Definitive Audiophile pressings

I made a $35 offer for Hymns to the Silence. Yesterday they accepted my $20 offer for their Speakers’ Corner That’s The Way of the World, so you never know!
If that record is warped, it's probably the copy I recently bought new from AS and returned, and it's a good deal at $20 bc it played fine. I just wasn't willing to accept that much warp at the new price plus shipping, and they offered me full return or 50% refund. I know they put a copy of that record up on Discogs soon after they received my return.

AS Discogs accepted an offer from me last week on the Thorens 125th Anniversary set. It is probably my biggest music impulse buy, but it was a good price (at least based on Discogs) and is an interesting set.

As an aside, I don't understand Discogs historical sales data. A couple of my purchases from AS do not show up in the historic sales chart, and at least one item I sold two months ago on Discogs doesn't show up in the historic sales.

If that record is warped, it's probably the copy I recently bought new from AS and returned, and it's a good deal at $20 bc it played fine. I just wasn't willing to accept that much warp at the new price plus shipping, and they offered me full return or 50% refund. I know they put a copy of that record up on Discogs soon after they received my return.

AS Discogs accepted an offer from me last week on the Thorens 125th Anniversary set. It is probably my biggest music impulse buy, but it was a good price (at least based on Discogs) and is an interesting set.
There is no warp, it’s a seam split, so even better deal!

1. Does anyone here know much about the Who Classic Recipe record Quadrophenia release. It's on AS right now for an eye watering $175, but it scratches a real itch for me (I've two other copies, both reissues that sound good...but not great) I don't think I can pay that much for a record, so I prefer descriptions of the sound that are closer to "not bad, not much you could do given the original" vs "breathtaking"....but lmk if you've heard it?
  2. The Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up really does sound pretty amazing

I've got the 140 g Classic Quad, Its pretty good, but not worth any where near US 175 , I also had the 2012 reissue and the Classic was better ,but I recently heard a 2018 ?? reissue and it was pretty good as well. I will have another listen later on the week and give you some more thoughts, I have a Japanese SHM-CD that's pretty great digital copy, should do a shoot out ,Probably not much help 🤣 here's a thread from SHF with lots of other different views .
  1. Does anyone here know much about the Who Classic Recipe record Quadrophenia release. It's on AS right now for an eye watering $175, but it scratches a real itch for me (I've two other copies, both reissues that sound good...but not great) I don't think I can pay that much for a record, so I prefer descriptions of the sound that are closer to "not bad, not much you could do given the original" vs "breathtaking"....but lmk if you've heard it?

Last edited:
Maybe try an original UK before you spend that much. If you're looking for a more affordable option. Sounds pretty great to me. I don't remember reading that the Classic was considered better but I haven't heard it.

re: UHQR speculation

Someone suggested Tea For The Tillerman, I’d be in for that one.

What about jazz titles? Aside from Bill Evans Trio “Sunday...”, what other albums and/or artists could hit those Kind Of Blue numbers?

I have the Tea for the Tillerman 45 rpm & it's fantastic. I would have to get a UHQR just to see how it could improve on the 45

1. I don't have the Who, but can happily say it's crap & not worth $175
2. The Dexter Gordon is great!

Back