Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Can someone clarify why there are 2 VMP entries for Alice C?

Probably something to do with the obi and repressing. Originally the classics did not have the obi strip. I think Shepp was repressed and included the obi, then others like Alice must have gotten a repress + obi, too.

Not sure about if that really qualifies as a separate entry, but that is why.

So VMP did a repress of this? Did both include a booklet? It would appear so. I have the obi, so I guess it's a repress.

So VMP did a repress of this? Did both include a booklet?

I have the first pressing and it only includes the booklet. The entry for the second press also shows a booklet plus the obi. Everything else seems identical. I don't think it was publicized by VMP that there was a second pressing or how many were pressed, though I could be wrong about that. Other than the obi, I would not know the difference between the two.

This is one of my favorite and most spun Classics, by the way!

Cheers

So I bought a used record for "$3.99" rated "Very Good" off discogs from a record store, and it's visibly pretty deeply scratched and skips multiple times when I play it. I messaged the seller soon after it arrived and explained this and said it shouldn't have been graded "Very Good" since the Goldmine condition grading standards listed on discogs show that even a "Good/Good+" record "will be playable without skipping." I didn't see a way to attach a photo in the discogs messaging system, so I didn't send a photo.

The seller responded after a few days and said "Sorry to hear there's a problem with the Beethoven record. I don't intentionally sell records that skip. Sometimes dust in the grooves can make a record skip that shouldn't--a rinse with water and a wipe with a non-abrasive cloth can fix a lot of problems. And an improperly set up turntable (especially one that isn't level) may also be the culprit. Or we could have made a mistake on the grading. If cleaning doesn't solve the skipping, you're welcome to return the album for a full refund."

Like I said, I paid "$3.99" for the record so I'm not going to waste the money shipping it back for a refund, but I was just kind of surprised that that was the only option offered. I would think they’d let you know their contact info to send them a picture or video, if not just an outright refund. The record has visible, deep scratch marks, which I think any reasonable person would assume ≠ "Very Good" condition. I totally understand that some sellers don't spin all the used records they put up on discogs for grading purposes, but I feel like if you see deep visible scratches on the disc, you shouldn't be grading it as "Very Good."

Should I have known at $3.99 not to expect a playable record? I'd previously purchased another copy of this record at a sidewalk sale for $1 and it was in much better condition and looked much cleaner but had one single skip when playing it, so I was looking for a replacement copy. And there are definitely cheaper copies of this release on discogs [it's used classical], so I thought I was paying more for a copy that had a higher probability of being in better condition.

Anyway, I left negative feedback for the seller and said "If anyone had glanced at this record before it was packed and shipped, they would have known that it wasn't playable. No amount of cleaning the record is going to fix the scratches. I'm not going to waste my time or money shipping this back to you."

Then, they left me a negative feedback for me as a buyer and said "Customer is not interested in resolving grading disputes."

It just seems really annoying for a record store to treat their customers like this, but I’m just wondering if I'm overreacting or if I should report this seller some other way so other people aren’t dealing with this frustration, too. The record cover wasn’t torn or scratched in a way that would suggest that this damage happened in transit, but it seems like there’s always a grey area where you as a buyer can’t prove that you’re not responsible for the damage to the record, so you’re just stuck with it.

Anyway - here’s the record - let me know what you think:
CC29439D-C42D-451F-922F-21825485B5CE.jpeg

I’ve got someone already wanting the full invoice and payment for Still Woozy. I’m just gonna make sure it gets sent via express, with a signature upon delivery just to be safe! Also, this is an expensive purchase so I might as well make sure the shipping is first class!
When I sell expensive pressings on Discogs I usually pay for insurance. It's pretty cheap in the US, but you don't want to be out of luck if it gets damaged during shipment, and the buyer will certainly want their money back. I wouldn't worry about sending express - that's not really expected, unless they are willing to pay extra for it. Good luck.

When I sell expensive pressings on Discogs I usually pay for insurance. It's pretty cheap in the US, but you don't want to be out of luck if it gets damaged during shipment, and the buyer will certainly want their money back. I wouldn't worry about sending express - that's not really expected, unless they are willing to pay extra for it. Good luck.
I just paid extra for express because I’m getting a lot of money anyway! I thought I might as well give the best service I could. Paid AUD$43 for first class/express shipping with a signature which I’m happy about, considering the invoice that was paid to me was AUD$220! After PayPal and Discogs taking AUD$20 all together, plus AUD$43 shipping, I still benefit AUD$150! So I’m really happy about that! As soon as the item is delivered safely and when I know my customer is happy with her product (I’ll contact her to make sure the product is undamaged and is not warped etc), I’m going to buy the MoFi SuperVinyl One-Step Thelonious Monk or Charles Mingus!!! 😍

I’m also happy I’ve got a spare Still Woozy to send as a replacement if anything happens (like if the parcel gets lost or if the product is damaged).

I just paid extra for express because I’m getting a lot of money anyway! I thought I might as well give the best service I could. Paid AUD$43 for first class/express shipping with a signature which I’m happy about, considering the invoice that was paid to me was AUD$220! After PayPal and Discogs taking AUD$20 all together, plus AUD$43 shipping, I still benefit AUD$150! So I’m really happy about that! As soon as the item is delivered safely and when I know my customer is happy with her product (I’ll contact her to make sure the product is undamaged and is not warped etc), I’m going to buy the MoFi SuperVinyl One-Step Thelonious Monk or Charles Mingus!!! 😍

I’m also happy I’ve got a spare Still Woozy to send as a replacement if anything happens (like if the parcel gets lost or if the product is damaged).
I have the Monk. It's glorious!

So I bought a used record for "$3.99" rated "Very Good" off discogs from a record store, and it's visibly pretty deeply scratched and skips multiple times when I play it. I messaged the seller soon after it arrived and explained this and said it shouldn't have been graded "Very Good" since the Goldmine condition grading standards listed on discogs show that even a "Good/Good+" record "will be playable without skipping." I didn't see a way to attach a photo in the discogs messaging system, so I didn't send a photo.

The seller responded after a few days and said "Sorry to hear there's a problem with the Beethoven record. I don't intentionally sell records that skip. Sometimes dust in the grooves can make a record skip that shouldn't--a rinse with water and a wipe with a non-abrasive cloth can fix a lot of problems. And an improperly set up turntable (especially one that isn't level) may also be the culprit. Or we could have made a mistake on the grading. If cleaning doesn't solve the skipping, you're welcome to return the album for a full refund."

Like I said, I paid "$3.99" for the record so I'm not going to waste the money shipping it back for a refund, but I was just kind of surprised that that was the only option offered. I would think they’d let you know their contact info to send them a picture or video, if not just an outright refund. The record has visible, deep scratch marks, which I think any reasonable person would assume ≠ "Very Good" condition. I totally understand that some sellers don't spin all the used records they put up on discogs for grading purposes, but I feel like if you see deep visible scratches on the disc, you shouldn't be grading it as "Very Good."

Should I have known at $3.99 not to expect a playable record? I'd previously purchased another copy of this record at a sidewalk sale for $1 and it was in much better condition and looked much cleaner but had one single skip when playing it, so I was looking for a replacement copy. And there are definitely cheaper copies of this release on discogs [it's used classical], so I thought I was paying more for a copy that had a higher probability of being in better condition.

Anyway, I left negative feedback for the seller and said "If anyone had glanced at this record before it was packed and shipped, they would have known that it wasn't playable. No amount of cleaning the record is going to fix the scratches. I'm not going to waste my time or money shipping this back to you."

Then, they left me a negative feedback for me as a buyer and said "Customer is not interested in resolving grading disputes."

It just seems really annoying for a record store to treat their customers like this, but I’m just wondering if I'm overreacting or if I should report this seller some other way so other people aren’t dealing with this frustration, too. The record cover wasn’t torn or scratched in a way that would suggest that this damage happened in transit, but it seems like there’s always a grey area where you as a buyer can’t prove that you’re not responsible for the damage to the record, so you’re just stuck with it.

Anyway - here’s the record - let me know what you think:
View attachment 44207

If someone offered me the refund I'd take it and not leave negative feedback.

Yup. Some jackass removed the original listing from the master. Then people have added every cover as a separate release and now are putting the original listing up for removal votes.
If it were up to me I would do a separate entry for each cover and then list the color as random or various then in the notes section list the different color options but that is me, I can imagine something like this his like herding cats.

Godspeed you black emperor Have a multiple cover LP and I have a Mac DeMarco release that is list as “hombre” colored and I think Czarface had a release were each pressing was a different color. I have yet to pick up Monophic hopefully it gets sorted out that is some annoying shit for sure.

If someone offered me the refund I'd take it and not leave negative feedback.
At $3.99 it’s not worth anyone’s time or energy to ship it back. I probably would’ve have sent another follow up email instead of placing negative feedback, but everyone in the vinyl selling business has got to stop with “did you clean it? Is your equipment good?” Response to “hey, there’s a problem with my record.”

Back