Definitive Audiophile pressings

For the first time, I used Craigslist to look for records. It’s mostly a cesspool, but I just scored a couple nice pickups of original OJC Bill Evans releases. Bought from original owner and both are in excellent condition, w/ vinyl in the NM- range and covers probably VG++. They are Everybody Digs Bill Evans and At Shelly’s Manne-Hole. Price-wise, I did well but not sick bargains.

Of course, with all this talk of inflation and higher prices, a good score can be relative bc the Shelly’s Manne-Hole has the hype with original price sticker — $6.99. 🤑

For the first time, I used Craigslist to look for records. It’s mostly a cesspool, but I just scored a couple nice pickups of original OJC Bill Evans releases. Bought from original owner and both are in excellent condition, w/ vinyl in the NM- range and covers probably VG++. They are Everybody Digs Bill Evans and At Shelly’s Manne-Hole. Price-wise, I did well but not sick bargains.

Of course, with all this talk of inflation and higher prices, a good score can be relative bc the Shelly’s Manne-Hole has the hype with original price sticker — $6.99. 🤑
Need that Shelly Manne's Hole album! Good pick ups, HIGHLY recommend the 80's OJC of Bill Evan's Interplay

Need that Shelly Manne's Hole album! Good pick ups, HIGHLY recommend the 80's OJC of Bill Evan's Interplay
I know from another thread you’re dealing w/ some shite w your new TT, so you may not be in a space to think about this now, but I had a chance to clean this and am listening to it now and . . . the sound quality is unbelievable. I was more excited about Everybody Digs Bill Evans, which sounds very good, but Shelly’s Manne-Hole is on another level. The trio is in my living room, especially the bass, snare, and high hat. I’ll be on the lookout for Interplay.

On the slightly bright side, the options on Discogs aren’t great right now anyway (there’s a NM by a seller w/ a bad rating), so there’s nothing to rush to online. But, when the time comes, I think this is worth spending on if you already like the album. My copy has a small amount of scattered surface noise but otherwise is well beyond my expectations.

So, I have wanted a copy of Os Mutantes 1968 self-titled Brazilian psych Classic for quite awhile. Problem is that OGs go for a mint and are super hard to find in good condition. That has limited me to their Reissues, of those it looks like the two most readily available for a reasonable price are the Russian label Lilith or a Scorpio reissue. Neither sounded super appealing but my local got a copy of the Lilith reissue in stock last week for around $20. I was there picking up something else anyways so I figured I would grab that also. Fast forward a week and I haven’t yet gotten the opportunity to spin it but I’m looking over my Local “New Arrivals” post online and lo and behold they just got in a NM (probably closer to VG+) copy of the 2015 Polysom Brazilian Mono reissue. That is pretty tough to track down in the states for $39. I bit the bullet and purchased this record again. I am gonna A/B the two for comparison sake and then either PIF or sell the version I least prefer. It’s just weird how stuff like this happens.

Anyways anybody own or have an opinion on Os Mutantes pressings?

Here are the two I now own…

The still sealed Russian Lilith…

And the Brazilian Mono Polysom I need to pick up…

So, I have wanted a copy of Os Mutantes 1968 self-titled Brazilian psych Classic for quite awhile. Problem is that OGs go for a mint and are super hard to find in good condition. That has limited me to their Reissues, of those it looks like the two most readily available for a reasonable price are the Russian label Lilith or a Scorpio reissue. Neither sounded super appealing but my local got a copy of the Lilith reissue in stock last week for around $20. I was there picking up something else anyways so I figured I would grab that also. Fast forward a week and I haven’t yet gotten the opportunity to spin it but I’m looking over my Local “New Arrivals” post online and lo and behold they just got in a NM (probably closer to VG+) copy of the 2015 Polysom Brazilian Mono reissue. That is pretty tough to track down in the states for $39. I bit the bullet and purchased this record again. I am gonna A/B the two for comparison sake and then either PIF or sell the version I least prefer. It’s just weird how stuff like this happens.

Quick Google search on records pressed in Russia say that they are not usually the best quality. I'd keep the Brazilian one since they are a Brazilian group, and I have a few Brazil records that are decent. I've got the 2018 US pressing of this one that I haven't listened to in awhile, but remember it sounding decent.

Quick Google search on records pressed in Russia say that they are not usually the best quality. I'd keep the Brazilian one since they are a Brazilian group, and I have a few Brazil records that are decent. I've got the 2018 US pressing of this one that I haven't listened to in awhile, but remember it sounding decent.
I think Lilith reissues are pressed at GZ.

I think Lilith reissues are pressed at GZ.
Correct. The Lilith and Scorpio pressing (which I think are both sourced digitally) I believe are pressed at GZ and Rainbo respectively. Between those two I would definitely go with the GZ. I haven’t found too much info on the Brazilian Polysom pressing beyond that it is part of this series…

Anyone familiar. with the 2010 Archive Collection pressing of Band on the run? Worth the high asking prices or is a clean original just as good?

I have this one…
… and it sounds good to me. I am not looking to upgrade.

I have the Polysom and I used to have the Scorpio. Polysom sounds better and was a much better pressing. Still a pretty raw recording though so don’t expect audiophile level. I’d personally go for the Polysom.

Correct. The Lilith and Scorpio pressing (which I think are both sourced digitally) I believe are pressed at GZ and Rainbo respectively. Between those two I would definitely go with the GZ. I haven’t found too much info on the Brazilian Polysom pressing beyond that it is part of this series…
I have Jorge Ben’s Africa Brasil from this series and I’d actually call it audiophile level - quiet wax and great sound. No idea who mastered it and where (going out a limb assuming it’s a Brazilian guy somewhere in Brazil 😀), but I’m guessing it’s the same for your LP.

Back