Definitive Audiophile pressings

I know we had this discussion a while back and the consensus was that the Half-Speed Back to Black (Winehouse) was an upgrade but not a substantial one due to middling source recording quality? Is this still the thought?

I really don't need a fourth copy of Back to Black (I should probably PIF one or them as is) but it's an all-time favorite album to me so it's one I'm looking to optimize if it's worth it, especially with it being repressed.

I know we had this discussion a while back and the consensus was that the Half-Speed Back to Black (Winehouse) was an upgrade but not a substantial one due to middling source recording quality? Is this still the thought?

I really don't need a fourth copy of Back to Black (I should probably PIF one or them as is) but it's an all-time favorite album to me so it's one I'm looking to optimize if it's worth it, especially with it being repressed.

The half speed back to black is an enormous improvement over the normal. It’s still pretty average because the recordings aren’t stellar but it’s as good as you’re going to make that source material sound. The reason that it’s still an enormous improvement over the original despite that? The original is such a bad master and pressing. It’s just dire. Plus the bonus disc is worth the entrance fee, for me.

The half speed back to black is an enormous improvement over the normal. It’s still pretty average because the recordings aren’t stellar but it’s as good as you’re going to make that source material sound. The reason that it’s still an enormous improvement over the original despite that? The original is such a bad master and pressing. It’s just dire. Plus the bonus disc is worth the entrance fee, for me.

This is the kind of bad financial influence I was looking for from this thread, delivered as always. Thank you!

Not sure where to post this, but I jumped into an order of Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin Nocturnes SACD on Elusive disc. It is backordered. I checked in at 3 months out and they said it is something they expect to get in eventually. It's been 5 months. I REALLY want it and can't find it anywhere else. How long should I leave my money sit there. If I pull it, I go to the back of the line correct?

Personally, I’d buy a VG copy of this pressing for the same price:Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (Vinyl, US, 1974) For Sale | Discogs

Best I’ve ever heard and I’ve had a handful of copies throughout the years.
Got this in today. The dynamics from the recording are great. However there's so much static surface noise the entire time, I can't actually enjoy the AT/ GP master. Bummed but will keep looking.

I feel like the seller really mislead me.

Got this in today. The dynamics from the recording are great. However there's so much static surface noise the entire time, I can't actually enjoy the AT/ GP master. Bummed but will keep looking.

I feel like the seller really mislead me.
Agh! I’m so sorry to hear that. VG should still be listenable and static shouldn’t be overwhelming the music at all. Try to get a return or refund.

The Miles Davis On The Corner Mofi is up as well, I know the other two were mentioned so this one may have too but...

Not sure where to post this, but I jumped into an order of Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin Nocturnes SACD on Elusive disc. It is backordered. I checked in at 3 months out and they said it is something they expect to get in eventually. It's been 5 months. I REALLY want it and can't find it anywhere else. How long should I leave my money sit there. If I pull it, I go to the back of the line correct?
pretty sure ED doesn't charge until shipping. and yes--i'd assume that if you cancel your preorder, you'd go to the back of the line.

i just got that sinatra sings impex vinyl after a year of waiting. they had said it would be fulfilled sooner and i kinda forgot about it!

So, I have wanted a copy of Os Mutantes 1968 self-titled Brazilian psych Classic for quite awhile. Problem is that OGs go for a mint and are super hard to find in good condition. That has limited me to their Reissues, of those it looks like the two most readily available for a reasonable price are the Russian label Lilith or a Scorpio reissue. Neither sounded super appealing but my local got a copy of the Lilith reissue in stock last week for around $20. I was there picking up something else anyways so I figured I would grab that also. Fast forward a week and I haven’t yet gotten the opportunity to spin it but I’m looking over my Local “New Arrivals” post online and lo and behold they just got in a NM (probably closer to VG+) copy of the 2015 Polysom Brazilian Mono reissue. That is pretty tough to track down in the states for $39. I bit the bullet and purchased this record again. I am gonna A/B the two for comparison sake and then either PIF or sell the version I least prefer. It’s just weird how stuff like this happens.

Anyways anybody own or have an opinion on Os Mutantes pressings?

Here are the two I now own…

The still sealed Russian Lilith…

And the Brazilian Mono Polysom I need to pick up…
I have this one:

can give it a clean and listen in the next day or so if you'd like!

Yes, I run all records through my KAB EV1 with AI super cleaner formula.
VG American records are going to take a lot of work. They originally came in paper sleeves and the dust and deterioration of the paper over many years are now heavily embedded. One cleaning and one solution won't do it. Try Disc Doctor fluid, used correctly, it is far more powerful.

These records can never really be cleaned to absolute quiet, assuming there are no scratches or other issues. The best you can hope for is getting them reasonably playable.

I have found gradings to be very dubious from American sellers online, but at the same time, true NM is almost never going to happen, unless you stumble across a seller who stored records in rice paper inners from the start.

pretty sure ED doesn't charge until shipping. and yes--i'd assume that if you cancel your preorder, you'd go to the back of the line.

i just got that sinatra sings impex vinyl after a year of waiting. they had said it would be fulfilled sooner and i kinda forgot about it!
Did they honor the year-old price?

VG American records are going to take a lot of work. They originally came in paper sleeves and the dust and deterioration of the paper over many years are now heavily embedded. One cleaning and one solution won't do it. Try Disc Doctor fluid, used correctly, it is far more powerful.

These records can never really be cleaned to absolute quiet, assuming there are no scratches or other issues. The best you can hope for is getting them reasonably playable.

I have found gradings to be very dubious from American sellers online, but at the same time, true NM is almost never going to happen, unless you stumble across a seller who stored records in rice paper inners from the start.
I am tracking.

I was also thinking of trying out the AI enzyme cleaner also.
Seems like a deeper cleaning may be the key here.

I have cleaned several 40-50 year old records but nothing compares to this surface noise.
Also have a sizable scratch throuh Black Mountain Side.

Seller gave me partial refund 40%.

Not one to leave bad reviews but a little frustrating with this BS.

Attachments

• 20220222_171112.jpg
    20220222_171112.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15

I was charged. Shows in an order with another item. It was not a pre-order. The total was taken. The communication is that they will notify me when it's in stock and ready to ship.

Back