Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I think the Pluto is a definite weak point that can be improved on hugely. I’d be looking at that as well as the amp. As for the streamer I’m a big advocate of the raspberry pi methods, but I wouldn’t plug it into a seperate DAC because the USB and audio outs on it are pretty crap. The way I’ve gone is to get a DAC hat and go through the GPIO. I’m a big fan of HiFiBerry and have used, and would recommend thier DAC + Pro.

I was thinking about the Allo Digione Signature Player? Looks like they have apparently solved a lot of the issues of getting the sound from the Pi to a good standalone DAC.

I was thinking about the Allo Digione Signature Player? Looks like they have apparently solved a lot of the issues of getting the sound from the Pi to a good standalone DAC.

Yeah it or a hifiberry DIGI+Pro both so that quite well. What digital sources will you be using? Do you have a lossless sub or lots of lossless files?

Anyone seeing significant shipping delays, etc. with all this craziness? It’s getting close to new stylus and/or cart time for me and I’m trying to think ahead a little.

Depends where you're buying from. I've bought a couple things from Crutchfield and they've arrived here next day. Anything relying on Amazon fulfillment is obviously way, way behind.

Yeah it or a hifiberry DIGI+Pro both so that quite well. What digital sources will you be using? Do you have a lossless sub or lots of lossless files?

Currently just Spotify - but would potentially change to or add a lossless sub. No local high-res files.

Currently just Spotify - but would potentially change to or add a lossless sub. No local high-res files.

If it’s just Spotify I’d be wary of spending too much, although future proofing is no bad idea. If you’re going to spend as much as the allo and a dac id be tempted, personally, to get a prebuilt solution and go for the bluesound and use its inbuilt DAC. Or if you want to save money and go DIY the pi with the allo/HiFiBerry dac hats rather than a digi hat and standalone dac. I’ve used a HiFiBerry DAC for Spotify, and I can’t imagine such low quality music sounding better with a better source (to my ears it’s better than the Sonos connect/port), and also for Qobuz/lossless files where it performed admirably. I currently use a Digi Hat just because the preamp I use has a DAC that’s better than the HiFiBerry one, had it been all analogue i would still be using their DAC.

That’s all good to hear. I assumed Amazon-fulfilled stuff was still +4 weeks, but wasn’t sure about other folks. Particularly wondering about overseas (y halo thar, Thakker).
It all depends on what you are ordering. Companies with access to a warehouse stock tend to be the least impacted. Anything that's built to order can expect big delays. Amazon has big delays obviously, but generally shipping from companies who may need to transfer items from one warehouse, to a distribution center, to a delivery service is going to have more delays because each step of the process is overrun and/or limiting staff.

That's why I'd expect single location shops to have the least delays. They can still have their same normal team pull and ship product. So look to Crutchfield, Upscale, Music Direct, and especially local dealers right now. If it's something you can get from a local dealer, they probably need that business now more than ever. If it's small like most normal dealers, I wouldn't be shocked if they hand deliver it themselves.

It all depends on what you are ordering. Companies with access to a warehouse stock tend to be the least impacted. Anything that's built to order can expect big delays. Amazon has big delays obviously, but generally shipping from companies who may need to transfer items from one warehouse, to a distribution center, to a delivery service is going to have more delays because each step of the process is overrun and/or limiting staff.

That's why I'd expect single location shops to have the least delays. They can still have their same normal team pull and ship product. So look to Crutchfield, Upscale, Music Direct, and especially local dealers right now. If it's something you can get from a local dealer, they probably need that business now more than ever. If it's small like most normal dealers, I wouldn't be shocked if they hand deliver it themselves.
Oh you lucky large-market people are just adorbs :)

Shockingly, Iowa isn’t exactly a hotbed of hifi enthusiasm. I’ve got home theater places all over, but turntables and analog tack? Not so much. Er. Not really at all. One place that restores vintage and one place that is repair only. They’re delightful humans, but no stock except some low-end Grados.

Anyhoodle, I was just looking for first-hand experience in shipping/fulfillment in this whole mess going on. I reached the same theoretical conclusion you did on shops v. warehouses, but was curious as to what was actually playing out on the ground.

Oh you lucky large-market people are just adorbs :)

Shockingly, Iowa isn’t exactly a hotbed of hifi enthusiasm. I’ve got home theater places all over, but turntables and analog tack? Not so much. Er. Not really at all. One place that restores vintage and one place that is repair only. They’re delightful humans, but no stock except some low-end Grados.

Anyhoodle, I was just looking for first-hand experience in shipping/fulfillment in this whole mess going on. I reached the same theoretical conclusion you did on shops v. warehouses, but was curious as to what was actually playing out on the ground.

Amazon is shipping records. Got the new Pokey LaFarge on release date earlier this week. I guess they understand my “essentials”.

Music Direct is shipping normally.

Haven’t seen @RichGrado on lately.....

Amazon is shipping records. Got the new Pokey LaFarge on release date earlier this week. I guess they understand my “essentials”.

Music Direct is shipping normally.

Haven’t seen @RichGrado on lately.....

Id say NY is a place that I would not be expecting things to be getting made/sold/shipped as normal. They seem to have been hit particularly hard by all of this.

Hello all, I hope everyone is managing to stay safe and well. New here - recommended by someone I know on another site - and wondering if people wouldn't mind giving me some advice or a thumbs up on the below.

This will be my first setup and foray into vinyl, but also lacking any technical knowledge around audio hardware (that isn't headphones) so forgive any blunders or moments of ignorance.

Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB
It's taken me a lot of time (and stress) to land on which to go for as an initial purchase but this seemed like a solid choice at the end of it that's at the higher end of my budget for the piece. It's the exact same price as the Rega Planar 2 and I was bouncing between which to get for a fair while. It seems like it's like a Canon/Nikon difference between those two and which people prefer but if I've made an obvious mistake in choice here please let me know. Stress talking but just want to be sure I'm not doing something foolish.

Onkyo A-9010
I know less than zero about these things but this seemed like a recommended and well regarded choice for the amp? Was told that looking around for second hand here could be beneficial so will keep an eye out but hard to know what to look out for with no general knowledge in the area.

Klipsch RP-600M
Again, not really versed on speakers but I understand these to thought of as a solid choice from the places I've looked. A tad higher than my wallet would have liked (£600 new here) but appreciate that speakers are something that can last if you treat them right and worth the investment if you can make it.

----

Finally I'm planning to house this in a small tiered unit/stand - record player on top, amp below it, records in the square bin underneath those. Speakers I'm looking to get speaker stands for but haven't made much headway into which yet.

---

All in all any experience, encouragement or advice would be massively appreciated. Hopefully sounds like a decent place to start out though and not made some massive mistake 😅

All the best

Hello all, I hope everyone is managing to stay safe and well. New here - recommended by someone I know on another site - and wondering if people wouldn't mind giving me some advice or a thumbs up on the below.

This will be my first setup and foray into vinyl, but also lacking any technical knowledge around audio hardware (that isn't headphones) so forgive any blunders or moments of ignorance.

It's taken me a lot of time (and stress) to land on which to go for as an initial purchase but this seemed like a solid choice at the end of it that's at the higher end of my budget for the piece. It's the exact same price as the Rega Planar 2 and I was bouncing between which to get for a fair while. It seems like it's like a Canon/Nikon difference between those two and which people prefer but if I've made an obvious mistake in choice here please let me know. Stress talking but just want to be sure I'm not doing something foolish.

Onkyo A-9010
I know less than zero about these things but this seemed like a recommended and well regarded choice for the amp? Was told that looking around for second hand here could be beneficial so will keep an eye out but hard to know what to look out for with no general knowledge in the area.

Klipsch RP-600M
Again, not really versed on speakers but I understand these to thought of as a solid choice from the places I've looked. A tad higher than my wallet would have liked (£600 new here) but appreciate that speakers are something that can last if you treat them right and worth the investment if you can make it.

----

Finally I'm planning to house this in a small tiered unit/stand - record player on top, amp below it, records in the square bin underneath those. Speakers I'm looking to get speaker stands for but haven't made much headway into which yet.

---

All in all any experience, encouragement or advice would be massively appreciated. Hopefully sounds like a decent place to start out though and not made some massive mistake 😅

All the best
Firstly...welcome!!

Everyone will have their own opinions, and you’ll likely get as many saying pro-ject as you will Rega, but for my two pennies worth...

I’d go with the Rega p2. Having owned one before my LP12 I can vouch for it to be a great deck. I ended upgrading the belt, mat and cartridge and it made it even better. Plus if you get a Rega deck then you’d get great synergy from getting a Rega amp also. There is the Rega brio which is a great little amp (id look for ex demo on this and the p2) or Rega are bringing out a new budget amp called the IO which might also suit you if you don’t want to go used or ex demo.

As for speakers - that’s such a personal thing that you need to demo as much as you can and decide for yourself. But again with your budget I would go for ex demo as you’ll get much more for your £600 than new.

Good luck and enjoy. Remember, if you like how it sounds then that’s all that counts!

Onkyo A-9010

Klipsch RP-600M

----

---

All the best
Firstly...welcome!!

Everyone will have their own opinions, and you’ll likely get as many saying pro-ject as you will Rega, but for my two pennies worth...

I’d go with the Rega p2. Having owned one before my LP12 I can vouch for it to be a great deck. I ended upgrading the belt, mat and cartridge and it made it even better. Plus if you get a Rega deck then you’d get great synergy from getting a Rega amp also. There is the Rega brio which is a great little amp (id look for ex demo on this and the p2) or Rega are bringing out a new budget amp called the IO which might also suit you if you don’t want to go used or ex demo.

As for speakers - that’s such a personal thing that you need to demo as much as you can and decide for yourself. But again with your budget I would go for ex demo as you’ll get much more for your £600 than new.

Good luck and enjoy. Remember, if you like how it sounds then that’s all that counts!

here’s the joy! I’m going to disagree with @Bsdmr2 and agree with your conclusion 😂

I’ve had the pro-ject for 7 years now and it’s a great table. For the mid £400 range I’d not consider any other table. It’s weakness, however, is the 2m red and I’d be looking for a stylus swap to a 2m blue or a cartridge swap to a Grado gold 3 as soon as funds allow.

If budgets allow I’d seriously consider a stand alone phono stage too. Sometime like the musical fidelity lx2-lps/mofi studiophono/Vincent pho8 would be at a similar level to the rest of the gear that you are considering.

As for speakers I know there are a lot of people on here running the elac debut ones and they really seem to love them.

here’s the joy! I’m going to disagree with @Bsdmr2 and agree with your conclusion 😂

I’ve had the pro-ject for 7 years now and it’s a great table. For the mid £400 range I’d not consider any other table. It’s weakness, however, is the 2m red and I’d be looking for a stylus swap to a 2m blue or a cartridge swap to a Grado gold 3 as soon as funds allow.

If budgets allow I’d seriously consider a stand alone phono stage too. Sometime like the musical fidelity lx2-lps/mofi studiophono/Vincent pho8 would be at a similar level to the rest of the gear that you are considering.

As for speakers I know there are a lot of people on here running the elac debut ones and they really seem to love them.
You...shhhhhhhhhhh

You could also get a P3 ex-demo in that price bracket. I personally don’t like the Ortofon carts, and so didn’t get the pro-ject when demoing my first deck, so I’d agree with Joe to swap that out ASAP If you so go down that route!

Back