Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Hi guys! Finally ordered my Elac Debut 6.2's and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for speaker stands (31" or so). My cursory search uncovered a few recommendations for Samus and Monoprice stands, and think there was a chat a few months back here about Kantos, but nothing definitive. Do you guys have any thoughts for those speakers?

I'll keep an eye out for the technics' tables, and I'll try the talc in the meantime, but this is a new belt with less than 30 hours on it, as my previous one gave up the ghost and just snapped in half one day.

I bet if you email/call Uturn customer service and report the issue maybe there are other suggestions or ideas (pulley or motor) they may have or perhaps its a QA issue with their belts ?

Last edited:
Last night I moved the belt on my u-turn over to the 45RPM wheel to check my Melvins LP for the mispress error (which it has) and when I moved it back to 33....it wouldn't stay on, stretched out and kept falling off. Had to put it in the fridge overnight to get it to where it should be. Someone recommend a decent table that allows me to switch between 33/45 and won't have this nonsense. Bonus for auto-stop or auto-lift.
Any direct drive Technics.

I’m biased as I have a Rega Brio-R in my office setup and thinks it’s a great little amp. So I’d probably recommend the Rega, but also mention the Yamaha A-S801. Those Yammy Integrated’s are pretty killer.
I'm even MORE biased. I tried an ARCAM SA 20 and am selling a integrated that for a few hundred more sounded better, had a better head amp and a more user-friendly DAC / Wifi set-up. But that's just me. Arcam certainly was an upgrade over the Musical Fidelity M2si I was moving from.

I bet if you email/call Uturn customer service and report the issue maybe there are other suggestions or ideas (pulley or motor) they may have or perhaps its a QA issue with their belts ?
They recommend that the belts be changed ever so often. I've replaced mine once, it was $5 from their website and no shipping.

Looking for a power conditioner. There seem to be lots of sketchy cheaper options, and then stuff way out of my price range. Want something that will last me into the future, but don't want to spend more than about $500. Any good options available?

Looking for a power conditioner. There seem to be lots of sketchy cheaper options, and then stuff way out of my price range. Want something that will last me into the future, but don't want to spend more than about $500. Any good options available?
I've had this Panamax since 2018 and it's done a great job.
Amazon product ASIN B00ILH7KJI

You could check out something like this from Brickwall. Their stuff is of the non-sacrificial variety and has a reputation for being bulletproof. Both good indicators of longevity for your money.

I've had this Panamax since 2018 and it's done a great job.
Amazon product ASIN B00ILH7KJI
You think it'd be too much to stack the PLX on top of this? Trickiest part right now is finding one that works in my fairly cramped setup area. If I got a rack style power conditioner like this one it would probably either be that or on top of the NAD, but I don't want to cover up any NAD vents if possible.

A "brick" style conditioner would just be on the floor next to my Kallax.

You think it'd be too much to stack the PLX on top of this? Trickiest part right now is finding one that works in my fairly cramped setup area. If I got a rack style power conditioner like this one it would probably either be that or on top of the NAD, but I don't want to cover up any NAD vents if possible.

A "brick" style conditioner would just be on the floor next to my Kallax.
Its too narrow to even try, that being said, mine is sitting upright behind my rack............you don't need to have it "displayed".

I
So! My hum is history!

I had a feeling all along that it was a ground loop but had no way of defeating it because everything was plugged into the same strip.

Whilst I was waiting for PL and the dealer to come back I saw something in the local hifi store and thought “fuck it, let’s give it a go, if it doesn’t work I can always return it”

I bought 2 of these ifi silent power gnd defenders. They plug into your IEC port on the gear and then the power cable plugs into them. They supposedly drop the ground if they notice a loop, whilst keeping a safety ground, but do nothing if there is no ground loop.

Whilst not cheap at €100 each they have worked perfectly for me and are relatively speaking not that much when you consider they have killed the hum between a €1800 pre amp and €4000 power amp!

They also launched D.C. blocker in the same line which filters out any D.C. on the AC which is great for any gear where you have a beast of a transformer that’s physically humming/vibrating.

I might have to pick up one of these…I’m still having a slight noise in my speakers when no audio is going through.

I

I might have to pick up one of these…I’m still having a slight noise in my speakers when no audio is going through.

I would trouble shoot first just to see that it is caused by a ground loop, that you can’t fix it without spending and to identify the problem component. But yeah if it’s a ground loop that you can’t fix it’s a great little piece of kit.

Its too narrow to even try, that being said, mine is sitting upright behind my rack............you don't need to have it "displayed".
One more question.... I feel like I've asked you so many over the last couple weeks, I can't thank you enough for your advice.

I'm leaning towards the 4300, I like the idea of having separate power banks so I can keep the stuff I always leave powered on on one bank, and the gear I power on and off in the second. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is the difference between the 2 banks. One is labeled "high powered" and the other "linear". If you don't mind me asking, what gear do you have plugged in each bank in yours? Just want to be put on the right track when it comes to setting up my new rig.

One more question.... I feel like I've asked you so many over the last couple weeks, I can't thank you enough for your advice.

I'm leaning towards the 4300, I like the idea of having separate power banks so I can keep the stuff I always leave powered on on one bank, and the gear I power on and off in the second. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is the difference between the 2 banks. One is labeled "high powered" and the other "linear". If you don't mind me asking, what gear do you have plugged in each bank in yours? Just want to be put on the right track when it comes to setting up my new rig.
I have my amp plugged into the high power and the rest in the linear...........you can never ask too many questions ;)

Never seen this before, but my Panamax today shut everything off and it seems to say there's a brown out! The voltage is down to 102 and it's turned off my devices. Makes sense since it has been crazy hot here, but hopefully it comes back on and works and the Panamax isn't broken.

I would trouble shoot first just to see that it is caused by a ground loop, that you can’t fix it without spending and to identify the problem component. But yeah if it’s a ground loop that you can’t fix it’s a great little piece of kit.
Still can't entirely figure out what it is. I figured in my old apartment it was because mostly everything was on the same circuit since it was an older building. But my new place shouldn't have had that issue. Replacing the power cord on my amp might be the first step but I have things running through the Panamax and the sound didn't go away! I'll troubleshoot some more now that I'm in a new spot.

Still can't entirely figure out what it is. I figured in my old apartment it was because mostly everything was on the same circuit since it was an older building. But my new place shouldn't have had that issue. Replacing the power cord on my amp might be the first step but I have things running through the Panamax and the sound didn't go away! I'll troubleshoot some more now that I'm in a new spot.

Yeah it’s definitely worth trouble shooting. I got it down to between my preamp and power amp and changing cables and adding a ground wire didn’t help so it was either a fault in the power amp (the preamp was working fine with the old powers) or a ground loop. The frequency and type of rhe hum suggested ground loop but both were already connected to the same power conditioner so was out of options so took a punt on this!

Yeah it’s definitely worth trouble shooting. I got it down to between my preamp and power amp and changing cables and adding a ground wire didn’t help so it was a fault in the power amp (the preamp was working fine with the old powers) or a ground loop. The frequency and type of rhe hum suggested ground loop but both were already connected to the same power conditioner so was out of options so took a punt on this!
If I remember correctly, the sound is only present on any inputs that I put my phono stage through. USB in didn't seem to have it and it wasn't present on any other inputs. I'll have to revisit it though. Gave up last time since my fridge and overhead lights were on the same circuit so I chalked it up to that.

Back