Definitive Audiophile pressings

Ok so spinning Devo Rhino HiFi and yes, it's fantastic. I'm sick to death of Whip It and yet I could listen to this pressing of it forever. It's incredible. It's not quite, but very close to the Mofi 45 pressing of Nilsson Coconut, which is astonishing and by far the best audiophile novelty song I've ever heard on vinyl.
It’s one of the best sounding records I’ve ever heard. It kind of even sets a new benchmark for the series. It probably comes down to how it was recorded. That producer dude is something else, he worked on that incredible 70s run with Stevie.

Bit of a detour for this thread but I’m curious: what are some of your favorite “hack” audiophile pressings? I’m thinking things like these:

They are usually dirt cheap but pressed from the same plates as audiophile releases. What are some of your sneaky/cheap finds in this vein?

Bit of a detour for this thread but I’m curious: what are some of your favorite “hack” audiophile pressings? I’m thinking things like these:

They are usually dirt cheap but pressed from the same plates as audiophile releases. What are some of your sneaky/cheap finds in this vein?
This is a good topic. I know @MikeH has pointed out a few like this, he probably can add some to the mix.

The recent Boom Boom cuts of The Meters releases are pretty good - all at a decent price - not cheap, but not "audiophile" prices.

The only thing that may hold them back a bit is that they were pressed at MRP.

Same with their release of Undercurrent - it's beats the old silver banner mofi at least.

Last edited:
The recent Boom Boom cuts of The Meters releases are pretty good - all at a decent price - not cheap, but not "audiophile" prices.

Same with their release of Undercurrent - it's beats the old silver banner mofi at least.

And their Chicken Fat is the best I've ever heard the album.

And their Chicken Fat is the best I've ever heard the album.

here's a link to that one -

I don't know it, but it doesn't surprise me they have other recent silent audiophile releases.

I searched their site for "Kevin Gray" and this is the end result - I would expect most to sound pretty good if they are anything like The Meters releases.

(I'm not a Jackpot! shill - I honestly don't care for their record store and it's been years since I went to the one off Burnside.)

here's a link to that one -

I don't know it, but it doesn't surprise me they have other recent silent audiophile releases.

I searched their site for "Kevin Gray" and this is the end result - I would expect most to sound pretty good if they are anything like The Meters releases.

(I'm not a Jackpot! shill - I honestly don't care for their record store and it's been years since I went to the one off Burnside.)
When I lived nearby I didn't love their store either, but I order from them online pretty regularly and they have great customer service, plus every boom boom I've gotten from them has been killer.

Use AP plates but best buying an opened copy to confirm deadwax. I got the bayou country from popmarket about 6 months ago and it was the AP plates

Back