Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

With the clamp it, it really depends. Theoretically it provides better coupling with the platter and so the bass should be better. From experience that’s not a reason to buy it, it’s a lot of money for what it is. The reason I got it is that I have a few slightly bowl warped albums and it is well worth it to flatten those out. Once I had it I just got into the habit of using it all the time. With the chromecast audio it’s a little puck that you’ll never see, it hangs behind your system from the cables you connect it up with. There are two generations of airport express. The first is literally an oversized plug, so again unseen and the second is a typical Apple little white box, so it’s not at all unpleasant to look at. The airport express, being in effect a wireless repeater, can also be used as a WiFi access point (or range extender if you have a big airport as your main router) although you can disable this if you don’t want to use that feature.
Interesting with the clamp, thanks. Will keep it in the back of my mind if I end up with any warped records in the future. Certainly an elegant piece and enjoy seeing it in your shares. Had a look at CCA and AE and think the Chromecast would suit better so will be picking one up soon after everything eventually gets here and set up 👍 cheers.

i have an amp where the volume controls the speaker mains AND the preamp out. I ran my headphone amp in between my phono and amp. I didn’t like the color from the headphone amp (on the bright side I like my phono even more). Whats the consensus on run an RCA split after the phono?

i have an amp where the volume controls the speaker mains AND the preamp out. I ran my headphone amp in between my phono and amp. I didn’t like the color from the headphone amp (on the bright side I like my phono even more). Whats the consensus on run an RCA split after the phono?

It should do that. A preamp controls the gain for a power amp so if it didn’t do that it’s be useless as a pre-amp. If your amp has a tape out I’d use that instead, it’s a line level output that would allow a headphone amp to control its own volume.

It should do that. A preamp controls the gain for a power amp so if it didn’t do that it’s be useless as a pre-amp. If your amp has a tape out I’d use that instead, it’s a line level output that would allow a headphone amp to control its own volume.
Thanks. I’m pretty sure tape out didn’t drive them either.... but I was basically asleep so I’ll check again.

Was a short in the power chord on the headphone amp. Must have not been shorted when I put it in between.

So the initial turntable that had been ordered was put on back order. Looking to upgrade from an AT-LP-120USB. I'll trust the professionals to point me towards the best bang for my buck! I've looked around a bit and come up with these three, but if theres any others within this price range (hopefully under $350) that you would recommended above these, feel free to throw them out. But if I could get some advice on which of these three would be the best, it would be very helpful!!

So the initial turntable that had been ordered was put on back order. Looking to upgrade from an AT-LP-120USB. I'll trust the professionals to point me towards the best bang for my buck! I've looked around a bit and come up with these three, but if theres any others within this price range (hopefully under $350) that you would recommended above these, feel free to throw them out. But if I could get some advice on which of these three would be the best, it would be very helpful!!

From those 3 it would be between the pro-ject and the fluance for me. I’d probably edge towards the fluance even if just because you are getting a better stylus profile (10 rather than 5e) on the ort OM cartridge.

I wonder if any of those are really going to be much of an upgrade from your AT?

I wonder if any of those are really going to be much of an upgrade from your AT?
Well I need to keep the budget reasonable so "upgrade" probably isnt the best word to use. More of a replacement but hoping to maybe to get something a bit better if I can. I would be curious to know if the Fluance RT83 would be a good step up?

You can get a Uturn Custom, with a Grado Black 3, Acrylic Platter, and Cue Lever for $349. I'm happy with my U-turn, and wish I had done the Grado instead of the Ortofon Red from everything I've read about it.

Well I need to keep the budget reasonable so "upgrade" probably isnt the best word to use. More of a replacement but hoping to maybe to get something a bit better if I can. I would be curious to know if the Fluance RT83 would be a good step up?

From a quick look the specs the tables are almost identical. The price difference seems to be for the 2M red over the OM10. Unless I’m missing something I’d pay less and have the OM personally.

Hi everyone, I'm around, been busy the last couple weeks. Started a little project setting up a system in my home office since I'm spending so much time here. So far I have a VPI Scout with an Aeon cartridge mounted and ready to go. Unpacked a Parasound JC3+ preamp the other day, didn't hook it up yet. I have to figure out what piece is next and keep it moving along, right now I'm just playing the turntable through my Schiit Jotunheim with a phono card and listening on headphones.

I have to scan the thread, any questions, anything I missed. Sorry I haven't checked in...

Hi everyone, I'm around, been busy the last couple weeks. Started a little project setting up a system in my home office since I'm spending so much time here. So far I have a VPI Scout with an Aeon cartridge mounted and ready to go. Unpacked a Parasound JC3+ preamp the other day, didn't hook it up yet. I have to figure out what piece is next and keep it moving along, right now I'm just playing the turntable through my Schiit Jotunheim with a phono card and listening on headphones.

I have to scan the thread, any questions, anything I missed. Sorry I haven't checked in...

Glad to see you are well.

I know @AnthonyI is eyeing a low output Opus3. @Yer Ol' Uncle D got his Gold3 set up and loves it. I upgraded phono stages (Sutherland Duo) and am thinking a low output Sonata3 or maybe a Master3 once funds recover a bit. I’ll say that the Gold3 is even better than I initially thought.

I am thinking about getting a second receiver so I can safely spin records when the kiddo is asleep. Any recommendations? I already have headphones & my turntable is a pro-ject debut carbon

Hello there! I am fairly new to this, and have an entry level player that is fine but nothing to write home about. I would love to get a new player, as I have a nice set of speakers and sub thanks to my roommate. Budget is about $500, a bit flexible depending on quality vs price. I would like to get something relatively nice but not looking to spend thousands of dollars. Would be open to getting an amp eventually, if needed, though not quite yet.
What would you recommend that would put out some nice sound? Also, does Turntable Lab have anything worthwhile, equipment wise? I have too many records to be listening on something sub par. Thank you in advance, please stay healthy and safe all 🖤

Hello there! I am fairly new to this, and have an entry level player that is fine but nothing to write home about. I would love to get a new player, as I have a nice set of speakers and sub thanks to my roommate. Budget is about $500, a bit flexible depending on quality vs price. I would like to get something relatively nice but not looking to spend thousands of dollars. Would be open to getting an amp eventually, if needed, though not quite yet.
What would you recommend that would put out some nice sound? Also, does Turntable Lab have anything worthwhile, equipment wise? I have too many records to be listening on something sub par. Thank you in advance, please stay healthy and safe all 🖤
Do you have a phono stage that you can use with the new table or an amp with one?

Back