Definitive Audiophile pressings

Just listening the Barney Wilen RSD release and super impressed. Sounds great, wasn't expecting much as it's a MPO pressing & Boom Boom hasn't been anywhere near it.
I've been pretty happy with most MPO releases I've gotten. Maybe Ive been lucky since I know a lot of people haven't been impressed by them.

I've been pretty happy with most MPO releases I've gotten. Maybe Ive been lucky since I know a lot of people haven't been impressed by them.

I've generally been happy, but I don't think I've had many great sounding records cut on MPO. Maybe I had some issues and then have always been a little wary, tbh these days Optimal is as risky as GZ

It's about 2 minutes and 54 seconds too long for me.

Kidding. I don't think I hate it as much as @Joe Mac does but its definitely not a top S&G song for me at all. Probably stems from me hearing it way too much as a kid though.

Honestly I don’t hate it really. I’m big into exaggeration for effect. It just feels a bit trite, simple and cliched in comparison to the rest of the album. In comparison Side B of that album is pretty much perfection, The Boxer and The Only Living Boy In New York are right up there with my all time favourites.

Haha I have no idea what this is but that's funny. My avatar is taken from an Iron & Wine concert poster.

It was a children's tv programme the UK, that I barely remember, but I do remember having a book when I was a kid. I think it was by the same people who did the Magic Roundabout & probably inspired by the Simon & Garfunkel album

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 21.34.43.png

Honestly I don’t hate it really. I’m big into exaggeration for effect. It just feels a bit trite, simple and cliched in comparison to the rest of the album. In comparison Side B of that album is pretty much perfection, The Boxer and The Only Living Boy In New York are right up there with my all time favourites.

the Suggs version is great

I was 13 when this song hit the airwaves and in addition to having a catchy melody, the lyrics were perfectly scandalous for a young teen who could only imagine with awe and wonder, and no small amount of excited confusion, what the hell kind of a world might contain the likes of this: (I could never say I dislike this song :))
Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia
Up in my bedroom (making love)
I got up to wash my face
When I come back to bed
Someone's taken my place

I was 13 when this song hit the airwaves and in addition to having a catchy melody, the lyrics were perfectly scandalous for a young teen who could only imagine with awe and wonder, and no small amount of excited confusion, what the hell kind of a world might contain the likes of this: (I could never say I dislike this song :))
Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia
Up in my bedroom (making love)
I got up to wash my face
When I come back to bed
Someone's taken my place
Wasn’t it Colbert who asked Paul Simon why he was washing his face right after making love? Haha

Just listening the Barney Wilen RSD release and super impressed. Sounds great, wasn't expecting much as it's a MPO pressing & Boom Boom hasn't been anywhere near it.

edit - as soon ass I post I hear a little distortion - probably just needs a clean. Generally super quiet vinyl & really clear presentation
Sweet, this arrived for me yesterday from Jazz Messengers and was really well packed. Card corner protectors, extra paper to stop movement, and in a huge box. Looks like a great set and surprisingly 'affordable' for an RSD release, although it is 1 record.

Yeah that's the issue. I saw that older one but there's none for sale anywhere and one used in cogs. So the MOV is the only one that I'm certain is RKS. The newer presses have zero info so I don't know that they're the same master

Maybe just order the newer press from amazon and if it's not what you want, send it back? (but enter the pressing info in discogs first)

Amazon product ASIN B07G1SC4G7

Sweet, this arrived for me yesterday from Jazz Messengers and was really well packed. Card corner protectors, extra paper to stop movement, and in a huge box. Looks like a great set and surprisingly 'affordable' for an RSD release, although it is 1 record.

Yep. One of my boxes was really bashed, but no crease to the sleeve. And, Jazz Messengers is surprisingly affordable to the UK. I ended up putting 3 orders and basically getting everything. (it feels cheaper if it's more than one purchase)

Yep. One of my boxes was really bashed, but no crease to the sleeve. And, Jazz Messengers is surprisingly affordable to the UK. I ended up putting 3 orders and basically getting everything. (it feels cheaper if it's more than one purchase)
Yeah I was super surprised by their prices, especially with the free shipping. I actually have ordered from them before after searching my emails (RSD last year plus a Sam Records release) and will be checking their stock the next time I am struggling to find something I am after.

Oh man. Listening to it for the first time on MoFi must have been a trip. I've liked this album for forever. One of my best friends' dads growing up was a big record collector and he was always introducing us to music like this. We must have listened to Coconut thousands of times on car trips hah.
I don’t know how to attach a YouTube video but google Flip Wilson lime in the coconut and watch a great video version of the song. Good stuff.

I know like 99.9% of the folks in this thread don’t really give a shit but I own the first 3 releases Sonic Youth dropped on their SYR label. They are all Sonic Youth Releases consistently mostly of experimental improvised art punk instrumental pieces. The first 2 were repressed in the early 00s at RTI and cut by KPG. SYR 1 is pressed a 45 RPMs and sounds amazing. I believe all the SYR releases that have been pressed or reissues since 2000 were done at RTI (either by KPG or Golden) the series is great if that’s your thing and most can be had for between $10 and $20 bucks.

…Now back to the Simon & Garfunkel

I know like 99.9% of the folks in this thread don’t really give a shit but I own the first 3 releases Sonic Youth dropped on their SYR label. They are all Sonic Youth Releases consistently mostly of experimental improvised art punk instrumental pieces. The first 2 were repressed in the early 00s at RTI and cut by KPG. SYR 1 is pressed a 45 RPMs and sounds amazing. I believe all the SYR releases that have been pressed or reissues since 2000 were done at RTI (either by KPG or Golden) the series is great if that’s your thing and most can be had for between $10 and $20 bucks.

…Now back to the Simon & Garfunkel
Anagrama is really the only one of their SYR releases I ever listened to. I may have to think about getting it.

EDIT: the SY Archives Bandcamp site is out of stock, which is probably a good thing.

Had no idea that a Speakers Corner pressing of Songs in the Key of Life existed until yesterday when I found a copy on eBay and overnight it tripled in price. It's really a shame that Stevie won't let his master tapes out for reissues.

Gotta say again the OGs sound exceptional and can be found for reasonable money.

Back