Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

AnthonyI

@bdm105 , you might also want to drop Upscale Audio an email and ask what they have in terms of "open box" tube amps if you're looking to go that way. They don't advertise them, but they almost always have some, that's how I got my Prima Luna, just a suggestion.

Splunders

@bdm105 , you might also want to drop Upscale Audio an email and ask what they have in terms of "open box" tube amps if you're looking to go that way. They don't advertise them, but they almost always have some, that's how I got my Prima Luna, just a suggestion.
Unless they sold them all in the past couple months, I know they have open box ProLogue 4s and 5s (power amp only, not an integrated) in stock and NOT listed online. If I remember correctly the ProLogue 5 was going for 1k. The ProLogue 4 would be less. I have the 5 and its great.

Joe Mac

Unless they sold them all, I know they have open box ProLogue 4s and 5s in stock and NOT listed online. If I remember correctly the ProLogue 5 was going for 1k. The ProLogue 4 would be less. I have the 5 and its great.
Are they integrated amps or just power amps? If it’s the later then we’re factoring in the price of a pre-amp as well as a phono stage. A prima Luna would be a pretty awesome option if it could be got within budget though!

Splunders

Are they integrated amps or just power amps? If it’s the later then we’re factoring in the price of a pre-amp as well as a phono stage. A prima Luna would be a pretty awesome option if it could be got within budget though!
Power amp only. I was using the Schiit Saga as a preamp, and for $300-400, depending on the version, the price to performance is hard to beat.

HiFi Guy

All Things Audio
Finding a PL integrated under $1k will be a tall order. They hold their value extremely well. A preowned JoLida is pretty easy to find in that price range and is a very solid choice.

Joe Mac

Finding a PL integrated under $1k will be a tall order. They hold their value extremely well. A preowned JoLida is pretty easy to find in that price range and is a very solid choice.
Oh yeah I know that. Is more that it was the limit for the amp in the original post and so I’d discounted PL as an option because adding a decent preamp is gonna be 30-40% total overspend without counting for the need to add a phono stage to the current system too. I’ll be honest and say I was surprised to see even a PL power amp at that price.

Joe Mac

Appreciate it everyone. I'm going to save $ and revisit this in 6-12 months. Seems like the best bet.
If you want tubes that’s definitely a wise call. Nothing wrong with googling all the speaker, amp and phono options people have mentioned and reading up on them to see what you think will be the best option for you in the meantime. I often find that planning stage to be the most enjoyable bit!

VMPKJ

I think if you want to go tube you might want to be looking at both it and speakers as a package. To get a more affordable tube amp in/around what you were talking about an idea might be to go for a low power tube amp, like one of the decware ones, and pair it with a higher sensitivity speaker than the one you have, be that going up the klipsch line or looking at a zu. You would need a phono stage too because as previously mentioned they aren’t built into most tube amps.
This is why I grouped speakers/amp. I think they should be purchased to complement one another. I'd think what speakers I want and match the amp.

AnthonyI

I fully expect to see a “fire sale” or two with the economy being in the dumper.
Agreed, while why they're having sales is sad, it can be a good time to pick up gear. Again, bookmark some stuff, keep an eye out, get on some mailing lists and I'm sure something will come along. The only "downside" is that if a deal comes along you gotta be ready to jump on it.

Splunders

I don't know anything about these used tube integrateds, merely sharing them as a small example of what's out there in the used $1k range. Totally agree that speaker choice needs to be made before you get an amp, so the amp is sufficiently powerful enough for the speakers

HiFi Guy

All Things Audio
I don't know anything about these used tube integrateds, merely sharing them as a small example of what's out there in the used $1k range. Totally agree that speaker choice needs to be made before you get an amp, so the amp is sufficiently powerful enough for the speakers

The Triode Corp is a good amp. Older, but in great shape.

bdm105

I fully expect to see a “fire sale” or two with the economy being in the dumper.
Agreed, while why they're having sales is sad, it can be a good time to pick up gear. Again, bookmark some stuff, keep an eye out, get on some mailing lists and I'm sure something will come along. The only "downside" is that if a deal comes along you gotta be ready to jump on it.
Agreed with these.

AnthonyI

For anyone buying any gear, this is a really really well done video on the importance of synergy... all done without ever using the word synergy.

Before you go hunting for the next "perfect" piece of gear, make sure you consider what you are looking for and what it will be pairing with in your system.
Just watched this morning while having my coffee :)