Definitive Audiophile pressings

We were in LA this weekend and the youngest wanted to go to Amoeba Records. That place is so amazing. They had a copy of the ORG Grace by Jeff Buckley for $300. I had to steel myself and not give into the impulse to buy it. All I got was a sticker.

Wonder how it stacks up against a clean original copy. The original is truly audiophile quality and was mastered by Bernie Grundman. Available for $10 to $20.

Has anyone picked up the Modeski, Martin and Wood, Real Gone reissues of Shack Man or Friday in the Afternoon?

There are minimal Discogs reviews and the ones that are there are a bit negative. I can’t seem to find any pressing or mastering details anywhere. Great music, so it would be a shame if these are mediocre pressings.

Has anyone picked up the Modeski, Martin and Wood, Real Gone reissues of Shack Man or Friday in the Afternoon?

There are minimal Discogs reviews and the ones that are there are a bit negative. I can’t seem to find any pressing or mastering details anywhere. Great music, so it would be a shame if these are mediocre pressings.
I think the complaints with these records are mostly associated with the album length. These albums should have been pressed across 2 records. So now you have everything crunched onto a single disc, and the overall volume is low. I have the RSD It's a Jungle in Here, and the volume is a bit quieter than my other albums (think this record is 55 minutes across two sides). Regardless, the mix sounds great. Has a nice fat low end and the drums/cymbals are crystal clear. I'm please with it. Granted, I'd prefer it spread across 4 sides.

All these MMW releases were pressed at Gotta Groove and come in rice paper inners, so the pressings should be clean. I was looking at picking up Shack-Man this morning, but might just stick with my CD. Looks like the RealGone employee commented on Discogs that they went with 1xLP for each to keep prices down.

I think the complaints with these records are mostly associated with the album length. These albums should have been pressed across 2 records. So now you have everything crunched onto a single disc, and the overall volume is low. I have the RSD It's a Jungle in Here, and the volume is a bit quieter than my other albums (think this record is 55 minutes across two sides). Regardless, the mix sounds great. Has a nice fat low end and the drums/cymbals are crystal clear. I'm please with it. Granted, I'd prefer it spread across 4 sides.

All these MMW releases were pressed at Gotta Groove and come in rice paper inners, so the pressings should be clean. I was looking at picking up Shack-Man this morning, but might just stick with my CD. Looks like the RealGone employee commented on Discogs that they went with 1xLP for each to keep prices down.
Yep, I’m sticking with my CDs after reading these, sucks that they don’t seem to be mastered for vinyl. At the $35 price point, really not worth it if it’s just going to be the same as the CDs. I understand RG’s comment, but a quality release would’ve been well-received IMO.

And not for nothing, but $35 isn’t exactly cheap, especially for the standard jacket and 1LP.

Yep, I’m sticking with my CDs after reading these, sucks that they don’t seem to be mastered for vinyl. At the $35 price point, really not worth it if it’s just going to be the same as the CDs. I understand RG’s comment, but a quality release would’ve been well-received IMO.

And not for nothing, but $35 isn’t exactly cheap, especially for the standard jacket and 1LP.
Agree. I'm listening to my Shack-man CD right now with lunch, and it sounds pretty damn good. Gonna skip the vinyl.

Agree. I'm listening to my Shack-man CD right now with lunch, and it sounds pretty damn good. Gonna skip the vinyl.
I have the VMP MM&W Uninvisible and honestly it's like, nothing special. I don't know if just none of their stuff was recorded all that well or if the vinyl is just kinda an afterthought or what...

I have the VMP MM&W Uninvisible and honestly it's like, nothing special. I don't know if just none of their stuff was recorded all that well or if the vinyl is just kinda an afterthought or what...
I have VMP MMW The Dropper and I think it sounds really good but more along the lines of a great Hip-Hop record than a great Jazz record if that makes sense. Lots of rumbling booming lows.

Yeah, I like the RSD album well enough but was expecting more quality for a single LP that was almost $40.

For these reissues I am gonna take a wait and see approach. I would like to add them but not at the current price point. Real Gone sells on Amazon and tends to repress popular titles frequently. I am gonna set a Camel Camel Camel alert and see if I can’t end up getting cheaper in a few months and if I miss out so be it.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with you on Uninvisible.

I find that their earlier stuff on CD is mixed and recorded really well. It's not brickwalled or excessively loud like so many digital releases can be.

Not sure I agree with you on Uninvisible.

I find that their earlier stuff on CD is mixed and recorded really well. It's not brickwalled or excessively loud like so many digital releases can be.
Hey man, I am by no means the arbiter of good sound. I just don't like the mastering on that album but it's also the only album of theirs I've ever heard so it's possible I was just expecting their "sound" to be different.

Hey man, I am by no means the arbiter of good sound. I just don't like the mastering on that album but it's also the only album of theirs I've ever heard so it's possible I was just expecting their "sound" to be different.
Yeah, I understand. Everyone has different preferences. Honestly, I haven't listened to the VMP Uninvisible in a while. Maybe I'll spin it this afternoon and be disappointed, "goddammit...Mather was right!"

I agree with Tender that some of their records aren't mixed like a traditional 3-piece jazz band.

I still think the MMW Tonic album on Blue Note would make an incredible Tone Poet. I have no idea if the recording is analog or digital but it sounds great and the playing is fantastic. Would love to hear what Kevin Gray could do with it on vinyl.
I absolutely agree with this take. A 2LP Tonic pressing is my most wished for MMW release. Surely I’m asking for too much here, but Electric Tonic on vinyl (or even streaming, for that matter) would be quite welcome as well.

Back