Do you make stuff?

This might be a ridiculous question, but if anyone knows the answer, it's gotta be someone here: what's the best way to cut a vinyl record?

I have a scratched up grateful dead record that I want to turn into a guitar pickguard (or, barring that, at least a coaster). It's all scratched up and no good for listening to, obviously. What's the best way to cut/shape it without causing splits, splinters or shards? I've got saws and a dremel at hand, but obviously I only have one grateful dead record that I want to use for this, so I would rather not "learn the hard way" in this case.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

Correct; or I might try to widen the hole just a tiiiiiny bit for the volume pot, if I can get a good size/shape out of it.
There's gotta be a best answer so I'm just spitballing but if I had to do the same I'd probably be eyeing my Dremel. Just which cutting head...? I think cracking/splitting is a definite concern.

Also, something to score it with first.

There's gotta be a best answer so I'm just spitballing but if I had to do the same I'd probably be eyeing my Dremel. Just which cutting head...? I think cracking/splitting is a definite concern.

Also, something to score it with first.
I was thinking maybe a hot wire or a wood burning thingamajig to cut the basic shape then sandpaper to get the edges right.

@yukbon

@yukbon
Hey, wood burning tool! I guess I was on to something.

I just stumbled upon this forum. I hope nobody finds it blasphemous, but I take records and turn them into clocks. My boss sent me on vacation during Covid and told me I couldn’t go anywhere. I had a bunch of warped records in the basement, and decided to find something I could do with them.

Attachments

• IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3550.jpeg
    IMG_3550.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Cat all around the neighbourhood are looking around, getting ready to climb that blanket
Sooo funny story…we have a black cat. Neighbors moved in with an orange cat and our cat and their cat had a tough time adjusting to each other, but now they have a tentative truce. But before that, for a while, I would find the neighbors’ cat sniffing around our back door, where the cat door is. We also have a glass screen door in the front of the house, as well as a front door, that every child likes to leave wide open so you can see into our house. One day, I drove up and saw our neighbors’ cat looking at me through our front glass door….because he finally got brave enough to go through the cat door.

So yeah, if I find more than one cat on the blanket one day, I won’t be surprised.

Last edited:
Back