Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It's really not coming.. lol.. thinking about a Clearaudio Concept w/Satisfy Carbon arm. Anyone here have one, heard one, etc?

It's really not coming.. lol.. thinking about a Clearaudio Concept w/Satisfy Carbon arm. Anyone here have one, heard one, etc?
I've got a Concept Wood with Satisfy arm, but not carbon. With Maestro V2 cart. I like it a lot. There's a wee bit of info in this Clearaudio thread I started a while back: Clearaudio Concept

Bought a Geodisc on ebay and went to check my cart today. The overhang was WILDLY off. I think I got it adjusted correctly now though and the rest seems to be all good now too. Don't know why I never got a Geodisc before now...it's way easier to align that way than the mirror alignment tool for me.

Last edited:
Went to change the cart on my old TT and the blue wire snapped when I was removing the cable from the old cartridge 😞. Those pesky wires are so small/thin. Anything somewhat simple I can do to fix it or not worth it? I was planning on buying a new TT for that setup anyway but still frustrating!

Went to change the cart on my old TT and the blue wire snapped when I was removing the cable from the old cartridge 😞. Those pesky wires are so small/thin. Anything somewhat simple I can do to fix it or not worth it? I was planning on buying a new TT for that setup anyway but still frustrating!

Unless it’s a removable headshell it’s an arm re-wire unfortunately! They can be a fiddly pain the arse can those thin wires!

Just popping in here to say I liked the idea of and reviews of the Andover spin base so I went ahead and ordered one from target (red card ftw). It arrived today, set up was super easy. I’m not an audiophile by any means (obviously) but I think it sounds pretty good. I tested out VMP ATLiens and felt no vibrations at half volume, which is probably louder than I would normally play it anyways. Also tested newbury pressing of a Strife album and it sounded good as well. Looking forward to spending some more time with it

View attachment 109127

Edit: the blue on my tone arm is painters tape so the arm didn’t move when I moved my turntable 🤫
I actually just purchased one of these and a freshly serviced late-80s Technics Linear Tracker for my wife to run a little system in her office!

Excited to try it out.

I actually just purchased one of these and a freshly serviced late-80s Technics Linear Tracker for my wife to run a little system in her office!

Excited to try it out.

For the space I have I dig it. It sounds good, looks nice and is easy to use. I don’t crank it though, so at the volume I play it the vibrations are almost non-existent

As I know folks here like new gear as much as I do (and more), I thought I’d pop back in to say, “I did a thing.” And here it is, on a palette waiting to be shipped!

View attachment 112971
The new speakers arrived yesterday and I got them set up last night. These are Tannoy Cheviots, slightly used, courtesy of The Music Room.

The Cheviots were on a short list of speakers I was considering to replace my Focals, and when I saw them come up on TMR I jumped at them. There aren’t any dealers near me, so this seemed like my best bet to hear them. I figured if they didn’t work out, I could eat the shipping and swing a local sale.

Based on an hour of listening, I can only really describe them as how they’re different from the Focals: less forward, improved musicality, less detailed, a lot more bottom end, and they fill the room much better. Considering how new they are to me, I was surprised to find myself more lost in the music than analyzing the details of what I was hearing, if that makes sense. They’re also an aesthetic improvement on the Focals. I haven’t dialed them in yet, but they aren’t as fussy about set up.

These reportedly have very low hours and are going to require more burn in, but so far so good!

Attachments

• 83792A64-8B60-4333-A294-375C68123DE7.jpeg
    83792A64-8B60-4333-A294-375C68123DE7.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 23
  • D47395B9-3A7E-47D2-AD53-BBF45F3AE7C2.jpeg
    D47395B9-3A7E-47D2-AD53-BBF45F3AE7C2.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 23
The new speakers arrived yesterday and I got them set up last night. These are Tannoy Cheviots, slightly used, courtesy of The Music Room.

The Cheviots were on a short list of speakers I was considering to replace my Focals, and when I saw them come up on TMR I jumped at them. There aren’t any dealers near me, so this seemed like my best bet to hear them. I figured if they didn’t work out, I could eat the shipping and swing a local sale.

Based on an hour of listening, I can only really describe them as how they’re different from the Focals: less forward, improved musicality, less detailed, a lot more bottom end, and they fill the room much better. Considering how new they are to me, I was surprised to find myself more lost in the music than analyzing the details of what I was hearing, if that makes sense. They’re also an aesthetic improvement on the Focals. I haven’t dialed them in yet, but they aren’t as fussy about set up.

These reportedly have very low hours and are going to require more burn in, but so far so good!

Can’t wait to hear your longer term impressions. Tannoy Heritage speakers would be pretty much the only things that could tempt me to part with the Lintons!

Sweet!, Tannoy's are great! Bet voices are spooky ? Should match your tube amp very well!

The Uberlight Flex LED lamp is now available in black, if you were interested but didn't want a white lamp

The Uberlight Flex LED lamp is now available in black, if you were interested but didn't want a white lamp
I'm actually on the market for such a lamp. But $60 when I can easily find similar ones for less than $20? I think I'll pass on that one.

cables question! i need to buy some longer cables for my living room setup to put speakers on either side of a fireplace...will probably go with BlueJean cables since I don't want to spend a crazy amount (and i also probably want white shielding so the cables don't stand out as much). i know i'll probably get differing opinions on it, but does 10 gauge vs 12 gauge make much of a difference? looking at probably a $10 difference per cable at the length I want ($51 vs $61).

Are there other cables I should be look at that are close to a similar price point? I have Zu mission MK-1 cables right now but they just aren't long enough.

Notice any changes in the imaging, since the Tannoys are coaxial? What model of Focals did you replace?

cables question! i need to buy some longer cables for my living room setup to put speakers on either side of a fireplace...will probably go with BlueJean cables since I don't want to spend a crazy amount (and i also probably want white shielding so the cables don't stand out as much). i know i'll probably get differing opinions on it, but does 10 gauge vs 12 gauge make much of a difference? looking at probably a $10 difference per cable at the length I want ($51 vs $61).

Are there other cables I should be look at that are close to a similar price point? I have Zu mission MK-1 cables right now but they just aren't long enough.

12 gauge is already pretty thick for speaker cable so I’d not sweat it unless you really fancy the heavier gauge (says the man with the 10AWG ones…). The locking banana plugs are great though, if your amp Is compatible with bananas I’d specify them over the heavier gauge.

Sweet!, Tannoy's are great! Bet voices are spooky ? Should match your tube amp very well!
I think it's a good match. Don't know if you've heard Michael Stipe's cover of "Sunday Morning", but that was one of the first songs I put on last night after everything was connected. The moment when he starts singing was just out of this world.

Notice any changes in the imaging, since the Tannoys are coaxial? What model of Focals did you replace?
I replaced the Chorus 826v.

I think the coax Tannoys are only the wall-mount units. The Cheviots have an extra set of speaker inputs for bi-wire/amping. Steve Guttenberg says bi-wiring them does offer some improvements, but that's further down the road, if at all.

Last edited:
Back