Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

cables question! i need to buy some longer cables for my living room setup to put speakers on either side of a fireplace...will probably go with BlueJean cables since I don't want to spend a crazy amount (and i also probably want white shielding so the cables don't stand out as much). i know i'll probably get differing opinions on it, but does 10 gauge vs 12 gauge make much of a difference? looking at probably a $10 difference per cable at the length I want ($51 vs $61).

Are there other cables I should be look at that are close to a similar price point? I have Zu mission MK-1 cables right now but they just aren't long enough.
I've sung praises to Signal Cable over in the cables thread.

I replaced the Chorus 826v.

I think the coax Tannoys are only the wall-mount units. The Cheviots have an extra set of speaker inputs for bi-wire/amping. Steve Guttenberg says bi-wiring them does offer some improvements, but that's further down the road, if at all.
What I meant was the concentric drivers on your Cheviots, and utilized on most of the traditional Tannoy speaker lines. The way the tweeter is in the throat of the mid/bass driver. My Zu Souls have the same design, and they image really well, and pretty much disappear. I believe the concentric driver (point source?) plays a huge role in that.

What I meant was the concentric drivers on your Cheviots, and utilized on most of the traditional Tannoy speaker lines. The way the tweeter is in the throat of the mid/bass driver. My Zu Souls have the same design, and they image really well, and pretty much disappear. I believe the concentric driver (point source?) plays a huge role in that.
Ah, got it. The Focals image really well, but having the tweeter at exactly ear height is pretty critical to unlocking their full potential. That’s less important with the dual concentric driver on the Tannoys.

While less important, I think I need to find a way to raise the Tannoys a bit. On the Gaias, they measure 35”. The tweeter is at 26” and about 15” below ear height when sitting at listening position. The image sounds more focused if I slouch, so I might build some platforms to get them a little higher. I’m guessing 6” or so would do the job.FCE4565A-DFB4-43FC-96F0-48227729A51A.jpeg

Gave up on the Technics thing for the time being. My desire to continue to be able to cycle in vintage tables that I may want in the future without having to be worried about being left high and dry if they break led me to pick up a Rega P6 w/Ania to be my "modern" table. Don't care about the plinth thing, if I have to return one oh well.. Hoping it sounds as good or better than the Sony. No other real expectations other than reliability.

Could use a hand with a new phono stage though. I'd like one with the ability to hook up 2-3 tables, has loading up to at least 330pf (preferably 400+) for use with my Shure V15 that doesn't require me to open the casing to adjust, and that can match well with the Ania/other MC Carts.

Anyone have any suggestions? Budget less than $2500.

I was looking at the Musical Fidelity M6 (old model)which has 3 RCA inputs and the ability to remember settings for each. Having a tough time finding one in stock or on the used market though. The new model M6x has two RCA inputs and a balanced input so I could go that route for 2 tables. None of my tables would have a balanced connection so that one is kinda wasted on me. Thought a little about the McIntosh MP100, but have read some reviews that call it a little sterile which concerns me with the Forte's. Both of these also have fixed output settings for MM and MC that aren't very flexible though not sure its a real concern. The Rega Aria has two inputs, and I would like to try the symmetry with the Ania, but it can't load the V15 and its desired pf..

Any suggestions welcome!

Ah, got it. The Focals image really well, but having the tweeter at exactly ear height is pretty critical to unlocking their full potential. That’s less important with the dual concentric driver on the Tannoys.

While less important, I think I need to find a way to raise the Tannoys a bit. On the Gaias, they measure 35”. The tweeter is at 26” and about 15” below ear height when sitting at listening position. The image sounds more focused if I slouch, so I might build some platforms to get them a little higher. I’m guessing 6” or so would do the job.View attachment 113886
Beautiful!

Gave up on the Technics thing for the time being. My desire to continue to be able to cycle in vintage tables that I may want in the future without having to be worried about being left high and dry if they break led me to pick up a Rega P6 w/Ania to be my "modern" table. Don't care about the plinth thing, if I have to return one oh well.. Hoping it sounds as good or better than the Sony. No other real expectations other than reliability.

Could use a hand with a new phono stage though. I'd like one with the ability to hook up 2-3 tables, has loading up to at least 330pf (preferably 400+) for use with my Shure V15 that doesn't require me to open the casing to adjust, and that can match well with the Ania/other MC Carts.

Anyone have any suggestions? Budget less than $2500.

I was looking at the Musical Fidelity M6 (old model)which has 3 RCA inputs and the ability to remember settings for each. Having a tough time finding one in stock or on the used market though. The new model M6x has two RCA inputs and a balanced input so I could go that route for 2 tables. None of my tables would have a balanced connection so that one is kinda wasted on me. Thought a little about the McIntosh MP100, but have read some reviews that call it a little sterile which concerns me with the Forte's. Both of these also have fixed output settings for MM and MC that aren't very flexible though not sure its a real concern. The Rega Aria has two inputs, and I would like to try the symmetry with the Ania, but it can't load the V15 and its desired pf..

Any suggestions welcome!

Two phono connections (each can be switched to MM or MC), lots of settings for impedence loading and gain; even different equalization curves can be set. All settings can be adjusted on-the-fly with a controller on the front of the unit.

Here's a review (there are quite a few out there): Gold Note PH-10 Phonostage - The Absolute Sound

Two phono connections (each can be switched to MM or MC), lots of settings for impedence loading and gain; even different equalization curves can be set. All settings can be adjusted on-the-fly with a controller on the front of the unit.

Here's a review (there are quite a few out there): Gold Note PH-10 Phonostage - The Absolute Sound
Thanks for the suggestion! This is one that I looked at but can’t find any info about loading the Shure V15 to 47k (not a problem) with 400-500pf (can’t tell if this is possible).

Thanks for the suggestion! This is one that I looked at but can’t find any info about loading the Shure V15 to 47k (not a problem) with 400-500pf (can’t tell if this is possible).

It might be a little outside your budget (but I’ve often seen open boxes of it) but one of the top ones on my “dream phono” list is the musical fidelity nu-vista phono stage. Allows 5 tonearms to be connected via RCA and for you to save configurations for each of them. Can then output to your amp in either RCA or XLR. Allows all the adjustability that’s you’re looking for too.

Last edited:
Well.. I settled on the Musical Fidelity M6.. it has connections for 3 tables, all possible needed adjustments on front panel, and by all accounts is a nice sounding unit. We'll see how it mates with the 2251/V15iii, TD-160/DL103 and P6/Ania. Couldn't quite justify the cost on the NuVista, but hoping this gets me to a happy place and allows me to easily play all the tables without much fuss. Pretty excited about that.

Won't hook it up until the room switch in a week or two but I'll report back. I appreciate the input.

Well.. I settled on the Musical Fidelity M6.. it has connections for 3 tables, all possible needed adjustments on front panel, and by all accounts is a nice sounding unit. We'll see how it mates with the 2251/V15iii, TD-160/DL103 and P6/Ania. Couldn't quite justify the cost on the NuVista, but hoping this gets me to a happy place and allows me to easily play all the tables without much fuss. Pretty excited about that.

Won't hook it up until the room switch in a week or two but I'll report back. I appreciate the input.
Actually ended up with the M6x, the newer version of the M6 as the old version is nowhere to be found. Purchased from HiFiHeaven, and they discounted the new version close to the old one so I took it. Only had black, so will pair it near the P6 in the rack to keep it from sticking out too much. The major differences are that the x version changed to a discrete layout, and replaced one of the RCA inputs with a balanced input. I assume there are adaptors, but don't love that idea.. so I may stick to just the Sony and the Rega.. and sell the Thorens and the Dual. The Dual was an impulse ebay buy that I bid so little on that I thought there'd be no chance.. wrong. lol. Still unopened in the box it was delivered in a couple months ago.. stupid.

Last edited:
Actually ended up with the M6x, the newer version of the M6 as the old version is nowhere to be found. Purchased from HiFiHeaven, and they discounted the new version close to the old one so I took it. Only had black, so will pair it near the P6 in the rack to keep it from sticking out too much. The major differences are that the x version changed to a discrete layout, and replaced one of the RCA inputs with a balanced input. I assume there are adaptors, but don't love that idea.. so I may stick to just the Sony and the Rega.. and sell the Thorens and the Dual. The Dual was an impulse ebay buy that I bid so little on that I thought there'd be no chance.. wrong. lol. Still unopened in the box it was delivered in a couple months ago.. stupid.
classic HiFiHeaven.

classic HiFiHeaven.
Yup.. I've heard of people running into this before with them and tbh was half expecting it. I don't feel like they do it maliciously, and in the end it worked out just fine for me. He also offered me a NuVista for $500 off list too.. still just a bit more than I want to spend. Really nice guy though..

Yup.. I've heard of people running into this before with them and tbh was half expecting it. I don't feel like they do it maliciously, and in the end it worked out just fine for me. He also offered me a NuVista for $500 off list too.. still just a bit more than I want to spend. Really nice guy though..
I don't know that malicious is the right word, but at a certain point I think it's definitely an advertising thing. Ad a model that you know you can sell the cousin to and get more hits that way. It's a win - win, but when you go in expecting it that says something.

I don't know that malicious is the right word, but at a certain point I think it's definitely an advertising thing. Ad a model that you know you can sell the cousin to and get more hits that way. It's a win - win, but when you go in expecting it that says something.
Fair point.. and I agree.

Assuming that I get the cousin that I paid a few extra dollars for, I'll walk away feeling ok about it. Well, as long as it doesn't sound like crap.. lol

Any suggestions welcome!
used VPI Classic or Scout series would also be one to try IMO.

FYI, in case anyone else on this thread uses a Grace IRDT-200. It (was) a great way to listen to internet radio (largely my favorite jazz stations) through my home stereo setup.

Both of mine suddenly have issues and I called the company who claimed that "their partner" who made them and managed the servers for them went bankrupt last year. As such, the servers are slowly being shut down, making the audio equipment useless.

Grace does make a newer model that can plug into your stereo: Grace Link

They're offering people like me who suddenly have a useless radio a 35% discount, but this product is out of stock and they put me on a waitlist. This seems like a great way for the company to extract money from its previous customers (the Grace Link costs $179). Very frustrating.

The reason I write this is (1) To spread the word. There are still many listings on Ebay for these used IRDT200 models; and (2) Does anyone have recommendations for a Internet Radio Tuner to plug into my receiver that's not made by Grace?

Thanks in advance.

Back