Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Hey there, was just hoping for some advice on selling valuable records. I'm looking to sell something that I've seen sell in the $300-500 range before. Never sold something worth that much and was wondering if anyone had any tips to not get ripped off? I'm mostly worried that someone will try to do a paypal charge back and say something like "they sent me a different record". Any way to safeguard myself from something like this happening? Thanks!
As others have said, check their feedback. Google their name and address. Take comfort in the fact that 99% of people who buy records have better things to do than run low level schemes. :)

I’d put more energy into making sure you pack it safely, that you include all necessary items, that it’s present condition still matches the description from when you initially listed it, and that you strongly consider whether now is a good time to give the USPS a $350 album to potentially lose during this COVID and holiday logjam (or whether to wait a few weeks or use UPS/FedEx and increase your shipping fee).

Lack of communication is never good but it’s possible they mailed it out right away and it’s stuck somewhere en route. USPS has been overloaded this month and things are being delayed for several weeks. If it were me, I’d wait until the end of January and, if it doesn’t show up and the seller still hasn’t replied, open a PayPal claim. The seller will more than likely reply to that and they can update you on what’s up and help resolve things. And you can decide whether to ask for a refund or wait more (if they can provide tracking that shows it’s still moving).
Thanks for taking the time to write this, its exactly what I will do!

I got a copy of It Still Moves from My morning Jacket recently. It sucks. I think it’s just the mastering and press though.
Can anyone recommend a good version/pressing of that?

I got a copy of It Still Moves from My morning Jacket recently. It sucks. I think it’s just the mastering and press though.
Can anyone recommend a good version/pressing of that?
Is it the original version of the album or the 4xLP re-master? The mastering of the original album isn't great. That's why they basically went back and "fixed" it for the re-master.

Is it the original version of the album or the 4xLP re-master? The mastering of the original album isn't great. That's why they basically went back and "fixed" it for the re-master.
I have the 2 LP. I’ll try the other. Thanks.

“Isn’t great” is an understatement. It sounds like it’s on a boom box in my system.

I have the 2 LP. I’ll try the other. Thanks.

“Isn’t great” is an understatement. It sounds like it’s on a boom box in my system.
I have both versions and I prefer the Deluxe remaster but it is noticeably different than the standard. The good news is the Deluxe can be found for under $30 the bad news is the deluxe version also “remasters” the original iconic artwork and that is decidedly not an improvement.

Currently it’s available via Amazon for $27...

Amazon product ASIN B01DUX9A7M

I got 2 users that keep trying to add a release date to this reissue I subbed years ago.

I marked it a reissue, but left off the date - as I know it's a later reissue/pressing.

These 2 seem really adamant about adding a 2010 release date - with no real/credible source.

What they are using is some wordpress post that isn't even accurate to this sub - (different runout etching - i...i vs SRz)

It's really starting to piss me off - and could use another voice if someone has some time.

I got 2 users that keep trying to add a release date to this reissue I subbed years ago.

I marked it a reissue, but left off the date - as I know it's a later reissue/pressing.

These 2 seem really adamant about adding a 2010 release date - with no real/credible source.

What they are using is some wordpress post that isn't even accurate to this sub - (different runout etching - i...i vs SRz)

It's really starting to piss me off - and could use another voice if someone has some time.

"don.larver" has been on a roll adding dubious stuff to lots of submissions. i'm surprised he hasn't been placed in CIP.

Does anyone know if there is a way you can change the way the dates are displayed in the collection screen so that anything older than a year is shown as a date (say 01/01/2019) rather than "12 Months ago"?

Back again with another request for some advice.

I have just had an order placed through Discogs. The address on the Discogs order is different from the one on the Paypal confirmation email. I have just had a message from the seller asking which address is shown on the discogs order as he thinks he put the wrong one. What should I do here to cover myself?

As an FYI I'm not thinking this is a scam as its not an expensive record, but I just want to make sure that I am covered.

Thanks

Does anyone know if there is a way you can change the way the dates are displayed in the collection screen so that anything older than a year is shown as a date (say 01/01/2019) rather than "12 Months ago"?

i know of no such setting on the site, but if you export your collection there is a "Date Added" column with very specific details.

Back again with another request for some advice.

I have just had an order placed through Discogs. The address on the Discogs order is different from the one on the Paypal confirmation email. I have just had a message from the seller asking which address is shown on the discogs order as he thinks he put the wrong one. What should I do here to cover myself?

As an FYI I'm not thinking this is a scam as its not an expensive record, but I just want to make sure that I am covered.

Thanks

Sometimes I'll ask when the addresses are different, to check where I send to.if I get no reply I just send it to the PayPal address,, just in case a claim will be made. I think I'm more covered with paypal in that way 🤔(?)

Thanks
I have boilerplate text for when this happens and I just copy and paste it.

Essentially, I let the person know I got their order and need to confirm their preferred address before I proceed to shipping.

I let them know if their preferred address is the PayPal address, I can proceed promptly.

If they prefer the Discogs address, I let them know I’ll need their help with an extra step of refunding their original payment and sending them a new PayPal invoice that they can fill out with their preferred address. I let them know that I print their shipping label through PayPal so it’s necessary for the PayPal invoice to have their preferred address.

Every time, they’re super glad I checked and happy to be refunded and re-invoiced.

Some sellers do roll the dice and either ship to the PayPal address every time OR ask the buyer and don’t mind shipping to the Discogs address (if that’s what they prefer) even though it breaks their seller protection on PayPal. So, there are options depending on what you feel fits your level of engagement and your preference as a seller.

Sometimes I'll ask when the addresses are different, to check where I send to.if I get no reply I just send it to the PayPal address,, just in case a claim will be made. I think I'm more covered with paypal in that way 🤔(?)
It’s unlikely but a buyer could claim they didn’t receive it at their PayPal address and open a case. Not sure if PayPal will receive the Discogs address and context as valid evidence to close the buyer’s case. It’s possible but I’ve never had to test it and haven’t read other people’s experiences there.

To me it doesn't matter. Paypal always sides with the buyer.

If it's documented that's where they want it sent I ship it where they want. Paypal doesn't side with the seller, ever.

You could cancel the sale and let the buyer know they should change their address so they match.

And yes...PayPal usually sides with the buyer, but if something does come up and you sent it to the address not on PayPal you could be out the money and the record.

If the seller states they didn’t receive it and your proof is to a different address, PayPal will side with the buyer. But if you sent it to the PayPal address they will side with you.

It's headaches like this that keeps me from selling.

Last edited:
You could cancel the sale and let the buyer know they should change their address so they match.

And yes...PayPal usually sides with the buyer, but if something does come up and you sent it to the address not on PayPal you could be out the money and the record.

If the seller states they didn’t receive it and your proof is to a different address, PayPal will side with the buyer. But if you sent it to the PayPal address they will side with you.

It's headaches like this that keeps me from selling.
It does suck sometimes but it gets easier to let the “bad” experiences roll off your back and to pre-smooth over a buyer’s experience before it goes off the rails. And maybe I’m lucky but, almost any time I get stressed and think someone is a problem buyer, they end up just being in a bad mood or inexperienced with how buying online works. All my worst experiences are messages I get from non-buyers who seem bored/angry and I just don’t reply.

It does suck sometimes but it gets easier to let the “bad” experiences roll off your back and to pre-smooth over a buyer’s experience before it goes off the rails. And maybe I’m lucky but, almost any time I get stressed and think someone is a problem buyer, they end up just being in a bad mood or inexperienced with how buying online works. All my worst experiences are messages I get from non-buyers who seem bored/angry and I just don’t reply.

I sold rare and OOP DVD's on ebay 20 years ago, some for hundreds of dollars and didn't think twice about it.

But a new, sealed DVD is easy to grade. A record I think is VG+ may only be only be VG to the buyer and they get a refund. Selling at volume would help this, but I don't have that kind of time.

Back