Definitive Audiophile pressings

yeah I’m not surprised. I had all 8 on the various mono pressings I detailed above before I’d even heard of the box lol. Had I got it I may not have bothered with the mofis of the two I have.
You were way ahead of me on the Dylans haha. I had various old pressings from my parents but no solid mono reissues. I still have a few of the MoFi stereo versions which I may sell eventually.

You were way ahead of me on the Dylans haha. I had various old pressings from my parents but no solid mono reissues. I still have a few of the MoFi stereo versions which I may sell eventually.
Honestly I bought freewheeling and blonde on blonde on MOV mono without realising they were mono. They were so spectacular that i bought JWH because it was the last mono left in my local.

I then went on a hunt and that led to mofi which led to MD so I picked the two best as mofi and got the sun dazed for the rest. I added the mofi of desire to the list. Do not ask me what the import fees on those six through fed ex were, years later and acknowledging it was worth it doesn’t make it less sore lol!

Last edited:
So I'm going though and entering my records into discogs because apparently that's what all you fancy people do with your big computer machines....And I'm, how accurate are those prices? Adjusting for the inflation of the fact that this hobby is at an all time (modern) high... Some of the prices seem rather high?

I'm only in my blues section and so maybe it's skewed -- but my AP blues records can't be worth $150-200. (Otherwise I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my position on record sleeves...not really, laziness would still win and I'm not selling them -- but maybe an insurance rider and keeping them well away from the kids "jams hands...")

I guess does discogs represent "temporary scarcity" like eBay or closer view of market value? Sorry if this is dumb question. I've bought 5-10 records off of discogs...but mostly old jazz and nothing that pricey

So I'm going though and entering my records into discogs because apparently that's what all you fancy people do with your big computer machines....And I'm, how accurate are those prices? Adjusting for the inflation of the fact that this hobby is at an all time (modern) high... Some of the prices seem rather high?

I'm only in my blues section and so maybe it's skewed -- but my AP blues records can't be worth $150-200. (Otherwise I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my position on record sleeves...not really, laziness would still win and I'm not selling them -- but maybe an insurance rider and keeping them well away from the kids "jams hands...")

I guess does discogs represent "temporary scarcity" like eBay or closer view of market value? Sorry if this is dumb question. I've bought 5-10 records off of discogs...but mostly old jazz and nothing that pricey
Median sale price is more accurate than what records are actually being listed at. The pandemic seems to have made people enter their stuff on discogs and start to pay crazy prices on things. I wouldn’t be shocked though if your blues AP pressings go for that much now.

buy some sleeves!! Protect those bad boys!

So prices have risen steadily and consistently since the COVID-19 outbreak. For OOP audiophile records, I'd say prices north of $100 are the norm.

Median sale price is more accurate than what records are actually being listed at. The pandemic seems to have made people enter their stuff on discogs and start to pay crazy prices on things. I wouldn’t be shocked though if your blues AP pressings go for that much now.

buy some sleeves!! Protect those bad boys!

depends on the record. Got to play it by eye a bit too. Median is always the weakest average, it is no mean! I have a few where max is actually a fairer representation.

Last edited:
This pressing is the one that makes me debate picking up the MoFi, it sound just spectacular. If it hadn't cost me $10 I probably would grab the MoFi..................may still, lol.

The Canadian Audiophile Series is pretty impressive in my opinion.
View attachment 90807
I hear ya! But I've found myself falling into the trap of pulling out an ORG OG or other pressing to see how it sounds, and the better it sounds, the more likely I am to think: man, what MoFi could do with this! LOL

EDIT: Made a correction: Inadvertently typed ORG when I meant to refer to an original pressing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The other thing worth remembering is that in some cases a record might sell that is unique to the listing, which then bumps up to overall price for the averages. For example I have seen a few records before where the highest is significantly more than any others that have sold and it turned out that it was because it was a signed copy.

The other thing worth remembering is that in some cases a record might sell that is unique to the listing, which then bumps up to overall price for the averages. For example I have seen a few records before where the highest is significantly more than any others that have sold and it turned out that it was because it was a signed copy.

Yeah one of the PJ Harvey reissues is like that. Still in stores for €20 and that’s about the median but 2 signed ones sold for well over €200.

I hear ya! But I've found myself falling into the trap of pulling out an ORG or other pressing to see how it sounds, and the better it sounds, the more likely I am to think: man, what MoFi could do with this! LOL
This pressing is the one that makes me debate picking up the MoFi, it sound just spectacular. If it hadn't cost me $10 I probably would grab the MoFi..................may still, lol.

The Canadian Audiophile Series is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Are you suggesting that MOFI puts out better quality than ORG (that's not a challenge, just making sure my reading comp is intact)? Or is that a general consensus?

I think SC, ORG, AP, Pallas, etc. are up there with MOFI. In fact, I don't think MOFI is some pinnacle or lone occupant of some rarefied air. I've had MOFI pressings that have been downright disappointing.

What is this "Canadian Audiophile Series"? Is it a proper series or is that your choice of capitalization? Can you link the copy you have (apologies if you previously did; my scroll wheel is broken; by scroll wheel I really just mean me)

Yeah one of the PJ Harvey reissues is like that. Still in stores for €20 and that’s about the median but 2 signed ones sold for well over €200.
Cogs needs to add that designation as well as basing the selling price averages on grade instead of the last 10 sales. I know you can look at the sales chart to see what sold for what in what condition, but think I would prefer to see the average price listed by grade and not how it is now.

Mint $X.XX
Near Mint $X.XX
Very Good + $X.XX
Very Good $X.XX
Good Plus $X.XX
Good $X.XX
Fair $X.XX
Poor $X.XX

Honestly I don't know why they don't do it this way, they already have the data, it's just changing what the site lists and breaks it down.

Are you suggesting that MOFI puts out better quality than ORG (that's not a challenge, just making sure my reading comp is intact)? Or is that a general consensus?

I think SC, ORG, AP, Pallas, etc. are up there with MOFI. In fact, I don't think MOFI is some pinnacle or lone occupant of some rarefied air. I've had MOFI pressings that have been downright disappointing.

What is this "Canadian Audiophile Series"? Is it a proper series or is that your choice of capitalization? Can you link the copy you have (apologies if you previously did; my scroll wheel is broken; by scroll wheel I really just mean me)
Half Speed Masters pressed in Japan and imported to Canada for A&M Records.........short lived.
Audiophile Series

Back