Definitive Audiophile pressings

Today, I popped into a weird video game store near me that also sells records and definitely launders money. Last time I went there was to buy some Nintendo Switch controllers for when my niece and nephew came to stay with us. The owner told me not to buy from them because they were expensive and Amazon had them cheaper hah.

Pretty sure nobody has actually purchased a record in there in the past 5 years. But they had a surprising amount of decent stuff because of that. Lots of MOV, some Analog Spark and older Rhinos. I ended up getting the Pallas pressing of Nirvana - Nevermind for $20 there (version with the Pallas sticker). Has BG in the runout and sounds pretty awesome. Might pop back there some other time when I have more time to browse.
Great snag for $20! It sounds great doesn't it!?

This may have been covered already here or elsewhere, but what is the consensus on the Mono Dylan Box vs the mono Dylan MoFi's? Has anyone here been able to compare them?

This may have been covered already here or elsewhere, but what is the consensus on the Mono Dylan Box vs the mono Dylan MoFi's? Has anyone here been able to compare them?
Considering price, I’ve been more than happy with the mono box. I have the mono copy of Freewheelin on MoFi but haven't done an A/B comparison recently. Are you just looking at one specific title? Or a bunch?

Considering price, I’ve been more than happy with the mono box. I have the mono copy of Freewheelin on MoFi but haven't done an A/B comparison recently. Are you just looking at one specific title? Or a bunch?

Who mastered the box Mike? Mine are all mono but I have a mix of big Kev on Sundazed, smiffy on MOV and mofi and all are supposedly AAA.

Who mastered the box Mike? Mine are all mono but I have a mix of big Kev on Sundazed, smiffy on MOV and mofi and all are supposedly AAA.
Joe - I believe this box was mastered at Sterling but not sure who exactly. RTI pressed. I had some Sundazed and these blew the Sundazed away. Can't compare to MOFI but if you never heard the MOFI and just got this box you'd be more than pleased.

Joe - I believe this box was mastered at Sterling but not sure who exactly. RTI pressed. I had some Sundazed and these blew the Sundazed away. Can't compare to MOFI but if you never heard the MOFI and just got this box you'd be more than pleased.

The three Sundazed I have are all KG and while I believe you on the box, they are the worst of the mono presses that I own, but also my three least spun mono Dylan: S/T, Another Side and Times.

The MOV are RKS and a big step up, I really like them. The ones I have are Freewheelin’, Blonde and JWH. I’d guess that’s the same masters as the box then because the MOV were 2010 which is pretty contemporaneous with the box.

I have MoFis of Bringing and Highway and they are pretty special to be fair! I can’t see myself swapping any of my monos all things considered.

I wanna say without looking that Smiffy did some and Marino did others? @marshall is right that it was done at Sterling and pressed at RTI.
I think maybe Smith did them all but didn't write his name on all. Confusing. Also some sets have the MOV and some don't.

Screenshot_20210306-175456.png

I think I have the one that doesn't have any MOV. Only one side out of all of them have any engineer markings and it is RKS. But, all say STERLING.

I think maybe Smith did them all but didn't write his name on all. Confusing. Also some sets have the MOV and some don't.

View attachment 90792

I think I have the one that doesn't have any MOV. Only one side out of all of them have any engineer markings and it is RKS.
interesting! i'll have to check which I have. I seem to remember that I also have one that only says RKS on one side now that you mention it.

I have some of the Mono MoFi's but not any of the first 4 albums. Seems like between 45rpm and price, the MoFi's are a bit much for those. So considering the box for them.

View attachment 90792

I think I have the one that doesn't have any MOV. Only one side out of all of them have any engineer markings and it is RKS. But, all say STERLING.
Mine all have STERLING stamped in and just one side has RKS on it--i think it's side 2 of The Times...

I have the Mono Box and have never been tempted to even look at the MoFis. And I have Nashville Skyline, New Morning, Pat Garrett, Planet Waves, Before The Flood, Basement Tapes, Desire, Oh Mercy, and Love and Theft on Mofi and the BOTT One Step, so I'm not adverse to getting the MoFi version.
Same here. The Mono box is real nice. I think I bought the Freewheelin MoFi because it was something like $30 on ebay and I was curious about the difference but I always go for the mono box when listening to those albums now.

I have the Mono Box and have never been tempted to even look at the MoFis. And I have Nashville Skyline, New Morning, Pat Garrett, Planet Waves, Before The Flood, Basement Tapes, Desire, Oh Mercy, and Love and Theft on Mofi and the BOTT One Step, so I'm not adverse to getting the MoFi version.

Same here. The Mono box is real nice. I think I bought the Freewheelin MoFi because it was something like $30 on ebay and I was curious about the difference but I always go for the mono box when listening to those albums now.

yeah I’m not surprised. I had all 8 on the various mono pressings I detailed above before I’d even heard of the box lol. Had I got it I may not have bothered with the mofis of the two I have.

Back