Definitive Audiophile pressings

That's a great question, and you forgot "Sold Out", which seems obvious, but wouldn't that be the same as Out of Stock?
...........I feel like they're leaving their options open, lol

Out of Stock could the ones they're holding a few copies back to jack up the price on at Music Direct? And Sold Out there's just no more, so you have to buy one with a jacked up price... so yeah. Same thing.

Does anyone know the difference between "Awaiting Repress" (Bill Withers GH) and "Out of Stock" (Supertramp's Breakfast in America) at Music Direct?

Second question - I've heard lots of mixed results on the MOFI Breakfast in America - any opinions on if it's an upgrade from the MOV version?
MD told me that Out of Stock means it will likely come back sooner and is likely in the process of being pressed. Awaiting Repress means it will get restocked eventually but is not yet with the pressing plants. Either way, those albums SHOULD be back at some point and are not OOP.

Breakfast in America is rumored to be restocked any day now. It was supposed to get restocked end of last week but I think the snowstorms all over the east coast might have set things back a little bit.

I must say the Speakers Corner Lou Reed-Transformer does indeed sound awesome, I can see why the rave reviews and quick sell-out time. That said my original US pressing is definitely superior sounding: brighter, more energetic lead guitar, punchier mid-range on the drums. The SC has more low end and more separation of things like the cowbell and backing vocals and the 2nd guitar, but lacks that midrange punch or bite on the high end of the OG. Very different sounding but still a REALLY good reissue.
You know, I kind of feel that way about the 2LP 45 RPM pressing of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. Every little detail seems to have its own place in the mix, which is kind of remarkable, but I'm not sure it all comes together in a "greater than the sum of its parts" way. I'll have to give it a few more listens, and maybe I should compare it to an original to see just how different it might be.

That's a great question, and you forgot "Sold Out", which seems obvious, but wouldn't that be the same as Out of Stock?
...........I feel like they're leaving their options open, lol
MD doesn't do "sold out" for the MoFis. If you see a MoFi on the Music Direct site, it's still in print as a general rule of thumb. No idea what the MoFI site itself does because some will say "sold out" yet still be up for sale on MD. The MoFi stock notice seems to be only for what they sell directly on their site and they seem to split stock with MD.

You know, I kind of feel that way about the 2LP 45 RPM pressing of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. Every little detail seems to have its own place in the mix, which is kind of remarkable, but I'm not sure it all comes together in a "greater than the sum of its parts" way. I'll have to give it a few more listens, and maybe I should compare it to an original to see just how different it might be.
Interesting... I have an OG Rumors that's in pretty good shape and I think the 45RPM blows it out of the water. The OG doesn't sound bad, but you can just hear so much more of everything on the 45. There are details I never picked up on with the 33 OG pressing. It's been a minute since I compared them back to back, but the 45 is my go-to and the only reason I pull out the 33 is if we had friends over and I didn't want to have to flip the 45 over every two to three songs.

Interesting... I have an OG Rumors that's in pretty good shape and I think the 45RPM blows it out of the water. The OG doesn't sound bad, but you can just hear so much more of everything on the 45. There are details I never picked up on with the 33 OG pressing. It's been a minute since I compared them back to back, but the 45 is my go-to and the only reason I pull out the 33 is if we had friends over and I didn't want to have to flip the 45 over every two to three songs.
Yeah, my comment wasn't based on a comparison because I didn't compare them directly. And I find it very easy to believe there's a lot to hear with the 45 that's at best barely evident with the 33 OG. My point was more toward questioning whether and how the whole thing comes together when each and every bit of it has its own space in the mix. But as I said, I have to give it a few more listens to see if I'm just making this shit up or it really is an issue.

This album has popped up here recently as one that was pressed well originally and sounds great as a MoFi one-step. I just saw this listing on Amazon--looks like Rhino has a repress of it coming in March. Haven't been able to find anything more about whether this is just a straight repress or something to get more excited about. Anyone know anything about this?

Amazon product ASIN B08VBH5NPR

This album has popped up here recently as one that was pressed well originally and sounds great as a MoFi one-step. I just saw this listing on Amazon--looks like Rhino has a repress of it coming in March. Haven't been able to find anything more about whether this is just a straight repress or something to get more excited about. Anyone know anything about this?

Amazon product ASIN B08VBH5NPR
Saw this in the Target sale too I think but no details!

Yeah I will say the 45 of Rumours is by far the best version of it I have heard, but it too is very definitely different than other pressings.

Ok, I have lots of sibilance on the last track of two sides of my Rumours 45RPM. This isn’t the only 45 audiophile record where I have abundant sibilance issues. It’s driving me crazy.

Is it something in my system that can be fixed? Is it a known Ortofon issue for inner groove distortion? Is it my preamp? I’m really confused why this happens.

To be fair I think I’ve put through 7 orders. 5 like clockwork the other two were fucking insane and infuriating! The best negative review on trustpilot involved him and his son shouting expletives down the phone at the poor customer!
Yeah. You just need to hang on in till the 'dispatched in 7 days' doesn't show and the response to the request about when you're likely to get your refund or failing that a record is 'sometimes days... Sometimes years'

Anyone know where this Rumors 45 RPM may still be in stock?
You may have missed the boat this time around...it’s been back in stock for a few weeks now at Acoustic Sounds and other places but I can’t find it in stock anywhere after a quick look. Maybe somebody has a lead on a local carrying it? A lot of stores had it and then I saw it got posted to Reddit and those things flew. It should be getting repressed though.

You may have missed the boat this time around...it’s been back in stock for a few weeks now at Acoustic Sounds and other places but I can’t find it in stock anywhere after a quick look. Maybe somebody has a lead on a local carrying it? A lot of stores had it and then I saw it got posted to Reddit and those things flew. It should be getting repressed though.

It seems to randomly reappear every year to 18 months. I got it off Amazon with a random reappear like that in summer 19, a few others bought it off Wallmart around then too. It seems with this one that it’s worth just being patient and periodically checking the usual haunts.

It seems to randomly reappear every year to 18 months. I got it off Amazon with a random reappear like that in summer 19, a few others bought it off Wallmart around then too. It seems with this one that it’s worth just being patient and periodically checking the usual haunts.
Yea I ended up with 2 copies from Amazon and I think I paid $20. One came scuffed up so they sent me a new one for free. My buddy has the scuffed one now. I doubt it’ll show up for that cheap again but given the popularity of it, I’m sure it will be back soon. @Ghost it’s worth signing up to plaidroom’s notification for it to come back in stock

Yea I ended up with 2 copies from Amazon and I think I paid $20. One came scuffed up so they sent me a new one for free. My buddy has the scuffed one now. I doubt it’ll show up for that cheap again but given the popularity of it, I’m sure it will be back soon. @Ghost it’s worth signing up to plaidroom’s notification for it to come back in stock

Oh yeah I don’t think it will be that cheap, was more using as an example that’s it’s coming in and out of availability so doesn’t appear to have been deleted.

Oh yeah I don’t think it will be that cheap, was more using as an example that’s it’s coming in and out of availability so doesn’t appear to have been deleted.
Yea it will be back! Rumours is such a moneymaker and now that words out on how good that pressing is, they’ll keep pressing it for awhile I imagine. It’s funny how much things have changed in the past few years. All these records that shops couldn’t get rid of are selling like crazy and getting repressed.

Back