Definitive Audiophile pressings

You guys are probably the right bunch to ask this. So if I get a new release with a "Made in the UK" sticker on it, what pressing plant is that likely to be?
Could also just be the jacket that is made in the UK. I have some QRP-pressed records with a Made in Poland sticker on the jacket. I asked Acoustic Sounds about it and they said, yeah we pressed the music, they made the jackets.

Could also just be the jacket that is made in the UK. I have some QRP-pressed records with a Made in Poland sticker on the jacket. I asked Acoustic Sounds about it and they said, yeah we pressed the music, they made the jackets.
That's brutal, because Made in Poland usually means TAKT and they SUCK. Now I gotta guess about this shit too? Weak.

You guys are probably the right bunch to ask this. So if I get a new release with a "Made in the UK" sticker on it, what pressing plant is that likely to be?

The Vinyl Factory is the only one of a significant scale left in the uk. Most of the others are small scale indie start ups focusing more on local/indie/diy acts.

BoomBoom alert!!

aYtpVjX.jpg

@Lee Newman did you get this one?

This is a VERY good record that trashes the phony Ryan Adams version.
yea-- it's awesome! vinyl sounds really good so far too! half-way through side A. didn't realize KPG cut it so I updated the discogs info.

I think @Plaid Room / Colemine still had a copy or two left at retail if anybody was looking for it.

BoomBoom alert!!

aYtpVjX.jpg

@Lee Newman did you get this one?
Of course I did! Very excited to see her again, she’s opening for Nickel Creek when we see them in July. We were supposed to see her for the Bull Frog tour but COVID did that in. I think this is the third time we’ve seen her… she opened for Punch Brothers first time we saw her (that’s how we became fans) and then the American Acoustic Tour where she did a set and I’m With Her did a set!

I have VMP MMW The Dropper and I think it sounds really good but more along the lines of a great Hip-Hop record than a great Jazz record if that makes sense. Lots of rumbling booming lows.
You may already know this, but this is exactly what they were going for at that point — a slightly gritty, deep low-end sound that was a transition from the more polished stuff that came before (same with Uninvisible, although not quite as dirty).

I think both 2-LP VMP MMW releases are fantastic, and I paid a minor premium for both (although I could sell both for more now).

To me, when it comes to 1 LP v 2 LP, the real problem with these records is the CD era during which these albums were recorded. Too many artists (and record labels) decided that, because a CD can hold 74/80 minutes (deemed at the time to be among the advantages over vinyl), every album had to take advantage of the extra capacity. But the bands themselves often didn’t have enough good material for that capacity, and too, too many albums include junk/fluff/filler kind of stuff that would have been outtakes in the pre-CD era.

So what we’re left with now in the reborn-vinyl era are albums that don’t belong on 1 LP due to length, with record companies weighing the price/manufacturing options/risks of a 1 LP or 2 LP release.

Most likely, It’s a Jungle In Here belongs on 1 LP with some material cut out altogether. It’s a great album, but there’s some fat that could be trimmed, and I say that as someone for whom MMW is a top 5 band that I’ve seen dozens of times.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the Dire Straits studio box to the MOFI releases? I have the MOFI's but am kinda burnt out on flipping every two songs. Obviously, the MOFI will sound better, but are the 33 BG cuts in the box close/still pretty good?

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the Dire Straits studio box to the MOFI releases? I have the MOFI's but am kinda burnt out on flipping every two songs. Obviously, the MOFI will sound better, but are the 33 BG cuts in the box close/still pretty good?
Tbh I would recommend clean OGs. I had a few of the MOFI and went through the same though process as you regarding flipping. I think the originals are some of the best sounding records of that era, especially the first three albums. I think they can be found pretty clean for $10/15 a piece, which may be cheaper than the box.

Last edited:
What is the general consensus on SRV Texas Flood and couldn't stand the weather? One Step or AP?
I'm speaking from a position of zero first hand knowledge but I'm fairly certain I've heard the APs are as good or better than the much more expensive One Steps for SRVs stuff. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered that being the prevailing opinion.

Back