Definitive Audiophile pressings

I was just listening to my Canadian 1983 pressing of REM's Murmur and I'm reminded at how great it sounds. The pressing is still quiet after all these years and the dynamics are fantastic.

Anyone looking for a great sounding copy of this at a decent price should consider looking into this pressing. As a bonus, they were packed in an IRS branded rice paper inner so getting a clean copy may not be as hard a task as other records.

This is the copy I have:

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm having a crisis of confidence regarding audiophile pressings... Here's the thing, with these new speakers, all my worst pressings mostly sound very good, in some cases very very good. I know that these pressings are hot garbage, like Mondo Fight Club, and Titanic Rising, but... you guys... they sound really good now and I realize that I can no longer tell what an audiophile pressing sounds like. It's not a BAD problem per se... But it's messing with me. TITANIC RISING SOUNDS REALLY GOOD NOW AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

I was just listening to my Canadian 1983 pressing of REM's Murmur and I'm reminded at how great it sounds. The pressing is still quiet after all these years and the dynamics are fantastic.

Anyone looking for a great sounding copy of this at a decent price should consider looking into this pressing. As a bonus, they were packed in an IRS branded rice paper inner so getting a clean copy may not be as hard a task as other records.

This is the copy I have:

Dear Turbo

I can no longer hang out with you as you keep spending my money.

Good bye

Notwithstanding the above (i.e. don't let jamie see this), here's a pic of the record in the original inner. I completely forgot it was packed this way until I just took it out. Sticks out at the top a bit on one side, which is not ideal, but the mere fact they used this likely more than makes up for it. Nice to see some North American manufacturers understood how to store records. Was this the norm for I.R.S. for the time period?

IMG_1794.JPG

Notwithstanding the above (i.e. don't let jamie see this), here's a pic of the record in the original inner. I completely forgot it was packed this way until I just took it out. Sticks out at the top a bit on one side, which is not ideal, but the mere fact they used this likely more than makes up for it. Nice to see some North American manufacturers understood how to store records. Was this the norm for I.R.S. for the time period?

View attachment 112137
My copy of Reckoning came with a printer inner (on the right in above pic) but now you made me realize that I don’t have a copy of Murmur and need this. So thanks?

070C3BCC-3D89-4DE4-9800-E5C51B2D370B.jpeg

This is the copy I have:

Also, is your copy translucent brown/purple when held up to the light?

I know, I know... and I did order a US Reckoning on Quiex vinyl last night. The consequences are real and fast. Like pissing against the wind sometimes.
Just realized that my copy of Reckoning is on Quiex! I have this one. I have a first pressing of Document 5 too but that one's just regular ol wax. and I have the moFi of Murmur. Didn't really realize I had so many of their albums until I started finally finishing unpacking the last of my records! Listening to Reckoning now and it does sound fantastic.

Just realized that my copy of Reckoning is on Quiex! I have this one. I have a first pressing of Document 5 too but that one's just regular ol wax. and I have the moFi of Murmur. Didn't really realize I had so many of their albums until I started finally finishing unpacking the last of my records! Listening to Reckoning now and it does sound fantastic.

I found a repress on Quiex with the shrink still partially on last night. Fingers crossed that the vinyl is NM- too as advertised (the seller seemed to have a lot of great feedback, so I'm hopeful).

I found a repress on Quiex with the shrink still partially on last night. Fingers crossed that the vinyl is NM- too as advertised (the seller seemed to have a lot of great feedback, so I'm hopeful).
I have OG Quiex pressings of both Murmur and Reckoning I picked them both up directly from my local for around $10 each six or seven years ago. My copy of Reckoning was still the original shrink with its hype sticker. I was able to remove the hype and save it.
5D7909EF-1D8F-443B-A803-376CB9379F1C.jpeg

Back