Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Discogs did a whole "how to hifi at any price range"

Every turntable was a project, from a essentials to a X2. And it includes everything from integrated amp and speakers

Well that didn't help since I don't need speakers or a big integrated amp, and I already got a headphone amp and maybe preamp. I just wanted to know for the budget the best turntable and cartridge in the 1000-1500 range
LOL at the first comment
1603048224123.png

Two weeks in, and the Studiodeck and Moon 110LP combo is sounding great. Been getting into some of my jazz and instrumental records, and they really are a treat. Especially my (small sampling of) Tone Poet releases. I got my hands on the new Sign O’ The Times remaster this weekend while on a bit of a road trip, and can’t wait to spin it tomorrow.

LOL at the first comment
View attachment 70844
a lot of the people are bagging on them for saying "why not just buy used"

i get that i have gotten a few great things used (my headphones, my preamp, some good funk and dance records, and soon my next phono cartridge), but you have to deal with the fluctuating used market as well as more than likely have to do at least SOME repair work on your turntable.. used is a great option but its also kinda fidley

as for the fact its all pro-ject turntables... i'm going to gamble its mostly because its the most popular turntable brand that audiophiles can respect and they are a pretty safe bet, i would have prefered to see other options like a rega, a VPI, a music hall, hell even a higher tier crosley, but availability is mostly project or nothing

So...who wants to help me spend some money! It's time for a long overdue speaker upgrade, so I am curious to hear some recommendations from you fine folks. I realize speaker recommendations can be tough because everyone likes different sound, but if anyone has any thoughts on the speakers I listed or has any other options I should have on my radar based on my budget/setup please let me know.

Some important details...
  • Budget: $1,500 max for speakers only
  • Current Setup: MoFi Studiodeck with UltraTracker - MoFi StudioPhono (just purchased, as you may have seen in the deals thread) - Marantz PM6005 Amp
  • Room Size: My listening room is also my home office, which is just a spare bedroom, so its a small square layout (approx. 12x12). Placement will need to be fairly close to the wall unfortunately.
Because of the small size of the room and limited space, I am obviously leaning towards bookshelf options. If space allowed I would probably already own the Dirty Weekends by now, but I think they are just unfortunately too big for the room.

A few options that I have had my eye on:
  • KEF - LS50 Meta - These are kind of the leader in my head right now. Have read some good things about this updated model and the review on YouTube from Guttenberg was very intriguing.
  • Wharfdale - Denton 85th Anniversary - The Linton 85th Anniversary also interest me, but again worried a bit about the size.
  • Bowers And Wilkins - 707 S2
I am probably not going to be able to audition these before buying, but will hopefully purchase from somewhere like Music Direct with a generous trial/return policy.

One final note on the Marantz amp...please do let me know if you think that is limiting me in any way. It'll be the one leftover component of my previous system after this speaker upgrade, but I have no issues with it so would prefer to keep it for now as long as it's not holding everything else back.

Thanks!!!

So...who wants to help me spend some money! It's time for a long overdue speaker upgrade, so I am curious to hear some recommendations from you fine folks. I realize speaker recommendations can be tough because everyone likes different sound, but if anyone has any thoughts on the speakers I listed or has any other options I should have on my radar based on my budget/setup please let me know.

• Current Setup: MoFi Studiodeck with UltraTracker - MoFi StudioPhono (just purchased, as you may have seen in the deals thread) - Marantz PM6005 Amp
  • Room Size: My listening room is also my home office, which is just a spare bedroom, so its a small square layout (approx. 12x12). Placement will need to be fairly close to the wall unfortunately.
Because of the small size of the room and limited space, I am obviously leaning towards bookshelf options. If space allowed I would probably already own the Dirty Weekends by now, but I think they are just unfortunately too big for the room.

• KEF - LS50 Meta - These are kind of the leader in my head right now. Have read some good things about this updated model and the review on YouTube from Guttenberg was very intriguing.
  • Wharfdale - Denton 85th Anniversary - The Linton 85th Anniversary also interest me, but again worried a bit about the size.
I am probably not going to be able to audition these before buying, but will hopefully purchase from somewhere like Music Direct with a generous trial/return policy.

One final note on the Marantz amp...please do let me know if you think that is limiting me in any way. It'll be the one leftover component of my previous system after this speaker upgrade, but I have no issues with it so would prefer to keep it for now as long as it's not holding everything else back.

Thanks!!!
My personal recommendation is the following:

https://www.revelspeakers.com/products/types/bookshelf/M16-.html?dwvar_M16-_color=White-USA-Current

I have the F36 Floorstanding Loudspeakers and they sound fantastic 👏
From what I understand anything in the Concerta2 lineup sounds great and you won't have to break the bank!

My personal recommendation is the following:

M16 | 2-way 6.5" Bookshelf Loudspeaker

I have the F36 Floorstanding Loudspeakers and they sound fantastic 👏
From what I understand anything in the Concerta2 lineup sounds great and you won't have to break the bank!

Thanks! I hadn't looked into those. Will definitely add to the list and do some research on them.

Thanks!!!
I’ve had a pair of Lintons here for a while for a write up for the forum. Without giving up much, I love them but I see the stands as a necessity, not an option.

I’ve had a pair of Lintons here for a while for a write up for the forum. Without giving up much, I love them but I see the stands as a necessity, not an option.
Interesting, good to know! Looking forward to that write up to hear more. Any experience with the Dentons?

All three options seem well-regarded. The KEFs look fantastic, and I've generally heard good things; there were a handful of folks who did not like them compared to the previous model, though that probably just speaks to how one gets used to one's own setup.

If it were me, though, I'd budget for a subwoofer. You lose a lot of SPL below 100hz going bookshelf.

Back