Definitive Audiophile pressings

These showed up today... I'm on side B of Santana right now and I really really like it so far (I'll do an A/B with my KPG Sundazed later but there's no way the MOFI doesn't come out on top). This thing thumps. Looking forward to the Zevon too... needle drops were promising.

View attachment 172252
Where did you order Santana from?

mmhmm-okay.gif

The Santana is a really good recording. The inexpensive OGs sound excellent also.
I have the first two Japanese pressings, neither of which needed an upgrade, but I couldn't resist getting the Mofi to compare. It's been sitting here for a week but I haven't taken the time to change the belt to play it yet.

Thanks man. I didn't expect audiophile, but I at least wanted to make sure GZ didn't pooch the pressings with noise, swishes and their usual goodies. Not going to lie, it's manly the bling (the extras, the book, the box) that was the main attraction.. having all the albums is the bonus. But I'm going to hold out longer and keep looking for OG's of the records I really want (essentially LPs 1, 2 and 4). My copy of Parallel Lines is great if a tiny bit poppy (only an issue for headphone listening honestly).

I've started doing a comparison. Have to say it's a great box. The covers are really nice, not really heavy Stoughton, but tip on with a gloss sheen. Just listened to self titled and it really grabs you, very clean great sound. I don't have an OG of this just the 2015 re-issue, which sounds like a completely different mastering.

I have an '88 repress of Plastic Letters & a '78 UK press of Parallel Lines to compare. I'll try and get to them at the weekend.

A44E4A27-81ED-4CF5-88C6-9081CF252C0E.jpeg
TFW you spin one you haven’t listened to in a REAL long time, drop the needle and go, damn, that is a GREAT master! Check the deadwax and…. 💥💥

True to form with a 00’s Warner press however, side B is just a bit off center! 10” MoFi arm handled it quite nicely. I think these were all pressed at United in those days? I swear their presses were never calibrated properly.

View attachment 172503
TFW you spin one you haven’t listened to in a REAL long time, drop the needle and go, damn, that is a GREAT master! Check the deadwax and…. 💥💥

True to form with a 00’s Warner press however, side B is just a bit off center! 10” MoFi arm handled it quite nicely. I think these were all pressed at United in those days? I swear their presses were never calibrated properly.
That's some great album art too.

Anyone own this one?

Anyone own this one?

It's ok, but not great. The Pieces Iscariot repress sounds incredible, but they just didn't put the same amount of effort into this pressing imo.

Back