Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I am a newb when it comes to AMPs, I am currently using a $30 Lepai and have been wanting to upgrade for some time but continue running in circles if it's even worth upgrading. I've got a budget for something under $500, doing some research I've added a couple to my wishlist, the

Yamaha A-S301BL & Sony STRDH190 & the Onkyo A-9150 (however it's been out of stock for some time)

I honestly don't know what I should be looking for when making a decision on an amp and am looking for any insight or advice that y'all may use when making this decision.

If it helps I am currently using Polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf Speakers with a Pro Ject Phono Preamp

I am a newb when it comes to AMPs, I am currently using a $30 Lepai and have been wanting to upgrade for some time but continue running in circles if it's even worth upgrading. I've got a budget for something under $500, doing some research I've added a couple to my wishlist, the

Yamaha A-S301BL & Sony STRDH190 & the Onkyo A-9150 (however it's been out of stock for some time)

I honestly don't know what I should be looking for when making a decision on an amp and am looking for any insight or advice that y'all may use when making this decision.

If it helps I am currently using Polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf Speakers with a Pro Ject Phono Preamp

My dad actually ran his Klipschorns over a Lepai for a little while, though he was running THAT through a MiniDSP for room EQ. There's nothing wrong with it!

I've been absolutely thrilled with my NAD 326BEE. I think I got a refurbished unit from Safe and Sound for $400. Not a ton of bells and whistles, but the sound is amazing.

I’d skip the Sony but look seriously at the NAD C326BEE. Fifty bucks over budget but worth every penny.

I’d skip the Sony but look seriously at the NAD326BEE. Fifty bucks over budget but worth every penny.

Must've beaten you by a millisecond with my post LOL.

Have you looked at Denon? With this one you could get an open box for $512. I don't have this model but I'm partial to Denon and Marantz.

The Onkyo seems to be out of the running so choosing between what you found I would most certainly go with the Yamaha over the Sony. Mostly because I would believe their WPC number over Sony and don't feel Sony has been much of a contender for a while in the audio space. Just my opinion/rambling.

I've been absolutely thrilled with my NAD 326BEE. I think I got a refurbished unit from Safe and Sound for $400. Not a ton of bells and whistles, but the sound is amazing.

Exactly. Everything one needs (as long as they have a phono stage) and nothing one doesn’t. My top priorities are reliability and great sound.

@Ethos99 mentioned Denon and Marantz. I’ll agree with Marantz, although I’d buy the NAD first. I’d skip the Denon. Mediocre.

@Ethos99 mentioned Denon and Marantz. I’ll agree with Marantz, although I’d buy the NAD first. I’d skip the Denon. Mediocre.

Having had both and they being owned by the same company, they seem the same to me except you pay a little more for Marantz marketing.

That said, I have little experience with NAD but would trust @HiFi Guy 's recommendation. Is there a way he could get a demo/scratch and dent for less?

Having had both and they being owned by the same company, they seem the same to me except you pay a little more for Marantz marketing.

That said, I have little experience with NAD but would trust @HiFi Guy 's recommendation. Is there a way he could get a demo/scratch and dent for less?

Build quality is better on the Marantz and they do sound different.

Lmao it was late, I'll give you that 😂 wallet thanks you for any minor grace at this stage too! Solid point on the speaker cable. No part of the setup is here yet so it's all flying in the dark a bit with regard to where everything might sit but as you say, it seems as though a meter length in general would allow for flexibility moving forward as opposed to trying to tailor it to the cm.

Thank you very much, lovely to be here.

Appreciate the recommendation and further reassurance of the one ordered. I looked at the Pioneer PLX-1000 but think it's a little far above the current price range for starting out. Saying this as I had initially (actually before that is even more of a laugh but more on that later) landed on the AT LP120X for £200 and managed to cheekily expand the budget to double for the Project Debut Carbon Esprit with a mixture of "oh but how nice does this look" and "but if we wanted the acrylic platter eventually we'd be paying more".

So I should quit while ahead in that regard. My in-mind upgrade for this down the line was a refurbished Technics 1200 Mk2 for around £650-800 - again, ignorant to most of this in these early days so going by the reputation. Interested to hear your thoughts around that but for now I have to be happy I'm starting with a well regarded TT in the Esprit.

I am most fortunate to be in their presence then. These are hallowed grounds in this initial time of uncertainty and anxiety and you all have been most accomodating.

They truly have, yourself included! Thank you and I will definitely be sure to. Can't wait.... .... ...but will have to for a bit as rather amusingly everything will be sat in boxes until the stand is decided on and bought/made. My partner is more involved in the home aesthetic department and considering this was originally put forward as a "it would be cool to be able to play records, let's get some £80 player - it would be fun!" I think it might be rather wise to exercise some patience on that front lol 😂

Looking to go for a solid wood little stand with three vertical layers - record player atop, amp underneath, records underneath that - and some speaker stands either side for the RP-600M's. Had originally thought of one of the long open rectangle ones with the items atop and vinyls in the center but wanted to avoid concerns around a) having speakers atop the same surface as the record player and b) having them in the center with dividers but then being closed into the unit rather than open on stands. Hopefully that makes some sense in both the concerns and planned solution.

So once the stand(s) are decided upon and here, and I've no doubt had a number more posts around what cable goes where and toning my forearms (or was that adjusting the tonearm? 🤔😄) I would be overjoyed to share my initial foray. Also going to love exploring this place and seeing more of what spins in the world of playing records!
I've just skimmed through this thread, apologies, if the amp side of your question has been answered! I'm UK based and I have the Onkyo, although possibly the pre-refresh version; I got mine in 2018.

I really like it, although I don't have the greatest system to test it with - I currently have a terrible plastic Ariston turntable from the 90s and a set of speakers from the 80s, so I can't give a definitive report on it. All in all, it sounds great, and if you're on a tight budget having a phono stage in the amp is a bonus - it could start you off and you could then add an external in further down the track. The only big downside for me was the lack of a composite/Toslink connection - I would have liked to have connected my TV to it, but again you could add a DAC at a later date, and the Chromecast Audio I got from @Joe Mac does me perfectly for Spotify & Youtube streaming.

There's another option, possibly controversial, but it could work if this might not be the money sink for you that it is for us. You could get a turntable that has a built in phono stage and connect it up to a set of powered speakers. I don't have any experience in this, but we did get a setup like this for a friend for his birthday. This basically removes the amp from the setup, and if you get the right set of speakers you could bluetooth music from your phone to them as well. An amp based system may sound a better, but in a tight space this could work, especially if you aren't 100% sure you're going to be throwing a lot of money further down the line. At best, you get the bug and then this becomes your second system!

I've just skimmed through this thread, apologies, if the amp side of your question has been answered! I'm UK based and I have the Onkyo, although possibly the pre-refresh version; I got mine in 2018.

I really like it, although I don't have the greatest system to test it with - I currently have a terrible plastic Ariston turntable from the 90s and a set of speakers from the 80s, so I can't give a definitive report on it. All in all, it sounds great, and if you're on a tight budget having a phono stage in the amp is a bonus - it could start you off and you could then add an external in further down the track. The only big downside for me was the lack of a composite/Toslink connection - I would have liked to have connected my TV to it, but again you could add a DAC at a later date, and the Chromecast Audio I got from @Joe Mac does me perfectly for Spotify & Youtube streaming.

There's another option, possibly controversial, but it could work if this might not be the money sink for you that it is for us. You could get a turntable that has a built in phono stage and connect it up to a set of powered speakers. I don't have any experience in this, but we did get a setup like this for a friend for his birthday. This basically removes the amp from the setup, and if you get the right set of speakers you could bluetooth music from your phone to them as well. An amp based system may sound a better, but in a tight space this could work, especially if you aren't 100% sure you're going to be throwing a lot of money further down the line. At best, you get the bug and then this becomes your second system!
No apologies necessary - thank you for the reply and I hope you're staying well on this grey day!

Good to know that it is a solid choice and the Chromecast Audio has piqued my interest as a means to utilise the new speakers for Spotify as well. Appreciate the other option as it's always good to understand what they are. I'm comfortable with everything so far though, just making sure to draw the line somewhere. Most of the anxiety was around making sure I hadn't bought something notably poor or stupid having at long last made the jump into sorting it out and ordering. It's been something I've been wanting to get into but have kept to the periphery of for a long time. Grew up with a fondness for music from hearing my dad wax lyrical about his days of playing records when he was young and listening to Neil Young, Zappa and others with him in his workshop. Now much later when visiting my parents earlier in the year my dad brought out a vinyl from the early 1900's of my great grandfather speaking as part of some of the first radio advertisements - really quite neat. Was the kick I needed to finally do something about it and really glad I did. May not have everything set up to play but it's already exciting thinking ahead to trying all the records that will be delivered and joining in with the community as a whole. Be nice to make more of a ritual of, and give more focus to, music having loved it for so long.

No apologies necessary - thank you for the reply and I hope you're staying well on this grey day!

Good to know that it is a solid choice and the Chromecast Audio has piqued my interest as a means to utilise the new speakers for Spotify as well. Appreciate the other option as it's always good to understand what they are. I'm comfortable with everything so far though, just making sure to draw the line somewhere. Most of the anxiety was around making sure I hadn't bought something notably poor or stupid having at long last made the jump into sorting it out and ordering. It's been something I've been wanting to get into but have kept to the periphery of for a long time. Grew up with a fondness for music from hearing my dad wax lyrical about his days of playing records when he was young and listening to Neil Young, Zappa and others with him in his workshop. Now much later when visiting my parents earlier in the year my dad brought out a vinyl from the early 1900's of my great grandfather speaking as part of some of the first radio advertisements - really quite neat. Was the kick I needed to finally do something about it and really glad I did. May not have everything set up to play but it's already exciting thinking ahead to trying all the records that will be delivered and joining in with the community as a whole. Be nice to make more of a ritual of, and give more focus to, music having loved it for so long.

The chromecast Audio is cool, but only really if you’re an Android house. I’m an apple house and so it wasn’t quite the right solution so I went elsewhere and that’s why i was getting rid of it when I gave it to @Thackeraye

a similar solution for Apple is to use an airport express, they have an Audio out port.

the thing is though that both are now discontinued but so many were made that there is an abundance of both available cheap enough second hand on eBay.

Nah, you've definitely not bought a lemon - I really like the amp, and it's served me well so far. The Chromecast works really well, and the only change I've needed to make is to download Chrome on my Mac (I used Safari) to allow me to cast Youtube. Spotify works straight out the app on my iPhone. As Joe said, they have been discontinued, but eBay is your friend.

You're definitely with like minded folk here with records. Some are vinyl lifers, some have come into it later (me!), but we all enjoy the ritual and experience of vinyl. Hope you have fun with it, and look forward to seeing what you listen to in the What's Spinning thread!

Build quality is better on the Marantz and they do sound different.

Build quality on the entry lvl Marantz better then Nad? I dunno . Years ago when it was still Made in Japan and even their entry lvl gear was built like a tank, but Marantz $499 Int Amps compared to Nads offerings at same price ....... hard to see Marantz being the better built model.

The Saul Marantz days are long gone and most of Marantz gear is extremely mass produced like most Audio gear being spit out of the far east . .........

Build quality on the entry lvl Marantz better then Nad? I dunno . Years ago when it was still Made in Japan and even their entry lvl gear was built like a tank, but Marantz $499 Int Amps compared to Nads offerings at same price ....... hard to see Marantz being the better built model.

The Saul Marantz days are long gone and most of Marantz gear is extremely mass produced like most Audio gear being spit out of the far east . .........

I meant Marantz vs Denon. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

The chromecast Audio is cool, but only really if you’re an Android house. I’m an apple house and so it wasn’t quite the right solution so I went elsewhere and that’s why i was getting rid of it when I gave it to @Thackeraye

a similar solution for Apple is to use an airport express, they have an Audio out port.

the thing is though that both are now discontinued but so many were made that there is an abundance of both available cheap enough second hand on eBay.
Pretty split honestly! Both of us have android phones, but also have ipads. Partner has a windows laptop, I have a macbook. Have a Chromecast Ultra and Apple TV. Seems like either will fit in so will check them both out on ebay - even if it just comes down to aesthetics! Either way I think one will make a decent and inexpensive addition to get some more from the system so appreciate the further recommendation.

As an aside - I noticed you use the Clamp IT for your Esprit. I was wondering whether this was a future upgrade you might recommend down the line from a phono stage?

Nah, you've definitely not bought a lemon - I really like the amp, and it's served me well so far. The Chromecast works really well, and the only change I've needed to make is to download Chrome on my Mac (I used Safari) to allow me to cast Youtube. Spotify works straight out the app on my iPhone. As Joe said, they have been discontinued, but eBay is your friend.

You're definitely with like minded folk here with records. Some are vinyl lifers, some have come into it later (me!), but we all enjoy the ritual and experience of vinyl. Hope you have fun with it, and look forward to seeing what you listen to in the What's Spinning thread!
Great to hear, thank you. Didn't fancy lemonade! That's good to hear. Have to admit I've become a bit of an addict when it comes to peeking into the what's spinning and latest grab threads. Already have a PIF lined up too by virtue of having one of the deliveries be slightly scratched in a way that annoys me but might still be of interest to others. Just need to think about packaging and logistics in this time. Will look to start posting some of the things that are coming in myself, in advance of the setup being complete down the line. Will need to do something with them to help dampen the burning anticipation!

Last edited:
Pretty split honestly! Both of us have android phones, but also have ipads. Partner has a windows laptop, I have a macbook. Have a Chromecast Ultra and Apple TV. Seems like either will fit in so will check them both out on ebay - even if it just comes down to aesthetics! Either way I think one will make a decent and inexpensive addition to get some more from the system so appreciate the further recommendation.

As an aside - I noticed you use the Clamp IT for your Esprit. I was wondering whether this was a future upgrade you might recommend down the line from a phono stage?

Great to hear, thank you. Didn't fancy lemonade! That's good to hear. Have to admit I've become a bit of an addict when it comes to peeking into the what's spinning and latest grab threads. Already have a PIF lined up too by virtue of having one of the deliveries be slightly scratched in a way that annoys me but might still be of interest to others. Just need to think about packaging and logistics in this time. Will look to start posting some of the things that are coming in myself, in advance of the setup being complete down the line. Will need to do something with them to help dampen the burning anticipation!

With the clamp it, it really depends. Theoretically it provides better coupling with the platter and so the bass should be better. From experience that’s not a reason to buy it, it’s a lot of money for what it is. The reason I got it is that I have a few slightly bowl warped albums and it is well worth it to flatten those out. Once I had it I just got into the habit of using it all the time. With the chromecast audio it’s a little puck that you’ll never see, it hangs behind your system from the cables you connect it up with. There are two generations of airport express. The first is literally an oversized plug, so again unseen and the second is a typical Apple little white box, so it’s not at all unpleasant to look at. The airport express, being in effect a wireless repeater, can also be used as a WiFi access point (or range extender if you have a big airport as your main router) although you can disable this if you don’t want to use that feature.

Last edited:
Back