Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thanks

I just get scared of making mistakes and wasting a good amount of money

Whether it be if the onzow destroys the stylus (it shouldn't but who knows maybe rich can tell us that) or the lp#9 ruining the glue (id believe that more) and having to spend so much money
I totally understand. This can be a very expensive hobby to be in, and seeking advice and reading reviews is something I do all the time too. But just when I think I've been able to form a solid idea on something from that advice and those reviews, I stumble upon some completely different opinion, which then casts doubt on everything. At a certain point we have to take a hopefully financially responsible plunge to find out for ourselves.

As far as the onzow and Grado question goes, I've used the onzow on a Grado Black, Grado Gold2, Grado Gold3 and 8mz stylus without issue. I'm with @kvetcha in that as long as you take care doing it, you should be fine but that's just my opinion of course.

I totally understand. This can be a very expensive hobby to be in, and seeking advice and reading reviews is something I do all the time too. But just when I think I've been able to form a solid idea on something from that advice and those reviews, I stumble upon some completely different opinion, which then casts doubt on everything. At a certain point we have to take a hopefully financially responsible plunge to find out for ourselves.

As far as the onzow and Grado question goes, I've used the onzow on a Grado Black, Grado Gold2, Grado Gold3 and 8mz stylus without issue. I'm with @kvetcha in that as long as you take care doing it, you should be fine but that's just my opinion of course.
Yeah just to add to this I totally understand why a company would not suggest anyone sinking their product into something that even a millimeter of movement would result in total destruction of said product. It makes sense, but I think with a little care most people are not likely to have an issue. The only resistance my 2M Black gave with the Blu tack was when it pulled a touch to remove a stubborn fibre. Other than that it was very smooth.

Though when I said professional I mean the audiophile consensus and tested ideas, (aficionado or connoisseur or even just hobbyist probably would have worked better) I do like seeing this premium level cleaner, it does look really interesting

Though I wonder why you'd need a CD cleaner

While smudges/dirt on a CD isn’t quite as problematic as on vinyl and there is a greater tollerance it isn’t absolute. Back in the 90s/00s I’d semi regularly have to clean a CD or use those lens cleaning CDs with the little brushes on the bottom.

so yeah i probably will just go get an onzow but i also wonder if i might just work better with a dry stylus brush (btw i read the article by the soundsmith guy about the blu tak, he was basically saying any adhesive material similar to that would work, no mention of onzow, plus its also easy to do with just a mr clean magic eraser).

ortofon definitely suggest not going with the onzow (or at least only VERY occasionally) because you got to be super delicate, but i am pretty sure a simple dry brush will not wipe off ALL the dried up dirt on my stylus from like 2 years, and i dunno what liquids would be safe for a wet clean with an ortofon or grado... i am definitely overthinking

Last edited:
i like the AT but wondering what the next step up would be once that time comes. assuming im at around 400 hours now.

If you fancy some artisan hand cut warming beef and mustard flavour crisps you could try the Opus3 and the Low Output one works with our phono stage.

Also I think I might have taken this analogy further than it stretched...

If you fancy some artisan hand cut warming beef and mustard flavour crisps you could try the Opus3 and the Low Output one works with our phono stage.

Also I think I might have taken this analogy further than it stretched...
Brannigans?

I think you just broke @Joe Mac ’s heart. And whatever it is, you sound like you are talking about Jack in the Box.

Good thick beef and mustard crisps with a kick like a mule. Perfection!

But, it’s ok, between Brexit and covid it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to get over to England for a long time yet anyway!

Back