Do you make stuff?

These are amazing. The composition is really interesting as well as the negative space. You continue to have really great pieces. Thank you for sharing. Number 4 is my favorite.

highly recommend following zane on ig. i particularly love the timelapse videos!!!
thank you both for the kind words and everyone that looks.

Does anyone on here do tie-dye shirts? I've started experimenting, after seeing some of these insanely good ones like what I've put in my avatar. But it definitely will take some practice. The biggest problem I'm having is getting the dye to leave vibrant colors. I've done two so far and neither is great, but each has parts where the dye looks great and parts where it doesn't. Plus I'm not sure how to not get the dyes to blend. Like how the yellow pops in this one despite having dark dyes next to it. I'm having a lot of fun with it so I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any wisdom they can pass on to me I'd be grateful!

This is the one I saw online that blew me away. Not one I did. Mine are a joke compared to this genius. They put that they were trying to make the Eye of Sauron for a friend and I think they nailed it.
e2n336ldt41b1.jpg

Does anyone on here do tie-dye shirts? I've started experimenting, after seeing some of these insanely good ones like what I've put in my avatar. But it definitely will take some practice. The biggest problem I'm having is getting the dye to leave vibrant colors. I've done two so far and neither is great, but each has parts where the dye looks great and parts where it doesn't. Plus I'm not sure how to not get the dyes to blend. Like how the yellow pops in this one despite having dark dyes next to it. I'm having a lot of fun with it so I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any wisdom they can pass on to me I'd be grateful!

This is the one I saw online that blew me away. Not one I did. Mine are a joke compared to this genius. They put that they were trying to make the Eye of Sauron for a friend and I think they nailed it.
View attachment 174855

If you need practice fodder, I'm a 4XL! 😜

(but seriously, I could send you some $$ for shirts and shipping)

If you need practice fodder, I'm a 4XL! 😜

(but seriously, I could send you some $$ for shirts and shipping)
If I can figure out how to get one that I think looks ok, I'll definitely make you one! So far they're not close yet. And I'll probably never get as good as the person who made this one, but even a bit more improvement would make me happy.

If I can figure out how to get one that I think looks ok, I'll definitely make you one! So far they're not close yet. And I'll probably never get as good as the person who made this one, but even a bit more improvement would make me happy.
I think the key is getting the shirt very tightly wound with a lot of rubber bands. Then really let the dye soak into those small tightly wound sections.

Bet Youtube has some good tutorials.

I think the key is getting the shirt very tightly wound with a lot of rubber bands. Then really let the dye soak into those small tightly wound sections.

Bet Youtube has some good tutorials.
I've done that and watched the tutorials, but it's still not fully turning out. I think it might be either the dye I'm using, or I need thinner fabric for the shirts. I've been using a heavy duty cotton.

One thing I saw in a lot of the videos is that a bunch use string instead of rubber bands, which seems to give better control. So that's the next thing I'm going to try because the rubber bands are a pain to take off without spraying dye all over my face, lol.

I also need to watch the videos over and over again to really figure out the folds. It gets a bit head scratching at points in the videos.

I've done that and watched the tutorials, but it's still not fully turning out. I think it might be either the dye I'm using, or I need thinner fabric for the shirts. I've been using a heavy duty cotton.

One thing I saw in a lot of the videos is that a bunch use string instead of rubber bands, which seems to give better control. So that's the next thing I'm going to try because the rubber bands are a pain to take off without spraying dye all over my face, lol.

I also need to watch the videos over and over again to really figure out the folds. It gets a bit head scratching at points in the videos.
String is a good idea.

Post what you've made thus far.

I was totally expecting you to be this guy:

I don't wish I was him, but I do wish I had his skill. I do not. But I'm learning that it has more to do with the shirts and dyes I've been using them the fact I'm no good at it. I need thinner cotton shirts and a different kind of dye. Then I think I'll make some improvements.

Back