Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@HiFi Guy the McIntosh guy stopped responding. Decided to scratch my itch for new electronics with an Adcom GFA- 545 II. I purchased it on Reverb from someone who had it “upgraded” at big sky audio in 2012. Will use with my NAD integrated as the preamp.

That’s a good amp. You did well. If you decide to upgrade further, Adcom made a few really good preamps too.

That’s a good amp. You did well. If you decide to upgrade further, Adcom made a few really good preamps too.
I would like to do that very thing I have room left as I came in way under what I felt comfortable spending as it was $546 shipped. Would a preamp of the same generation be a worthwhile addition in your opinion.

I would like to do that very thing I have room left as I came in way under what I felt comfortable spending as it was $546 shipped. Would a preamp of the same generation be a worthwhile addition in your opinion.

The GFP-565 is a nice preamp. The Nelson Pass designed GFP-750 even better if you have a separate phono stage.

Decided to buy more gear to have something to look forward to adding a sound artist pre-1 hybrid preamp to go along with the new adcom 545. Thank you once again to everyone here whom has ever helped me along my audio journey. Come along way since my Dayton Audio speakers and Sony AVR. Every purchase has been influenced by members of this forum, once again, thank you all.

So I’ve just watched 2 YT videos about how you should not be placing your equipment between the speakers and that it is recommended to keep your equipment off to the side. Anyone practice that witchcraft?

So I’ve just watched 2 YT videos about how you should not be placing your equipment between the speakers and that it is recommended to keep your equipment off to the side. Anyone practice that witchcraft?

Kinda depends on the positioning of the speakers. If they’re behind the plane of the speaker I don’t see why it should matter.

Kinda depends on the positioning of the speakers. If they’re behind the plane of the speaker I don’t see why it should matter.

I don’t normally go down audiophile Avenue. I don’t posses the mental fortitude but occasionally I will watch one thing that leads to another and then I’m like, oh really. My speakers have been placed out in front for a while now, so I’m not overly concerned. It’s something that was new to me.

The person whom I purchased the adcom 545 mk II failed to mention that it did not include a power cable. How do I determine what kind of power cable I need. Can I use any cable I have with the same three prong female end like for a desktop pc.

Last edited:
If the power cord from a computer fits, then it will work. If not, can you share a picture of the plug? All the pictures I can find on Google show a built-in power cord.

It just has the typical three prong like my integrated, pc, avr, etc.
May be worth looking into a Pangea cable or something similar. Folks swear by the improvements in the sounds due to the cleanliness of power being provided to the unit. I picked up a couple from Zu's eBay page for cheap and feel similarly.

Are the Zu Mission loudspeaker cables a good fit for my Marantz? The speaker connects are the push button/oval open where the wire goes through. Looking at the Mission, it has the horseshoe ends. My gut is telling me no but I just wanted to check with the experts.

E406D5C6-F9FA-49B5-A091-0EB1A226DBEA.jpeg

Are the Zu Mission loudspeaker cables a good fit for my Marantz? The speaker connects are the push button/oval open where the wire goes through. Looking at the Mission, it has the horseshoe ends. My gut is telling me no but I just wanted to check with the experts.

View attachment 61459

Only if they sell them with the option to have one end as bare wire.

Ok. Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, Zu will allow you to select the bare wire option when purchasing (either at their shop or eBay). They do respond pretty well to e-mails though if you've got a question. Had a lengthy discussion with one of their employees when trying to pinpoint where a speaker hum was originating.

Back