Definitive Audiophile pressings

Mofi says they are sorry:

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity brand.
We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.
We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we’ve achieved and continue to pursue with pride.

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity brand.
We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.
We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we’ve achieved and continue to pursue with pride.

"And finally, prices will rise by approximately 15% in order to offset the costs of the printing of additional materials to better inform our customers of our previous lack of information. Thank you and god bless."

Last edited:

I feel better now.

....and all it took was literally dozens of hours of exposes, discussion and trashtalking videos on youtube, the frothing ill-will of all their butthurt customers howling at each other in their facebook echo chambers and -- i'm guessing but i'll be surprised if it isn't at least some hundreds of thousands of cancelled orders.

man, fuck mofi's bullshit.

I admit i'm almost tempted to wander into the steve hoffman forums to see those dudes losing their shit over it

....and all it took was literally dozens of hours of exposes, discussion and trashtalking videos on youtube, the frothing ill-will of all their butthurt customers howling at each other in their facebook echo chambers and -- i'm guessing but i'll be surprised if it isn't at least some hundreds of thousands of cancelled orders.

man, fuck mofi's bullshit.

I admit i'm almost tempted to wander into the steve hoffman forums to see those dudes losing their shit over it

Honestly. In their shoes I might have just waited that little bit longer until the Hoffman pricks worked themselves up to tears and trantrums, they’d only just about got up to the helium voice stage

"And finally, prices will rise by approximately 15% in order to offset the costs of the printing of additional materials to better inform our customers of our previous lack of information. Thank you and god bless."
Don't worry, the new advertising materials will still cause the seam splits you all know and love from MoFi!

Also the Dylan BOTT one step. Which is one of the best records I’ve ever heard? That wasn’t even DSD 256. Standard SACD level DSD 64. And it’s magnificent.
I have to ask then, why not just buy the SACD? I'm totally out of the loop with DSD and everything behind it, but what's the benefit of pressing it to vinyl?

I have to ask then, why not just buy the SACD? I'm totally out of the loop with DSD and everything behind it, but what's the benefit of pressing it to vinyl?

The mastering process for vinyl and SACD are widely different. There are so many more restrictions with vinyl that create the sound we all like. Them both being from the same source has very little outcome on the final product. Also with that logic why bother buying anything on vinyl post 00, and a fair whack of 90s stuff too, just stream it instead.

Back