Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

And from that other users post I guess I'm either a noob or noob minded person.

The user that said "Valid data that is absolutely useless should be taken out." called me a noob.

I do get that I shouldn't post that many comments...but a lot of this was happening while I was at work and could only get on my phone at random times to post a link to the guidelines when I could.

Last edited:
And from that other users post I guess I'm either a noob or noob minded person.

The user that said "Valid data that is absolutely useless should be taken out." called me a noob.

I do get that I shouldn't post that many comments...but a lot of this was happening while I was at work and could only get on my phone at random times to post a link to the guidelines when I could.

yeah, well the cherry on top was my idiotic complete & correct vote. sorry about that.

does the seller outline how long they will take to ship? might check their terms first. a little patience might be in order. not everyone is running a full-fledged store. i definitely try to ship out within 2 business days, but i'm just one guy doing this as a hobby and there are tons just like me.
I’ve just started properly listing things for sale this week (trying to thin out the collection) and it feels like I’ve got a second job! It’s been quite eye opening tbh.

Here’s a tip for folk tho (since this is the tips thread) if you see a record listed for a reasonable price and it’s the only one and doesn’t come up very often then maybe you should just buy it instead of trying to haggle because someone will just swoop in and buy it for the listed price.

yeah, well the cherry on top was my idiotic complete & correct vote. sorry about that.

No worries. I have a feeling those 2 users that don't like the Stereo tag aren't going to be of assistance figuring out which stays and which goes.

The 28427 RTI number in variant 1 is a later reissue, pressed in 2017.

The 22984 RTI number in variant 2 looks to be the original 2014 release.

I would suggest removing variant 1 and 3 to a new subs, as the sub was made in 2014 for the original release.

Maybe there's a better place to ask this question, but I came across an album on Discogs that was released in 2008 that according to the seller is still sealed. I could purchase a Near Mint copy that isn't sealed for the same price point, but sometimes NM records don't actually sound NM. Purchasing the sealed copy ensures nobody has played it before, but I'm afraid that since the album has been sealed for so long, the LPs could be warped. I've heard that can happen but has anyone ever purchased an old sealed album before? Do you think I should just go for a Near Mint unsealed copy instead?

Maybe there's a better place to ask this question, but I came across an album on Discogs that was released in 2008 that according to the seller is still sealed. I could purchase a Near Mint copy that isn't sealed for the same price point, but sometimes NM records don't actually sound NM. Purchasing the sealed copy ensures nobody has played it before, but I'm afraid that since the album has been sealed for so long, the LPs could be warped. I've heard that can happen but has anyone ever purchased an old sealed album before? Do you think I should just go for a Near Mint unsealed copy instead?
I’d go with the seller with the better or higher amount of positive feedback. Both scenarios can go awry with unseen warps or over grading, so, for me, I want the seller who is more professional and can help if there is an issue. If both sellers seem exactly the same feedback wise, I’d go with the play-tested/visually-graded guaranteed NM copy. Sealed means little to me personally, since I am just going to open it right when I get it.

It's awesome to get an old sealed album when it works out, not so much when there's a nasty warp. I would rather do NM 9/10 because you know what to expect. It is likely a visual grading, but if there are any marks or warps, you have legitimate grounds for complaint as it was mis-graded. If the NM is accurate on a visual grading but noisy, chances are the sealed copy may have the same noise issues. As said above, after you open it, you can't complain about anything you find on a sealed album unless it is a clear reseal.

Edit: Definitely possible to get old sealed albums that aren't warped though, if that was part of your question. I have one from '74 that's perfect, but one from '69 with a nasty edge warp. And obviously we all know brand new ones can be warped as well.

Last edited:
Is it an inexpensive record that you could buy again fairly easily? If so, I would personally gamble on the sealed one. I just like the idea of me being the only one to ever have played it/handled it. If it’s a 50-100 dollar record, maybe go with the sure thing.

Here’s a tip for folk tho (since this is the tips thread) if you see a record listed for a reasonable price and it’s the only one and doesn’t come up very often then maybe you should just buy it instead of trying to haggle because someone will just swoop in and buy it for the listed price.
Made a sub for a 7" record, had no idea about pricing so listed it at $25; didnt want to seem too greedy and have it sitting there for years. Just minutes later a guy buys it then tells me it's incredibly rare and he'll try and resell it for "$200+".

OMG there are some knobheads on that website. Really just want to be done with the selling side.

View attachment 92694

just got an email for $90 in Discogs fees 😭
Yeah just had to pay the $230 one I just got ha! Taxes plus fees really add up! I really wish there was an option to just settle the taxes and fees right after purchase. I normally try to just have enough in my PayPal account to cover it monthly otherwise plan for it accordingly.

Yeah just had to pay the $230 one I just got ha! Taxes plus fees really add up! I really wish there was an option to just settle the taxes and fees right after purchase. I normally try to just have enough in my PayPal account to cover it monthly otherwise plan for it accordingly.
Exactly! I’d be fine with paying to right away but it being later is like a slap in the face.

I’d go with the seller with the better or higher amount of positive feedback. Both scenarios can go awry with unseen warps or over grading, so, for me, I want the seller who is more professional and can help if there is an issue. If both sellers seem exactly the same feedback wise, I’d go with the play-tested/visually-graded guaranteed NM copy. Sealed means little to me personally, since I am just going to open it right when I get it.
If you open a sealed record, you can’t return it in the same state. I would go with NM unless I am keeping it sealed.
It's awesome to get an old sealed album when it works out, not so much when there's a nasty warp. I would rather do NM 9/10 because you know what to expect. It is likely a visual grading, but if there are any marks or warps, you have legitimate grounds for complaint as it was mis-graded. If the NM is accurate on a visual grading but noisy, chances are the sealed copy may have the same noise issues. As said above, after you open it, you can't complain about anything you find on a sealed album unless it is a clear reseal.

Edit: Definitely possible to get old sealed albums that aren't warped though, if that was part of your question. I have one from '74 that's perfect, but one from '69 with a nasty edge warp. And obviously we all know brand new ones can be warped as well.
Is it an inexpensive record that you could buy again fairly easily? If so, I would personally gamble on the sealed one. I just like the idea of me being the only one to ever have played it/handled it. If it’s a 50-100 dollar record, maybe go with the sure thing.
Thank you all for the responses! There was a recent repress but the reason why I'm asking this question is because I picked it up and even though it has 2 of the deluxe bonus tracks on it the original didn't have, the sound quality is absolutely horrendous (ended up returning it to Amazon). It sounds like a low bitrate mp3 pressed onto vinyl and people say it's worth it to get the original pressing (even though it's priced at around $50-$60) because the sound quality is much better. There are a few sellers that have phenomenal feedback that are a tad cheaper than the seller who is selling the sealed copy, so I was thinking I'll go with one of those. Having a sealed copy doesn't mean much to me either as it'll just be opened as soon as I get my hands on it since I want the album that sounds the best. Guess I'll sleep on it and maybe flip a coin since there seem to be pros/cons for going with both copies. I really do appreciate the responses though :)

I have another bank account that I transfer 15% from every paypal deposit to my main account. (I also transfer profit to another account, but that's a different story)

15% is discogs 8% fee plus the average state tax rate of 7%. Sometimes I'm over and sometimes I'm under, but I'm always close enough that it doesn't hurt.

I sold a record on Discogs, packed it up in a cardboard mailer and sent it USPS media mail. It arrived at the buyer with a huge rip in the mailer that damaged the outer sleeve. Buyer wants to return the record for a refund. Is this on me?

I sold a record on Discogs, packed it up in a cardboard mailer and sent it USPS media mail. It arrived at the buyer with a huge rip in the mailer that damaged the outer sleeve. Buyer wants to return the record for a refund. Is this on me?
Did they send pics? Unfortunately media mail miscues are pretty much always on the seller. It's a gamble. Best you can do is file a claim with USPS and a claim with your cc company and just take the losses that may come.

Any/all damage or loss that occurs during transit is on you. You hitting up USPS and trying to file a claim is a separate issue that you can pursue after/while you quickly help your buyer with a refund or replacement. As mentioned above, it's helpful to ask for pics, just to make sure they are accurately describing the issue.

Only scenario where that relatable "HEY! I did my part and handed it to the post office! Leave me alone!" is backed by actual buyer/seller policy is when a package is marked as delivered and is stolen/goes missing afterward. After it's marked delivered, you don't have to refund or replace as the seller doesn't guarantee safety once it is on the buyer's property or in their possession.

Back