Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Fair point, thats definitely something I realize I'll have to deal with one way or another at the bookshelf size. I'm not opposed to adding a sub after the fact if it seems necessary.
This may be completely off your radar, but if space, wall distance and bass are check boxes, the Polks LSiM 703 do an amazing job of all three and have a beautiful sound to them. The rear "baffle" solved a lot of problem for placement for me and I still enjoy them.

I know they're out of production, but can still be had at a great price. Just an option ;)

This is true.. In my 10'x10' room, I'm currently running Forte III's and dual SVS SB2000's (opposing corners) with great results.
I have a single PC-12 Plus in a room four times the size of yours and I cannot even comprehend how dual subs must sound in that room.

This may be completely off your radar, but if space, wall distance and bass are check boxes, the Polks LSiM 703 do an amazing job of all three and have a beautiful sound to them. The rear "baffle" solved a lot of problem for placement for me and I still enjoy them.

I know they're out of production, but can still be had at a great price. Just an option ;)
Just did a quick search and these and they look interesting. Going to dive into them a bit deeper. I wouldn't say bass is one of my major concerns, but I'm not against supplementing with a sub if I find it lacking with whatever I end up choosing. Thanks!

I have a single PC-12 Plus in a room four times the size of yours and I cannot even comprehend how dual subs must sound in that room.
I just fired up my 7.1 channel Revel system in my basement theatre room (The Cave). It's known as The Cave because there's a rock wall that goes floor to ceiling on one end and the reflection off the wall is so severe that my room calibration system thought that 3 of my speakers were out of phase. This is going to be a challenge.

Last edited:
Just did a quick search and these and they look interesting. Going to dive into them a bit deeper. I wouldn't say bass is one of my major concerns, but I'm not against supplementing with a sub if I find it lacking with whatever I end up choosing. Thanks!
You wouldn't need subs with these, but everyone has different tastes when it comes to the low end ;)

Am I seeing this right that the Forte III's are $4000/pair? If so, just a bit out of my price range!
Sorry, I should have clarified: you can generally find a pair of Forte Is or Forte IIs in good condition for $1200 or less. The F3s are still quite spendy.

Fortes of any stripe are a great-sounding speaker, and give you the option of going with a low-power tube amp down the line. And they stretch pretty effortlessly into the low 30hz range.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have clarified: you can generally find a pair of Forte Is or Forte IIs in good condition for $1200 or less. The F3s are still quite spendy.

Fortes of any stripe are a great-sounding speaker, and give you the option of going with a low-power tube amp down the line. And they stretch pretty effortlessly into the low 30hz range.

Got it, that makes sense. Thanks!

Ha.. they actually disappear quite a bit. After a ton of experimenting with settings (The SVS App is awesome btw.. on the fly adjustments at seating position made dialing them both in easier) and placement, I have one in front right corner, one in back left corner. Both are angled slightly into the room. They are crossed over at 50 with a 12db slope. Front one is at -36/60 volume with phase 0. Rear (which is a bit closer to me) is at -41/60 and phased 180 because its firing towards the Forte's. In a couple years I'll have a bigger room for this setup and I think it will only help. But in the meantime I'm enjoying the room at both low and silly loud levels.

At some point in the future I may look into using some of the room reading software to really dial them in, but tbh i haven't really thought about them in here in a month or so. They're just there at this point..

Ha.. they actually disappear quite a bit. After a ton of experimenting with settings (The SVS App is awesome btw.. on the fly adjustments at seating position made dialing them both in easier) and placement, I have one in front right corner, one in back left corner. Both are angled slightly into the room. They are crossed over at 50 with a 12db slope. Front one is at -36/60 volume with phase 0. Rear (which is a bit closer to me) is at -41/60 and phased 180 because its firing towards the Forte's. In a couple years I'll have a bigger room for this setup and I think it will only help. But in the meantime I'm enjoying the room at both low and silly loud levels.

At some point in the future I may look into using some of the room reading software to really dial them in, but tbh i haven't really thought about them in here in a month or so. They're just there at this point..
What’s hilarious is that ‘silly loud’ is probably like...6 watts.

I think you’ll be pretty impressed how well both the Fortes and the SVS scale once you get them in a bigger space.

I think you’ll be pretty impressed how well both the Fortes and the SVS scale once you get them in a bigger space.
Yeah my 800 Watt B10 is set to like 10% level on the rear controls and my room correction still wants to lower it another 10 db.

I just fired up my 7.1 channel Revel system in my basement theatre room (The Cave). It's known as The Cave because there's a rock wall that goes floor to ceiling on one end and the reflection off the wall is so severe that my room calibration system thought that 3 of my speakers were out of phase. This is going to be a challenge.
I wondered if you had a system in there and what the hell that was gonna do when I saw the photo.

Got it, that makes sense. Thanks!
Also, this is an outside shot, but I saw these on Craigslist in your area and...$350 is not bad if they’re in good shape (which it looks like they are). They’re a ‘tier’ below the Fortes in terms of their reputation, but are regarded as a really balanced, efficient, punchy speaker. And at $350 you’d have room in your budget to buy a tube amp to power them.

They’d certainly be worth a listen, since it appears the seller’s willing to demo.

ALSO: They are front-ported, which is actually nice for your near-wall configuration.

I wondered if you had a system in there and what the hell that was gonna do when I saw the photo.
Haha I know, there's literally nothing i can do with that wall. But there's going to be a 10 seater couch and a 125 projector screen that will be in there soon. So that will HOPEFULLY dampen it a bit and the screen will almost completely block the wall during movies. So that should help with reflections. For music when the screen is up it definitely sounds like you're listening in a cave. But that's not likely to be a main listening room either way. The better system is upstairs.

You might be right.. its only 20 watts Class A and I can't go past 11am on the dial in this room.. lol

My JoLida is 70wpc. The dial starts at 6 o'clock, and almost all my listening is between 7 and 8. 9 is deafening.

Which is the main reason I'm considering a lower power amp.

I have much less efficient speakers than you and my 40wpc tube amp has more than ample power for anything I’ll ever need!

Back