Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Interesting to hear about the Grado/Zerodust discussion. I used one for years on both my old Grado blue and 8mz and never noticed any issues. Still using one now on my Ultratracker as well with no noticeable issues. Obviously the good people at Grado know way better than I do, but thought I would share my experience.
My guess is that they discourage it simply from the point that they don't want to be on the hook for replacement if someone uses it and screws up their stylus. Unfortunately with how litigious people are these days, companies are not going to recommend anything where misuse would lead to damage or the use of third-party products at all.

You really don't have to get a ZeroDust if you're using Blutac. It does the same job.
I'd rather have a zerodust because I feel nervous about blutac because I assume it's super sticky and I could break things.. but distantly grado AND ortofon say don't do it

My guess is that they discourage it simply from the point that they don't want to be on the hook for replacement if someone uses it and screws up their stylus. Unfortunately with how litigious people are these days, companies are not going to recommend anything where misuse would lead to damage or the use of third-party products at all.

Or it comes from 60 years experience ? I will take John and Rich Grado's advice. Maybe this is why Rich is reluctant to come over here much anymore ?

dukefan, Grado also does not recommend any liquid (LP9 for ie) on there stylus as it can get into the cantilever. Not sure about other manufacturers.

It's actually less sticky than a ZeroDust, which is why Peter Ledermann prefers it.
I dunno enough about Peter beyond the fact that people praise his cartridges

And I mean people praise rega turntables and the head believes you shouldn't clean your records because the needle will push it away. not everyone has correct answers

this person does not sound trustworthy
"If you keep your records stored in their sleeves avoid touching the playing surfaces and keep all water and fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Do not worry about visible dust on the record surface, this is brushed aside by the stylus during play. Dust collected on the stylus can be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning is overdone and one should not believe all the claims made by record cleaner manufacturers."

This was on multiple rega manuals
hence why I don't take one person's word to heart and just want to know a professional method instead of one person's usage

I'm probably going to get an onzow unless it legitimately is dangerous and if it is then I'll just get a brush and maybe a cleaning fluid

"If you keep your records stored in their sleeves avoid touching the playing surfaces and keep all water and fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Do not worry about visible dust on the record surface, this is brushed aside by the stylus during play. Dust collected on the stylus can be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning is overdone and one should not believe all the claims made by record cleaner manufacturers."

hence why I don't take one person's word to heart and just want to know a professional method instead of one person's usage

I'm probably going to get an onzow unless it legitimately is dangerous and if it is then I'll just get a brush and maybe a cleaning fluid
At a very high level, he's not incorrect, but even record cleaning can't guarantee there won't be any cruft in the grooves, so occasionally cleaning off the stylus is warranted.

You do you, Dukey. I'd be doing Blutac if I knew it were an option before I bought my Onzow, but I like the ZeroDust. Whatever keeps your stylus clean.

If you want professional record cleaning then this company designed their record cleaning machines specifically for, and in collaboration with, BBC radio back in the vinyl days.

You do you, Dukey. I'd be doing Blutac if I knew it were an option before I bought my Onzow, but I like the ZeroDust. Whatever keeps your stylus clean.
I do legit wish grado and ortofon or whatever moving coil cartridge company would give their opinion on stuff like the the LP#9 and stuff so I know if I can use that for heavy deep clean if an onzow isn't approved

If you want professional record cleaning then this company designed their record cleaning machines specifically for, and in collaboration with, BBC radio back in the vinyl days.

Though when I said professional I mean the audiophile consensus and tested ideas, (aficionado or connoisseur or even just hobbyist probably would have worked better) I do like seeing this premium level cleaner, it does look really interesting

Though I wonder why you'd need a CD cleaner

You do you, Dukey.
I think that's the real takeaway for any of us regarding anything in this hobby. There's a reason why there are so many opinions - it's a hobby based on enjoying one's own very subjective musical tastes, via equipment built around another's very subjective tastes and engineering ideas.

This hobby would be way less interesting if there were very many objective truths. Experimentation and experience can be a great way to find out what's right for you, and to me that's the best part.

Last edited:
I think that's the real takeaway for any of us regarding anything in this hobby. There's a reason why there are so many opinions - it's a hobby based on enjoying one's own very subjective musical tastes, via equipment built around another's very subjective tastes and engineering ideas.

This hobby would be way less interesting if there were very many objective truths. Experimentation and experience is the only way to find out what's right for you, and to me that's the best part.
Thanks

I just get scared of making mistakes and wasting a good amount of money

Whether it be if the onzow destroys the stylus (it shouldn't but who knows maybe rich can tell us that) or the lp#9 ruining the glue (id believe that more) and having to spend so much money

Thanks

I just get scared of making mistakes and wasting a good amount of money

Whether it be if the onzow destroys the stylus (it shouldn't but who knows maybe rich can tell us that) or the lp#9 ruining the glue (id believe that more) and having to spend so much money
I bent my stylus once, because the tracking force of my tonearm was too low and I accidentally knocked it. We all make mistakes, some more costly than others, but we learn from them and sometimes you have to make them to know. It is annoying but at the end of the day it is not that important compared to any other life events. This forum is especially great for all the advise but in the end we have to make decisions and just hope it’s the right one.

Last edited:
Yeah you definitely should not use anything involving liquid or gel with an ort. Supposedly the adhesive they use is very sensitive to any form of solvent, even a mild one, and you don’t want your diamond dropping off! If the manufacturer doesn’t recommend that I’d stick to the blu-tack/magic eraser periodically and stylus cleaner regularly.
I’ve seen this happen numerous times with Ortofon cartridges.

The case against Oznow: it’s sticky- so when you lift the stylus there’s a chance of the cantilever getting stuck and bent. Not a chance I’m willing to take.

Honestly, the before wasn't bad... But I didn't really figure out how to get a good close up picture until after. Here's the best before I got... I clean religiously with a carbon brush so aside from a few stubborn dust fibres it wasn't bad...
View attachment 83909
I think you might need to see a doctor.... What’s that?.... it’s a microscopic image of his stylus?... I stand by my previous statement.

I think you might need to see a doctor.... What’s that?.... it’s a microscopic image of his stylus?... I stand by my previous statement.
I mean I'm going to be perfectly honest here. The fact that it took like 34 posts before someone made a stylus/penis analogy is quite frankly disappointing. I don't know if you guys haven't had your coffee or cocaine or whatever today but seriously... we can do better.

Back