Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I'll be setting up the Fluance this week, maybe even this evening if I can get to it. I can't decide what the first album to spin will be. Probably something that I know really well...
What do you folks use for your 'system test' record?
When I grabbed my Studiodeck at the end of last year, my "test" spins were Otis Redding's "The Immortal...", Radiohead's "In Rainbows", Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories", Darkside's "Psychic", and the VMP pressing of Charlie Rouse's "Bossa Nova Bacchanal".

Exciting stuff! Would love to hear your thoughts on the RT85, as I was considering it at one point in time before the pandemic.

I have been rounding out my two systems and feel I am getting close to a good place that will keep me satisfied for awhile, with the exception of potential speakers/new phono.

On one system I have a dual 1229 with an AT vm95ml/mofi studiophono/marantz hd-amp1/Wharfedale lintons. I do not plan on making any changes to this setup anytime soon.

On the other system I have a dual 1249(1219 that I need to service) with an at120e/pioneer sa9100 (internal phono or uturn phono)/Kef q100 and Elac b6 into another room. I will probably at some point upgrade the phono to a studiophono or darlington, but am not sure on speaker. Space is more limited, so most likely will want a bookshelf. Also, it is in dining room/kitchen, so I want something that is not picky about placement/listening position. Overall budget is open, most likely would not go over 2k, would like to stay closer to 1k, but offer a decent improvement over the q100. Right now looking at Wharfedale Denton 85 or Kef ls50meta, but am not sure if there is a better option in that price range.
As a Dual 1219 fan, I'm loving your two Dual-centered systems. Regarding speakers, Steve Guttenberg has really positive things to say about the Klipsh RP600M. He describes them as magical, though a bit spare on bass. I've never heard them, nor either of the ones you've listed, so can't be of help beyond what I've read. I suspect those KEF's would be sweet, but as always, there are so many variables...

So I recently upgraded headphones and have been listening to headphones a LOT more than speakers lately anyway due to shared space. To the point I've kicked around getting a really nice headphone amp and potentially using it as a pre for a dual mono system in the future.

1. Should someone talk me out of it?
2. What are some affordable decent (say less than 1000$ options for power amps stereo or dual mono) for now while I make the switch?
3. Moving forward some fantastic say 2-3k options in the future?

So I recently upgraded headphones and have been listening to headphones a LOT more than speakers lately anyway due to shared space. To the point I've kicked around getting a really nice headphone amp and potentially using it as a pre for a dual mono system in the future.

1. Should someone talk me out of it?
2. What are some affordable decent (say less than 1000$ options for power amps stereo or dual mono) for now while I make the switch?
3. Moving forward some fantastic say 2-3k options in the future?
I feel obligated to recommend my current integrated amp, the KingKo KA-101 Pro. It's got enough output (12W) to power your Zus happily, and has an excellent headphone amp. Acquiring one is a little harder than it used to be due to supply chain disruption, but it's a really great little thing.

Admittedly, it doesn't meet your initial requirements, but it is affordable!

I feel obligated to recommend my current integrated amp, the KingKo KA-101 Pro. It's got enough output (12W) to power your Zus happily, and has an excellent headphone amp. Acquiring one is a little harder than it used to be due to supply chain disruption, but it's a really great little thing.
I understand. I wanted to clarify that my Integrated currently has a headphone amp that sounds just as good as my Magni Heresy. So this would be a move to class A stand alone Pre/headphone amp. It's not like my situation is bad. I'm just wondering if the money in my current integrated could be get me more from a dedicated headphone amp while I save for more.

I'd say I'm listening to headphones 4x's as much these days.

I understand. I wanted to clarify that my Integrated currently has a headphone amp that sounds just as good as my Magni Heresy. So this would be a move to class A stand alone Pre/headphone amp. It's not like my situation is bad. I'm just wondering if the money in my current integrated could be get me more from a dedicated headphone amp while I save for more.

I'd say I'm listening to headphones 4x's as much these days.
I think you should just go all in ;)
I would love to give one of these a go
1617812181566.png

View attachment 94667
That's about 2k more than I wanted to spend on the head amp. LOL Thanks. I was eyeing the Focal Arche as it also has a dac. I've avoided tubes to date for my own reasons, but I will give this a look.

I'm also for a recommendation on a power amp in the 1k range that won't sound like total poo when I do need speakers in for the time being. My current rig has my TV through it as well, so I need something passable.

View attachment 94667

Well Kev rapping is something I can never unsee or unhear

Edit: I would like this Manley thing very much please.

I have no business wanting this, but ya, would really like this very much as well :)

I don’t really use headphones at all but pretty (which Manley very rarely are) and can be justified as the pre amp. I don’t have £4.5k right now though so it’s all a bit academic 😂

Edit: It’s also a headphone stand too!!! How cute!

I gave strong consideration to pairing my DWs with a Schiit Aegir class A power amp, but ultimately decided to try a tube amp (still awaiting my unit). The Aegir is well-regarded, costs only $799 per unit and should easily drive your Omens. Also, if you decide to upgrade in the future per #3, the Aegir appears to retain most of its value based on the eBay sales I've observed.

Last edited:
Back