Definitive Audiophile pressings

Only thing I can think is that they're selling impatience, since ordering new will require a wait. That or they're counting on ignorance. Either way, it doesn't make much sense. They also sold each of the individual albums from the Sade box set, individually, AND they sold the box and packaging!! That's a real stumper. If they had all the parts, why not just sell the whole thing?
Yeah, I am guessing it’s a good price in comparison to others currently on sale at flipper prices.

Only thing I can think is that they're selling impatience, since ordering new will require a wait. That or they're counting on ignorance. Either way, it doesn't make much sense. They also sold each of the individual albums from the Sade box set, individually, AND they sold the box and packaging!! That's a real stumper. If they had all the parts, why not just sell the whole thing?
This is what I see all the time on various for sale groups on FB or the Hoffman forums. People are totally fine paying a premium to get something now even if it will be restocked. There’s one Facebook auction group for MoFi where people pay insane amounts on items that are often in stock or will be repressed soon. It blows my mind.

I saw that today and was, what the hell are they doing/thinking...........although, they're making more selling it by the piece, it's shitty, especially since they're an "established" retailer, I sometimes think they use Cogs as their "every day Joe" selling spot, like people aren't making the connection, lol

I saw that today and was, what the hell are they doing/thinking...........although, they're making more selling it by the piece, it's shitty, especially since they're an "established" retailer, I sometimes think they use Cogs as their "every day Joe" selling spot, like people aren't making the connection, lol
Yea I’ve said it before but the pricing makes no sense to me. they sell used items with seam splits for more than the price they are charging on their own site for a new copy. And other times the listings are well beyond the lowest price on discogs for items that are long OOP.

It was a Boom Boom kind of night in my house: spun "Roots & Herbs" Tone Poet for the first time (excellent) and took small advantage of the 10% off discount at Acoustic Sounds with AP's Dr. John's Gumbo, a KG production (along w/ Weldon Irvine's "Liberated Brother" by Pure Pleasure). Only the latter got 10% but at least shipping is free.

looks like the long lost plates from the scraped AP contemporary series are going to see the light of day, BG mastered and ORP pressed. Looks like the following confirmed so far. I think they cut 25 total albums before Concord nixed the deal prior to pressing. If you haven’t heard a Roy De Nunn recording you are in for a treat. Should be a great series at what looks like tone poet and acoustic sounds series pricing.

August 13 2021

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
Art Pepper + Eleven

September 17 2021

Barney Kessel et. al. - The Poll Winners
Hampton Hawes et. al. - Four!

Amazon product ASIN B00JFVORBI
Down to $13 and change. Think this is the Hendrix fam pressing.

looks like the long lost plates from the scraped AP contemporary series are going to see the light of day, BG mastered and ORP pressed. Looks like the following confirmed so far. I think they cut 25 total albums before Concord nixed the deal prior to pressing. If you haven’t heard a Roy De Nunn recording you are in for a treat. Should be a great series at what looks like tone poet and acoustic sounds series pricing.

August 13 2021

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
Art Pepper + Eleven

September 17 2021

Barney Kessel et. al. - The Poll Winners
Hampton Hawes et. al. - Four!

Will we be able to pre order these in the U.S. from somewhere here btw ?

Finally got the VMP Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders today. This thing sounds real good. Not sure if all of the pressings were done at Pallas (thought I read it was at different places depending where you ordered from).

also got Quiet Kenny and Yusef Lateef - Before the Dawn today so have some nice listening in store this weekend.

Well, the Analog Spark Brubeck Jazz Goes To College sounds about as good as I can imagine this live recording sounding. Very nice mastering by RKS and I'm sure it would sound even better if you had a mono cart or switch. However the pressing has more clicks and little ticks than I'd ideally like. Lots of swirls and discoloration in the vinyl. They're mostly quiet and since it's a mono pressing they don't really get in the way of the music, but they're there and they're pretty much constant across the whole album. It's an RTI press, not their best work on this copy.

Last edited:
Well, the Analog Spark Brubeck Jazz Goes To College sounds about as good as I can imagine this live recording sounding. Very nice mastering by RKS and I'm sure it would sounds even better if you had a mono cart or switch. However the pressing has more clicks and little ticks than I'd ideally like. Lots of swirls and discoloration in the vinyl. They're mostly quiet and since it's a mono pressing they don't really get in the way of the music, but they're there and they're pretty much constant across the whole album. It's an RTI press, not their best work on this copy.
My origional is pretty average sounding, so my guess is it's the recording (1954). There is only so much remastering can do. It really was meant to give people a taste of The Brubeck Group live on his famous college tours not a modern, remastered recording. Most live jazz recordings in the 50's are about the same quality.

My origional is pretty average sounding, so my guess is it's the recording (1954). There is only so much remastering can do. It really was meant to give people a taste of The Brubeck Group live on his famous college tours not a modern, remastered recording. Most live jazz recordings in the 50's are about the same quality.
Agreed, although I'm fairly certain the ticks and pops are on the pressing, not the original recording. Although I'll give it a stream just to check.

EDIT: Yeah so as I thought, the stream is clean, it's just a duff pressing by RTI.

Last edited:
Well, the Analog Spark Brubeck Jazz Goes To College sounds about as good as I can imagine this live recording sounding. Very nice mastering by RKS and I'm sure it would sounds even better if you had a mono cart or switch. However the pressing has more clicks and little ticks than I'd ideally like. Lots of swirls and discoloration in the vinyl. They're mostly quiet and since it's a mono pressing they don't really get in the way of the music, but they're there and they're pretty much constant across the whole album. It's an RTI press, not their best work on this copy.
Had to get two replacements on this one before I got a clean press I believe

Back