Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Had this with my M6i. It was a WiFi powerline that was arsing it up.

Also completely screwed with my previous phono (Trichord Dino) to the extent I switched to a Slee (which is ace).

Was the WiFi powerline next to your setup? How did you fix it?

I don't have a WiFi powerline, just a modem and router in another room. I did notice that there's what i think are the old telephone landline cable or an antenna cable along the bottom of the wall behind my setup.

Still weighing my options on new speakers. I have it down to

If i do Passive - Sprout100 w/ Klipsch RP-600m or Audioengine HDP6

If I do Powered - Edifier s2000 mkIII or Audioengine HD6

The thing is, I'd possibly like the option to add a Tape Deck/CD Player down the line, which means if I go the powered route it means the Edifiers since it has two RCA connections. I like the Edifiers alot and they are half the price of Audioengines (and 1/4 of the passive combos) but the Audioengines have heavy mentions of their analog amplifiers as opposed to digital like most powered speakers.

Does this mean anything? I would think for primarily music listening, this is a huge plus but I obviously don't know much about this area.

The thing is, I'd possibly like the option to add a Tape Deck/CD Player down the line, which means if I go the powered route it means the Edifiers since it has two RCA connections. I like the Edifiers alot and they are half the price of Audioengines (and 1/4 of the passive combos) but the Audioengines have heavy mentions of their analog amplifiers as opposed to digital like most powered speakers.

Does this mean anything? I would think for primarily music listening, this is a huge plus but I obviously don't know much about this area.
How about Genelec if you want powered speakers? Used in lots of studios, and they offer a clean crisp sound.

How about Genelec if you want powered speakers? Used in lots of studios, and they offer a clean crisp sound.

I'm not really an audiophile but do appreciate good sound. The ones above seem like they will more than satisfy that requirement and it is extremely important that they have a matching aesthetic to my setup already (My turntable is orbit special in walnut). My wife does not care for the amount of room this hobby takes up (which is fair because we are in a New York townhouse), so it is at least important that it keeps a general nice look to keep her happy. So I'm only really considering Walnut colored speakers.

I'm not necessarily considering just Powered. @kvetcha and @Joe Mac did a good job convincing me that I can take advantage of a passive + amp setup while giving some good recommendations to keep my aesthetic and footprint, which is why I have the Sprout and passive speaker combos under consideration too. I'm just not completely ruling out those two powered options yet since they are a much lower cost and I am not necessarily sure yet I want to go down the audiophile hole of always wanting to tinker and upgrade, since I don't think I'd fully appreciate anyway. Simplicity is important for me (which is why the Sprout will be the route I go if passive is my ultimate choice).

Last edited:

You could also get a Schiit Sys if you went powered but really wanted the Audioengines. For $49, it would allow you to add another input to your system

So does anyone know about the Audioengine Analog amplifiers in their speakers? Worth it or just marketing hype?

I can’t find any independent reviews which always makes me suspicious with a product and their claims...

I know you mentioned the klipsch above as speaker option for passive but have you considered these? Really well reviewed, similarly priced and, IMO, much better looking if aesthetics is still really important.

I can’t find any independent reviews which always makes me suspicious with a product and their claims...

I know you mentioned the klipsch above as speaker option for passive but have you considered these? Really well reviewed, similarly priced and, IMO, much better looking if aesthetics is still really important.

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful and I agree better looking that the Klipsch. MusicDirect has the Walnut in as well which is a plus and they're significantly smaller than the Klipsch, which my wife will also like..

An advantage of the RP-600m is that I saw multiple reviews mention how well they worked with the Sprout. And the fact that their sale price today is so much lower than the normal price is appealing (though the higher retail could just be the name).

Thanks, I think these with the Sprout may have just hopped to the top of my list on the passive side.

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful and I agree better looking that the Klipsch. MusicDirect has the Walnut in as well which is a plus and they're significantly smaller than the Klipsch, which my wife will also like..

An advantage of the RP-600m is that I saw multiple reviews mention how well they worked with the Sprout. And the fact that their sale price today is so much lower than the normal price is appealing (though the higher retail could just be the name).

Thanks, I think these with the Sprout may have just hopped to the top of my list on the passive side.

I don’t think the sprout is the most picky to be honest, while the Klipsch are efficient speakers that would work well with most amps ps audio recommends, and sells with, the Elac debuts which eat power, it should work just fine with those dentons too.

I don’t think the sprout is the most picky to be honest, while the Klipsch are efficient speakers that would work well with most amps ps audio recommends, and sells with, the Elac debuts which eat power, it should work just fine with those dentons too.

That's what I'm thinking. The klipsch today just seemed the most best buy in terms of looks, cost, and performance but the Dentons may have them beat (a little more on price, but I think much nicer in looks and the size was one of my biggest concerns on the Klipsch). Those plus the Sprout would set me back about $1200. Way more than either powered set, but I think I'm leaning in that direction now.

There are ways to add inputs. This is my input selector: Five Input Source Tabletop Control Switch Box Internal Pc Board Design Metal Case

That's what I'm thinking. The klipsch today just seemed the most best buy in terms of looks, cost, and performance but the Dentons may have them beat (a little more on price, but I think much nicer in looks and the size was one of my biggest concerns on the Klipsch). Those plus the Sprout would set me back about $1200. Way more than either powered set, but I think I'm leaning in that direction now.

and just remember you’ll need to get a pair of speaker cables too when you’re buying them. blue jeans cables are rated around here as a good price/quality balance but also if you’re getting the amp/speakers from the same dealer chat to them and see if they’ll do you a deal on a set.

Edit: And make sure you measure the distance from where the sprout will be to them (including any fall off a stand and rise up speaker stands if necessary) before getting speaker cable, don’t want to come up short on one side!

Last edited:
@wynn72 , this rec is seconded. I have the Wharfedale Dentons in red mahogany and the real wood finish looks even better in person. The sound they produce is nice too. If you are willing to wait a bit, open box deals for $399 show up frequently at Music Direct. I've bought two open box items from there that may as well have been brand new for all I could tell.

I'd have to look into it, but I imagine it's mostly marketing.

and just remember you’ll need to get a pair of speaker cables too when you’re buying them. blue jeans cables are rated around here as a good price/quality balance but also if you’re getting the amp/speakers from the same dealer chat to them and see if they’ll do you a deal on a set.

Edit: And make sure you measure the distance from where the sprout will be to them (including any fall off a stand and rise up speaker stands if necessary) before getting speaker cable, don’t want to come up short on one side!

@wynn72 , this rec is seconded. I have the Wharfedale Dentons in red mahogany and the real wood finish looks even better in person. The sound they produce is nice too. If you are willing to wait a bit, open box deals for $399 show up frequently at Music Direct. I've bought two open box items from there that may as well have been brand new for all I could tell.

Officially pulled the trigger on the Dentons and Sprout today. Thanks for the recommendations and help (and showing me it was possible to have a nice Passive setup in a smaller space). Really excited for this setup and looks like it fits what I wanted perfectly (despite double the price but w/e).

Stupid Question as I'm new to the passive setup and on my powered speakers you only needed to hookup one to the turntabe and the speaker wire went to the other.
I have some BlueJeans cables in my cart. I have a BJC LC-1 for the Orbit to Sprout, and then a Ten White for Sprout to the Dentons. I actually need a Ten White for each speaker for passive, correct? (Didnt predict cables would be so much but good thing it's my Amazon Credit Card Reward points day)

Officially pulled the trigger on the Dentons and Sprout today. Thanks for the recommendations and help (and showing me it was possible to have a nice Passive setup in a smaller space). Really excited for this setup and looks like it fits what I wanted perfectly (despite double the price but w/e).

Stupid Question as I'm new to the passive setup and on my powered speakers you only needed to hookup one to the turntabe and the speaker wire went to the other.
I have some BlueJeans cables in my cart. I have a BJC LC-1 for the Orbit to Sprout, and then a Ten White for Sprout to the Dentons. I actually need a Ten White for each speaker for passive, correct? (Didnt predict cables would be so much but good thing it's my Amazon Credit Card Reward points day)

Yeah you need a pair of speaker wires, one for each channel, so make sure to order a quantity of two from blue jeans because they sell speaker cable individually. And yes one LC1 from the orbit to the sprout. Also, if you have the orbit with the built in Pluto preamp make sure to turn it off before connecting to the sprout, the sprout has one itself when you connect to the vinyl input. A double RIAA curve amplification sounds baaaaad!

Back