Definitive Audiophile pressings

Their site is weird! I couldn’t find it on there! I did search. That will be roughly what I paid to MD and AP combined.

What I’ve found is that historically yes address pal have charged vat if the price is declared. But I haven’t had a single charge from an An Post, be it a handover from a foreign carrier or address pal, since covid. I think they’re really struggling with the volume of parcels that they’re getting.

Plus 21% VAT on what I paid is roughly €9 which brings the total to around €55 which is what the cheapest European vendor I could find was selling for before postage.

Do you find the couriers inconsistent? Usually I find them the most insistent because they’re just so happy to claim their obscene €20ish “admin fee”. The only time I bought direct from Music Direct they used the bastards at FedEx who are the most consistently “on it” when charging and have the highest of those “admin fees”.
Single records from deep discount or wowhd come through AnPost ok…. Most of last year though if there were two or more lps in a shipment I got snagged with Vat and duties from AnPost…. But it was hit and miss. My assumptions are that AddressPal are AnPost owned so likely to be caught than via other channels…

Separately I have ordered multiple times from MD, Mofi, Music Matters, Acoustic Sounds, and they were all delivered without additional charges, some (not all) of the couriers followed up with post delivery demands for duty payment (posted from the UK). Not sure of the enforceability of these demands from the UK (either pre or post Brexit).

I currently have a shipment coming from music matters jazz and a OneStep from disk union Japan (via Zenmarket). I asked MMJ to no/low declare and Zenmarket allow me to declare the value. So these should be relatively pain free…..

Their site is weird! I couldn’t find it on there! I did search.
In the listings click Parameters (to expand all) and then click on the Label. Use filters to narrow to ‘Available Immediately’ .

note they have subsets for some labels (eg Analogue Productions & Analogue Productions (Blue Note))

Single records from deep discount or wowhd come through AnPost ok…. Most of last year though if there were two or more lps in a shipment I got snagged with Vat and duties from AnPost…. But it was hit and miss. My assumptions are that AddressPal are AnPost owned so likely to be caught than via other channels…

Separately I have ordered multiple times from MD, Mofi, Music Matters, Acoustic Sounds, and they were all delivered without additional charges, some (not all) of the couriers followed up with post delivery demands for duty payment (posted from the UK). Not sure of the enforceability of these demands from the UK (either pre or post Brexit).

I currently have a shipment coming from music matters jazz and a OneStep from disk union Japan (via Zenmarket). I asked MMJ to no/low declare and Zenmarket allow me to declare the value. So these should be relatively pain free…..

Yeah pre covid you’re right but since then an post have charged me for nothing, including a couple of particularly heavy deliveries through address pal.

I’d imagine that as they’re charging Irish VAT and customs that they have to be registered with the Irish exchequer to do that and so I’d be shocked if it wasn’t enforceable regardless of where the company is based or from where they’re sending the letter. Whether is worth their while to enforce unless it’s a very high value is a completely different question.

I have it as well. Highly recommend. I'm sure the One Step is better but I didn't see the need to replicate an already great version.

I had it. What do you want to know?
How’s the sound quality on it? I’m sure it doesn’t compare to the One Step but just curious about it! Saw a copy for $50 that’s VG+ (Says one song has clicks for a few rotations) if anybody wants the link. I have the One Step already but it seems like a decent deal for anybody who wants it and doesn’t want to splurge on the one step

I have it as well. Highly recommend. I'm sure the One Step is better but I didn't see the need to replicate an already great version.

I actually wasn’t convinced by it tbh. Better than a standard pressing but I felt it was a decent amount worse than the 45 standard Dylan mofi’s and for the album in particular the One Step is of course a long way better BUT I actually also prefer the mid 00s columbia SACD i had of it too. At the original price of $35 it was fair, at $50 I’d have begun to question its worth, at the current secondary price I’d not touch it.

Well I’ll leave the link here for anybody who wants to take a chance on it!

I actually wasn’t convinced by it tbh. Better than a standard pressing but I felt it was a decent amount worse than the 45 standard Dylan mofi’s and for the album in particular the One Step is of course a long way better BUT I actually also prefer the mid 00s columbia SACD i had of it too. At the original price of $35 it was fair, at $50 I’d have begun to question its worth, at the current secondary price I’d not touch it.
Did you get the SACD Dylan box set back in the 00s or the one off releases by Columbia?

This is what I own. I can't remember if they sold each release separately though I'd imagine they did.

I'm just wrapping up spinning Max Richter's Voices (2LP) again. It's classical/ambient spoken word. Decca recording pressed at Optimal. Given the nature of it, I think it has be from digital -- and perhaps the instruments don't reach to the very back of the hall -- but it's got some killer moments and sounds amazing at parts. I picked it up from the Target -- there is also a Voices 2 -- being released that is purely instrumental. Recommended.
Composer Max Richter On 'Voices' And The Universal Declaration Of Human Rights

Did you get the SACD Dylan box set back in the 00s or the one off releases by Columbia?

This is what I own. I can't remember if they sold each release separately though I'd imagine they did.

No it was separate. This was the blood on the tracks that I owned.

I had Freewheelin’, Another Side, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 69, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, this and Desire. I think that the only other two that I didn’t get were Street Legal and Slow Train coming, they didn’t do everything in the box individually.

Actually I bet it’s still in the box under the bed in my spare room with the other CDs I’ve since replaced with vinyl...

Last edited:
I've got it. If I recall correctly, I've found it a little bright for lack a better -- enough that I don't reach for it as often -- but that was before the current turntable/set up.

I can give it a spin?
Playing it now. Adjusting for the bias of putting on an album I love that I haven't listened to in 6 months -- it sounds really good, better than on my previous set up, the highs still seem a little bright. I mind it less, but not one I'd ever pull out to say "wait until you hear this...."

Having just entered it into discogs...I don't think I'd pay $100. $50? Maybe... it sounds pretty darn good. Clicks would drive me batty though 🤣 and don't have an easy comparison to another copy

Edit:. Having listened to it all the way through, I don't know if I'd pay $50

Last edited:
I had the 33rpm MoFi Blood on the Tracks before I got the one step and sold it for $70 IIRC. It sounds better than a regular pressing, but was one of the less impressive MoFis I've had (it's comparable to New Morning). The one-step is well worth the upgrade.
I’ll second this opinion. Sounds slightly better than an OG on my humble system but not by a whole lot. Mine is dead quiet which is nice. Never heard the one step. I wouldn’t throw down crazy money on it though. $50 would be the most I’d consider paying for a NM copy. Otherwise just stick with a standard pressing.

Today, I popped into a weird video game store near me that also sells records and definitely launders money. Last time I went there was to buy some Nintendo Switch controllers for when my niece and nephew came to stay with us. The owner told me not to buy from them because they were expensive and Amazon had them cheaper hah.

Pretty sure nobody has actually purchased a record in there in the past 5 years. But they had a surprising amount of decent stuff because of that. Lots of MOV, some Analog Spark and older Rhinos. I ended up getting the Pallas pressing of Nirvana - Nevermind for $20 there (version with the Pallas sticker). Has BG in the runout and sounds pretty awesome. Might pop back there some other time when I have more time to browse.

Back