Definitive Audiophile pressings

Are you suggesting that MOFI puts out better quality than ORG (that's not a challenge, just making sure my reading comp is intact)? Or is that a general consensus?

I think SC, ORG, AP, Pallas, etc. are up there with MOFI. In fact, I don't think MOFI is some pinnacle or lone occupant of some rarefied air. I've had MOFI pressings that have been downright disappointing.

What is this "Canadian Audiophile Series"? Is it a proper series or is that your choice of capitalization? Can you link the copy you have (apologies if you previously did; my scroll wheel is broken; by scroll wheel I really just mean me)
Overall I think MoFi’s mastering and pressings are pretty top notch. If you take curation out of it, they have pretty consistently made solid reissues for 40+ years. I’ve been truly disappointed by only one MoFi which is the Evans/Hall one but that was silver label and has tape hiss.

if we take curation into account, SC might be my favorite. ORG and AP are also great overall. But I’d say that there are more MoFis in my top 10 best sounding albums than any other label.

Overall I think MoFi’s mastering and pressings are pretty top notch. If you take curation out of it, they have pretty consistently made solid reissues for 40+ years. I’ve been truly disappointed by only one MoFi which is the Evans/Hall one but that was silver label and has tape hiss.

if we take curation into account, SC might be my favorite. ORG and AP are also great overall. But I’d say that there are more MoFis in my top 10 best sounding albums than any other label.
Don't get my wrong - I love MOFI. I'd have to double check my Discogs, but I think I've ~60 MOFI titles these days (ranging from more recent [last 20 years-ish stuff] to 70's plus a bunch of their SACDs; 33RPM, 45RPM, One-Steps, Silver label, etc).

I guess what I was getting at wasn't really a negative of MOFI but more so that those other labels produce, IMO, equal quality. MOFI def lacks in the curation; but, being honest, most of these labels aren't exactly challenging the status quo in their output. Hell, MOFI excited me when they put out Yaz or Echo and the Bunnymen or Tears for Fears or....gasp....Pixies.

Don't get my wrong - I love MOFI. I'd have to double check my Discogs, but I think I've ~60 MOFI titles these days (ranging from more recent [last 20 years-ish stuff] to 70's plus a bunch of their SACDs; 33RPM, 45RPM, One-Steps, Silver label, etc).

I guess what I was getting at wasn't really a negative of MOFI but more so that those other labels produce, IMO, equal quality. MOFI def lacks in the curation; but, being honest, most of these labels aren't exactly challenging the status quo in their output. Hell, MOFI excited me when they put out Yaz or Echo and the Bunnymen or Tears for Fears or....gasp....Pixies.
MoFi also just has the name and brand recognition plus a much larger catalogue of output than most of those others at this point. I think I missed the boat on a lot of the really good ORG stuff like the Nirvana pressings so they are even further out of reach than some of the old MoFis. I do have to look through their back catalogue though and see what I may be able to pick up at some point.

Half Speed Masters pressed in Japan and imported to Canada for A&M Records.........short lived.
Audiophile Series
Pretty much like the also Canadian Masterphile Series that made a whole 5 albums before canning it. I have Tom Pettys Hard Promises that I like from it.

Masterphile Series

Url: Masterphile Series

Shared from the Discogs App

Are you suggesting that MOFI puts out better quality than ORG (that's not a challenge, just making sure my reading comp is intact)? Or is that a general consensus?

I think SC, ORG, AP, Pallas, etc. are up there with MOFI. In fact, I don't think MOFI is some pinnacle or lone occupant of some rarefied air. I've had MOFI pressings that have been downright disappointing.

What is this "Canadian Audiophile Series"? Is it a proper series or is that your choice of capitalization? Can you link the copy you have (apologies if you previously did; my scroll wheel is broken; by scroll wheel I really just mean me)
I wasn't suggesting that MoFi is necessarily better than any other remaster/reissue outfit, and probably should have been more clear with the point I was making, and also now realize that I erred in using an 'ORG' referent instead of 'OG,' which is what I intended, referring to original pressings of albums. So my point was simply that when I pull out an original pressing thinking that if it sounds very good, I'm set, instead what happens is that the better it sounds, the more likely I am to think that MoFi, Speakers Corner, ORG, MOV, etc. would have a lot to work with in producing an even better sounding pressing. Just another symptom of 'the sickness' :D.

I share this totally willing to be ridiculed and with the preface that I work in software.

I just discoved the Discogs app.

Life's funny sometimes.
since you work in software, you will probably soon realize how bad the discogs app is...

BUT @JonnyH is right. It makes it way easier to enter in any newer albums that have barcodes. Also is great if you're in a record store and wanna know if A) you already own it or B) wanna get an idea of which pressing it is. It's not foolproof since lately reissues tend to have the same barcodes as other older reissues...but it helps narrow down the options.

When I entered in my records, I usually scanned stuff in with my phone app and then filled in all the other details on my laptop. You can also add in custom columns in the web version of discogs which can be really helpful. I have a column for how much i originally paid for an album and one for when it was last cleaned on a record cleaner.

Who mastered the box Mike? Mine are all mono but I have a mix of big Kev on Sundazed, smiffy on MOV and mofi and all are supposedly AAA.
The mono box was cut by Ryan Smith with Marino at his side while Ryan was apprenticing with Marino. There are no initials on the US versions just the STERLING stamp (traditionally indicating a Marino cut), but STERLING and RKS are on subsequent pressings and the EU versions. Allegedly they were all cut by Ryan and that these were some of the initial cuts that Ryan did that turned Chad Kassem (and ultimately Fremer) onto him, and the rest, they say, is history...

The mono box was cut by Ryan Smith with Marino at his side while Ryan was apprenticing with Marino. There are no initials on the US versions just the STERLING stamp (traditionally indicating a Marino cut), but STERLING and RKS are on subsequent pressings and the EU versions. Allegedly they were all cut by Ryan and that these were some of the initial cuts that Ryan did that turned Chad Kassem (and ultimately Fremer) onto him, and the rest, they say, is history...
The Smiffy origin story!

Does anyone know any pressing details about this one? I read somewhere it was from the master tapes & I'm sure I read it was pressed somewhere good, but for the life of me can't find any information on it now that its been released. I don't think the details on cogs is rights it lists a CD manufacturer as the pressing plant.

Back