Definitive Audiophile pressings

Ok, I have lots of sibilance on the last track of two sides of my Rumours 45RPM. This isn’t the only 45 audiophile record where I have abundant sibilance issues. It’s driving me crazy.

Is it something in my system that can be fixed? Is it a known Ortofon issue for inner groove distortion? Is it my preamp? I’m really confused why this happens.
I’d ask about it on one of the equipment threads! Could be a setup issue

Yea it will be back! Rumours is such a moneymaker and now that words out on how good that pressing is, they’ll keep pressing it for awhile I imagine. It’s funny how much things have changed in the past few years. All these records that shops couldn’t get rid of are selling like crazy and getting repressed.

It’s just a pity they didn’t take the same view with self titled 45 I’d love that. There’s a lot more people in the hobby now so more demand I’m guessing plus even people like me, who’ve been doing it for a while, are getting more clued up on pressings.

For the Talking Heads start your Ear off right -- is there anything special about those releases outside of the color? (most specifically for...and for The Name of this Band.... ). Thanks!

Also: I've been spending a fair amount of time with Talk Talk in my headphones again. That's quality time.

For the Talking Heads start your Ear off right -- is there anything special about those releases outside of the color? (most specifically for...and for The Name of this Band.... ). Thanks!

Also: I've been spending a fair amount of time with Talk Talk in my headphones again. That's quality time.
I believe these are pressed from the previous Rhino remasters which are really well done. I have Speaking in Tongues and it sounds great.

As @marshall said I think they use existing plates from the 2013 pressing which I believe is a Bellman cut and is AAA. I don’t have that one but I do have the Talking Heads ‘77 KG cut and it sounds great to me. Just bought it a month or so ago so you can still find copies.

I was considering picking up that one, too, and then I saw this at Target:
Talking Heads - Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (Vinyl)

It was hard to pass up with the B2G1. I haven't received it yet, but the UPC is for the 2013 issue. Even if it ended up being the European pressing, which I doubt, it's still supposed the CB cut, so I'd be happy.

Last edited:
I just bought this SYEOR red version of “The Name of this Band . . .” Not bc of the colored vinyl, but bc it was the copy at my local shop.

Sound quality is excellent for a live album. Disc 1 is a little bright to my ears, but I didn’t buy it for Disc 1. The crew on Disc 2 that toured “Remain in Light” took the band to heights unseen for them, before or after. I’d buy anything released with that group, and Disc 2 is the reason I bought this. Well worth it.

I just bought this SYEOR red version of “The Name of this Band . . .” Not bc of the colored vinyl, but bc it was the copy at my local shop.

Sound quality is excellent for a live album. Disc 1 is a little bright to my ears, but I didn’t buy it for Disc 1. The crew on Disc 2 that toured “Remain in Light” took the band to heights unseen for them, before or after. I’d buy anything released with that group, and Disc 2 is the reason I bought this. Well worth it.
Ordered that, Lou Reed New York, TP Lloyd Charles -- because, records...

Last edited:
Have you booked the set of lessons you need on how to take it out the package?
Got them from Target I assume? I grabbed that Lou from the Target sale finally.
All from Target -- that sale really got the best of me this year. Final results
  • 6 Tone Poet (Witch Doctor, One Flight Up, Oblique, Byrd in Flight, Waiting Game, the Lloyd Charles)
  • 1 Peggy Lee Acoustic Sounds
  • 1 Lee Morgan Lighthouse Set
  • Lou Reed, New York
  • Talking Heads... and the name
I can feel my beloved wife's delight radiating already*... thank goodness there are some pre-orders in there that will pace out the packages.

On opening the Lou Reed: I plan on looking at it as an artistic statement in wherein he's expressing his anger with my lack of commitment to the arts. If I was worthy, it would open easily. (truly worthy and I'd open it to find the AAA vs. digital release)

*my wife is actually relatively awesome about it given the absurd amount of records I buy ...but the side-eye is so very real. (it burns, it burns...)

the is a big box coming today from Acoustic Sounds

All from Target -- that sale really got the best of me this year. Final results
  • 6 Tone Poet (Witch Doctor, One Flight Up, Oblique, Byrd in Flight, Waiting Game, the Lloyd Charles)
  • 1 Peggy Lee Acoustic Sounds
  • 1 Lee Morgan Lighthouse Set
  • Lou Reed, New York
  • Talking Heads... and the name
I can feel my beloved wife's delight radiating already*... thank goodness there are some pre-orders in there that will pace out the packages.

On opening the Lou Reed: I plan on looking at it as an artistic statement in wherein he's expressing his anger with my lack of commitment to the arts. If I was worthy, it would open easily. (truly worthy and I'd open it to find the AAA vs. digital release)

*my wife is actually relatively awesome about it given the absurd amount of records I buy ...but the side-eye is so very real. (it burns, it burns...)

the is a big box coming today from Acoustic Sounds
I only had one preorder I think in my Target order so Monday and Tuesday are going to be rough for me...Got 4 shipping notices yesterday.

I just received mine today and the same thing happened. I check my email and it says mono, but it looks like their listing online has been updated to stereo.
Well if it's any consolation, I have the mono and I'm pretty sure the Stereo is the better of the two. The mono is... fine, but I really don't think it sounds great.

Well if it's any consolation, I have the mono and I'm pretty sure the Stereo is the better of the two. The mono is... fine, but I really don't think it sounds great.

Heres the thing with Pet Sounds, despite its lush orchestration it isn’t a stellar recording by any stretch of the imagination. I’d always go mono as that was how it was intended but I would never expect it to sound like a reference recording.

Back