Definitive Audiophile pressings

Can anyone comment on how much better the new Miles OJC is compared to the cheaper, easily available OJC press? Is it night and day? Worth an extra $25?

Can anyone comment on how much better the new Miles OJC is compared to the cheaper, easily available OJC press? Is it night and day? Worth an extra $25?
I have both. Haven't done a direct comparison of the sound. OJC pressing is a Newbury variant on clear vinyl.

New Kevin Gray OJC 2023 Pressing
Heavier cardboard jacket, glossy finish (clear winner)
AAA RTI pressing
No pressing defects
Drums very present, especially cymbals. Muted trumpet was very lifelike. Overall is sounded excellent to me. Bass, midrange may be a little recessed, causing sound to skew to the brighter side.

Newbury version
Thinner cardstock jacket, not glossy
Likely digital sourcing (not an 80's OJC pressing that was still AAA)
Pressed at RTI
Don't recall any pressing defects, though some Discogs reviews stated distortion
Cant comment on mix, as it has been a bit since I've listened.

Met Kevin this evening, an absolute gentleman. Forgot to bring a record and ask for his signature.
New Rhino series is releasing a pop/rock and jazz title, every quarter.

First two titles are The Cars debut and Coltrane’s Sounds. AAA pressed @ Optimal cut by KPG

Kevin on the far right
r

Ok, what's with autographing a DL? Is this a thing?

Probably would only be weird if he asked him to sign his man boob or something.
Yea....who in their right mind would do that??

giphy.gif

Okay. Sabbath Vol. 4. Any suggestions on best pressing? I see a lot of UK Pecko but I'm not looking to spend $200. Seems like the newer US and UK remasters aren't super great on this particular one?
I haven't heard this 1980 japanese reissue but I would be super tempted if I was looking
Several of the other titles in this 1980 reissue series have very good reviews

Last edited:
Okay. Sabbath Vol. 4. Any suggestions on best pressing? I see a lot of UK Pecko but I'm not looking to spend $200. Seems like the newer US and UK remasters aren't super great on this particular one?

I did a bunch of research and ended-up on a Canadian 1st pressing with a green WB label. Also went through a canadian late-70's pressing that sounded close, but not quite as good and was too noisy for my tastes. You kind of need a quiet pressing for this album because 3 of the tracks are pretty mellow and are unforgiving to noise floor. Anyway, the Canadian 1st pressing I got is quiet and quite good for me. I got it from a store in Montreal that took photos and sent me audio samples.

It's this one I got:

I'm sure UK's are the best. US WB 1st pressing green labels are supposed to be excellent too but those were expensive when I looked. If you can find one of those at a good price, go for it. Japanese Vertigo pressings are apparently decent too, but I never saw one that met my standards. Of course, there's the CB 2011 reissue, but that one was going for more than the Canadian 1st pressings when I was looking.

Back