Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I imagine the phono stage in the Sprout is an upgrade from the Pluto.
Id imagine anything that isn’t the notorious inbuilt on the AT LP120 is an upgrade on the Pluto, that thing doesn’t have the greatest of reputations!

Well that will be an extra bonus then. I obviously have the built in pre-amp as I was pretty sure I was going to stick to the powered route forever when I picked up my Orbit. I've never had an issue with it, but also have never had the most robust sound system anyway.

I started with an Audio Technica LP60 hooked into a soundbar (I know its terrible, at least I knew better than to get a crosley).

When I realized this was going to be a real hobby for me quickly upgraded to my Orbit Uturn special with built in phono hooked to Edifier 1280s. I knew these were compromises in the speak department but sounded good for cost and I lived in a tiny NYC apartment so anything much better would have been obnoxious on both size and to my neigbors.

Still love my Orbit Uturn dearly but really looking forward to this long awaited speaker upgrade.

Well that will be an extra bonus then. I obviously have the built in pre-amp as I was pretty sure I was going to stick to the powered route forever when I picked up my Orbit. I've never had an issue with it, but also have never had the most robust sound system anyway.

I started with an Audio Technica LP60 hooked into a soundbar (I know its terrible, at least I knew better than to get a crosley).

When I realized this was going to be a real hobby for me quickly upgraded to my Orbit Uturn special with built in phono hooked to Edifier 1280s. I knew these were compromises in the speak department but sounded good for cost and I lived in a tiny NYC apartment so anything much better would have been obnoxious on both size and to my neigbors.

Still love my Orbit Uturn dearly but really looking forward to this long awaited speaker upgrade.

The u turn isn’t a bad table by any stretch and I completely get buying with the Pluto when you had powered speakers, I’d still say though to anyone buying a uturn new that is set on the Pluto for budget or whatever to get the external rather than in built, then if you upgrade its completely gone. However, the good thing is that it turns off and doesn’t affect the signal now that you have a better one in the integrated!

Last edited:

I used a Pluto for a couple of years and was satisfied with it, but I was floored once I upgraded and realized what a difference the phono made.

I hope you love the system! Send pictures and impressions once you're set up!

Last edited:
Hey y'all, my buddy has the Onkyo 8020 and I'm wondering where he should start with a phono stage that's enough of a step up over the on board to make it a worthwhile purchase? Thoughts?

Hey y'all, my buddy has the Onkyo 8020 and I'm wondering where he should start with a phono stage that's enough of a step up over the on board to make it a worthwhile purchase? Thoughts?

If the musical fidelity LX2-LPS is equally well priced up there (is £200 UK and $300 US) it seems to have jumped ahead of the pho 8 and studiophono as the favoured entry level phono stage around here. For less it seems that the schitt is the standout.

While a slipmat can be considered an upgrade, this is definitely eye-catching for the audiophile-gamer in your life :)

Was I wrong in thinking that my adcom gfa 545 would be capable of playing my elac f5.2 louder then my nad c 326 bee, also how much does my pre amp effect this ?

Anyone have any experience with the Wireworld or Supra power stations and their power cables? I'm looking at either the Wireworld Matrix 2 with the Stratus 7 power cable or the Supra MD06 MkIII with their LoRad power cable.

I'm hoping to decide on one of these before i loose my mind and pick the Ifi Audion Powerstation lol

I feel this every day.

But man, it's worth it for the good stuff.
I’m sure it is. I just can’t do it personally. I like so many different genres of music and can’t do Steve’s solution of having a different system for each genre I like haha. I think I just wouldn’t enjoy listening to music anymore if I had to worry about every record I buy sounding perfect on my system.

I’m sure it is. I just can’t do it personally. I like so many different genres of music and can’t do Steve’s solution of having a different system for each genre I like haha. I think I just wouldn’t enjoy listening to music anymore if I had to worry about every record I buy sounding perfect on my system.

I mean, I think my system sounds pretty good with everything I throw at it, but it definitely reveals the flaws in poorly produced music.

And this is why I think "most" shouldn't pine over a "high end" system. A good/solid entry level system will give you more consistency across the board in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to downgrade, but over the years I have noticed albums that I thought sounded great on my U-Turn / Gold2 w8MZ / NAD / Pho8, that now don't sound quite the same, that being said, they aren't the greatest pressings, but there in lies the trade off I guess.

I like seeing people get excited about upgrading their systems, but I think Steve and others, including members of this forum, have tried to help the understanding of starting with "what you're looking for" sound wise and staying within your budget, there is a good system to be had at just about any budget. I'm glad I have 2 systems, but that is by no means my offered solution to anyone, lol.

I look at it this way, systems are funnels when it comes to quality sound from vinyl, your options shrink more and more as your gear heads up the ladder, one of the reasons I've gone quality over quantity.

I mean, I think my system sounds pretty good with everything I throw at it, but it definitely reveals the flaws in poorly produced music.
Yea--and I think ultimately, that's where I want to get to. I'm happy with my current setup, but know I can improve quite a few areas. My plan has been to upgrade one bigger piece in my chain each year. I do kind of have two setups...my old Pro-Ject which was my first TT and then my Vinyl Nirvana Thorens which is my main unit. The Pro-ject is my secondary listening setup right now with a cheap preamp. When I upgrade my main system, I'll likely move the pre-amp from that over to my Pro-Ject setup. I've also started switching my living room/TV setup to a Sonos surround system which will allow me to move over to a 2 channel setup for record listening. We're beginning to house hunt now so I don't plan on doing any HUGE upgrades for the next year or so until we move. Eventually I'll look to get a Sutherland Insight or 20/20 and some Zu's I think and that will likely be my end game system maybe with a new amp...

I think Steve and others, including members of this forum, have tried to help the understanding of starting with "what you're looking for" sound wise and staying within your budget, there is a good system to be had at just about any budget.

I've been spending some time on the Hoffman forums (mostly because I wanted to get access to the classifieds section) and man...that place is a hell hole when it comes to people asking for recommendations for gear. It's what makes this place so much better. Someone asked for a recommendation for a system around $1,000 - $1,500 that's an upgrade from their AT-120. Around here, people would be helpful and make some good recommendations. On Hoffman, people were giving the guy recommendations that cost $5k+ and said he can't possibly get an improved system for only $1,500 hah.

Yea--and I think ultimately, that's where I want to get to. I'm happy with my current setup, but know I can improve quite a few areas. My plan has been to upgrade one bigger piece in my chain each year. I do kind of have two setups...my old Pro-Ject which was my first TT and then my Vinyl Nirvana Thorens which is my main unit. The Pro-ject is my secondary listening setup right now with a cheap preamp. When I upgrade my main system, I'll likely move the pre-amp from that over to my Pro-Ject setup. I've also started switching my living room/TV setup to a Sonos surround system which will allow me to move over to a 2 channel setup for record listening. We're beginning to house hunt now so I don't plan on doing any HUGE upgrades for the next year or so until we move. Eventually I'll look to get a Sutherland Insight or 20/20 and some Zu's I think and that will likely be my end game system maybe with a new amp...

I've been spending some time on the Hoffman forums (mostly because I wanted to get access to the classifieds section) and man...that place is a hell hole when it comes to people asking for recommendations for gear. It's what makes this place so much better. Someone asked for a recommendation for a system around $1,000 - $1,500 that's an upgrade from their AT-120. Around here, people would be helpful and make some good recommendations. On Hoffman, people were giving the guy recommendations that cost $5k+ and said he can't possibly get an improved system for only $1,500 hah.
There are a LOT of insecure dickheads on that forum. The kind of people whose entire identity are based on the perception that they know more than everyone else and cannot possibly learn a single thing that they don't already know. And also that their systems are better than every other system on the planet. It's annoying, and juvenile.

Last edited:
Was I wrong in thinking that my adcom gfa 545 would be capable of playing my elac f5.2 louder then my nad c 326 bee, also how much does my pre amp effect this ?
Based on the specs, you're bringing more power to the equation with the Adcom, so you should be fine. A preamp could add additional gain, which could add a little more oomph, but it probably wouldn't be necessary. Will you be using the NAD as the preamp with the Adcom? If so, you'd easily be able to quickly A/B compare the amps

that place is a hell hole when it comes to people asking for recommendations for gear.
I gave up on visiting that forum a long time ago, I'm sure there are some helpful people buried over there, some that I know from this forum, but I just don't have the patience for the attitude and elitist mentality that most carry over there. It takes all the fun out of the hobby and just kills it for the new people coming in. Yes, there are bare minimums to what I would deem a "quality" starter system, but that's no reason not to offer advise to anything less, we're not all made of money or have the need to spend thousands on a vinyl rig.

Based on the specs, you're bringing more power to the equation with the Adcom, so you should be fine. A preamp could add additional gain, which could add a little more oomph, but it probably wouldn't be necessary. Will you be using the NAD as the preamp with the Adcom? If so, you'd easily be able to quickly A/B compare the amps
I was using the nad as the pre and now I have a sound artist pre-1 tube pre amp from China perceivably they both play the adcom at the same volume levels but the tube pre amp is definitely different sounding then the nad. Overall the adcom seems to after about 20 hours Of listening sound different in a positive way when compared to the nad, the bass seems to be more controlled, everything seems more refined, and vocals especially with the tube pre are much more enjoyable sounding.

Back