do you like it?

An extraordinarily irresponsible move down the line for me may be to replace the PS Audio with a saga N and Jays audio DAC…

Edit: oh wait, I’m confusing the saga and the Freya lol!

Back