Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I gave strong consideration to pairing my DWs with a Schiit Aegir class A power amp, but ultimately decided to try a tube amp (still awaiting my unit). The Aegir is well-regarded, costs only $799 per unit and should easily drive your DWs. Also, if you decide to upgrade in the future per #3, the Aegir appears to retain most of its value based on the eBay sales I've observed.

It’s a power amp for speakers though rather than a pre-amp/headphone amp?

I thought that was his second question. He wants to use the headphone amp as a preamp also, paired with a power amp/amps.
Yes that's right. I've got eyes on Headphone amps. I'm asking what power amps to shop for for now. And What Dual mono or mono's Might make sense for long term. Thanks!!!

Yes that's right. I've got eyes on Headphone amps. I'm asking what power amps to shop for for now. And What Dual mono or mono's Might make sense for long term. Thanks!!!

It totally bust the budget but 2 prima Luna power amps in mono mode would be sweet 😂

So I was recently looking for new earbuds but I'm thinking now I may want to bypass that and get some over ear headphones. I do about 95% of all my listening digitally, and was previously using a crappy pair of Philips ear buds that you can buy at the supermarket for $10.

Anyone have any recommendations for over ear headphones that are reasonably cheap that work with a standard headphone jack? I have glasses so fitting comfortably over glasses would be an important factor.

Did some looking online at different lists and came across these guys

Amazon product ASIN B01L1IICR2

So I was recently looking for new earbuds but I'm thinking now I may want to bypass that and get some over ear headphones. I do about 95% of all my listening digitally, and was previously using a crappy pair of Philips ear buds that you can buy at the supermarket for $10.

Anyone have any recommendations for over ear headphones that are reasonably cheap that work with a standard headphone jack? I have glasses so fitting comfortably over glasses would be an important factor.

I'll continue to cape for the Meze 99 Classics/Noirs. They're not exactly neutral but they're fun as hell, they're easy to drive, they look great, and I find them comfortable.

Some headphones are more power hungry and really crave a headphone amp to provide sufficient juice. The Mezes work great with laptops, cell phones, etc.
I read some reviews that mentioned the metal bar/frame causing sound issues. Does that happen for you? I like the style and price point of those. Compared to the Sennheiser ones I linked the price is good, I'm not an audiophile by any means so specs look decent, and the Mezes come with a nice carrying case as well.

Sennheisers are a solid choice all around. Haven't heard the 599s you listed, but have heard the 439 and HD 600s. My wife has the former and they are a good non-audiophile headphone, easily driven by her iPad and sounds better than cheap in-ears. The HD 600s were a very good headphone and I'd recommend them especially for the comfort factor (also a glasses wearer). Possibly harder to find and a bit more expensive.

If you can afford a bit more, consider the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX. Basically a relabeled HD 600 with solid reviews and praise. Drop: Passions lead here (you'll need a Drop account unfortunately).

If you want to explore the world of planar magnetic headphones look at Hifiman (HE-400 or HE400s), though these typically are heavier and might not meet your comfort needs. Also these will likely require a reasonable headphone amp.

I read some reviews that mentioned the metal bar/frame causing sound issues. Does that happen for you? I like the style and price point of those. Compared to the Sennheiser ones I linked the price is good, I'm not an audiophile by any means so specs look decent, and the Mezes come with a nice carrying case as well.
Not sure what sound issues they're referring to. It does conduct sound, so if you're taking it on and off or you ping the headband while you're wearing it, it will reverberate in the earcup. So I guess I would not recommend them for exercise or walking around in. But for sedentary use, no issues.

edit: the 99 Noirs are identical to the 99 Classics other than finish, and they only come with one, shorter cable rather than two, but they are $100 cheaper. You can get them on Drop.com.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you guys had converted me on the prima Luna for Power amps.

What’s the minimum I would need in a single power amp (for now) to drive my zu’s?

The 100 would drive the Zu’s no problem or would you recommend more power?

How much would I be giving up later if I didn’t get balance inputs?

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you guys had converted me on the prima Luna for Power amps.

What’s the minimum I would need in a single power amp (for now) to drive my zu’s?

The 100 would drive the Zu’s no problem or would you recommend more power?

How much would I be giving up later if I didn’t get balance inputs?
The Zus are 97db efficient, you can deafen yourself with literally 10-20W.

Back