Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I would honestly take it back to your local and discuss it with them. If they don't take a return, maybe they'd give you some money back.
Turns out those ultrasonic cleaners work wonders! I ended up taking it back to the shop today and we ran it through the cleaner a few times and it made it sound damn near perfect. Guess all it needed was a little TLC. Now I can rest easy 🙂

I got a user mad that I changed the color in the FTF to the ACTUAL color of the release from the marketed color on the hype sticker - which isn't totally accurate.

I got a user mad that I changed the color in the FTF to the ACTUAL color of the release from the marketed color on the hype sticker - which isn't totally accurate.

Why would you not want it to be the actual color? What happens in 10, 20 years when someone buy it and could care less what it was marketed as?

I have a merge request for all that can vote -

This sub began as the US release. The UK Dinked edition was discovered to be the same (only with a sticker and bundled art print that don't make it unique) and merged into it - then came the Series tag for that release.

While I agree that It is confusing that the US release have the Dinked Series - but it was decided that a sticker and art print can make a series - Discogs Forum - Dinked Edition

Once merged a note can be added to better explain the combination of the US and UK releases in the same sub.

Why would you not want it to be the actual color? What happens in 10, 20 years when someone buy it and could care less what it was marketed as?

i think the issue that most folks have is the emotionally driven lack of distinction between discogs as a database that belongs to everyone in order to collect all factual information about a release and not a place to tweak to your liking in order to display your collection or items for sale the way you see fit.

I usually put both if possible, (i.e. Swirly Silver (Light grey) ) if the color is that far off. That way both marketed color and real are there.
I would think it would be more appropriate to put the actual color in the Free text (so someone with a copy in hand can find the correct entry) and put something in notes for how it was marketed. I don't know what the actual guidelines say.

I would think it would be more appropriate to put the actual color in the Free text (so someone with a copy in hand can find the correct entry) and put something in notes for how it was marketed. I don't know what the actual guidelines say.

Usually it's the actual color in the FTF - if there is some "fancy", as the forum thread calls it, name for the coloring it goes in [brackets].

This has more to do with wording that means a color, but really isn't a color - they seem to be fruits like Pumpkin for orange, Lime for green, Strawberry for red, but also things like variant names like "Zombie Skin"

If the marketing color is close enough to the actual coloring, I don't mind - but "Purple Splash" is not accurate when the actual color is Purple and Green.

I can say that the gimmicky nature of colored variants and the naming they come up with has made what goes into the FTF a bit more difficult in the last few years.

Usually it's the actual color in the FTF - if there is some "fancy", as the forum thread calls it, name for the coloring it goes in [brackets].

This has more to do with wording that means a color, but really isn't a color - they seem to be fruits like Pumpkin for orange, Lime for green, Strawberry for red, but also things like variant names like "Zombie Skin"

If the marketing color is close enough to the actual coloring, I don't mind - but "Purple Splash" is not accurate when the actual color is Purple and Green.
What's the guideline for things like "Transparent....". Like the War on Drugs live album has a "Transparent green" and "transparent purple" entry but on the Master List they show up the same.

What's the guideline for things like "Transparent....". Like the War on Drugs live album has a "Transparent green" and "transparent purple" entry but on the Master List they show up the same.

I don't have this to verify, but you may want to look to see if The War On Drugs - Live Drugs
and The War On Drugs - Live Drugs aren't actually the same release.

Different sticker barcodes are not a unique trait to have 2 separate submissions.

Although I do see one is marketed as Transparent and the other opaque....since in this case the differentiation between the Transparent Purple and Opaque Purple is in fact "Transparent" and "Opaque" - those should then be what is first in the FTF.

Last edited:
I've had to EI this guy twice now for removing the reissue tag on this release...

As can be seen in the sub edit, the reissue tag has already been argued and discussed in the forum...but neither of this points are good enough for this guy.

Looking at his submissions it seems they only submit Monkees related releases.

I've had to EI this guy twice now for removing the reissue tag on this release...

As can be seen in the sub edit, the reissue tag has already been argued and discussed in the forum...but neither of this points are good enough for this guy.

Looking at his submissions it seems they only submit Monkees related releases.

you're like a magnet for these guys...

Back