Definitive Audiophile pressings

I know how many feel about Chad, but this is a massive announcement for audiophiles. 75 of the “best” Atlantic albums, with major titles all AAA (unless digital original source).

Yo Chad! Not sure we need another 45rpm version of those Coltrane records. Bernie Grundman and ORG (via Pallas) already took care of it.

Very excited for an SACD version of Purple by Stone Temple Pilots. That's a top 5 album for me. Happy Chad is keeping that format going. Wish it had a multichannel layer like Core had on DVD-Audio but I'll take what I can get now.

I have a lot of AP 45s and they are worth it IMO. Incredible sounding records. The UHQR thing for $150+ is not worth it, but AP 45s in tip-on jackets AAA mastered, pressed at QRP and RTI always sound incredible. 45 RPM really opens the soundstage up super wide and gives some added bass and detail.

What??

"Digital clone of original digital master to analog console to lathe"​

Anyway, Pinkerton is in stock at mofi.

They copied the master tapes to a DSD file and then fed that through a DAC to an analogue mastering console to control the lathe for cutting the lacquer.

They’ve had to put that on all the record since the whole storm in a teacup who ha last year.

What??

"Digital clone of original digital master to analog console to lathe"​

Anyway, Pinkerton is in stock at mofi.
It means they did a lossless, bit perfect copy of the digital master file and mastered it on their analog mastering deck which goes straight to the cutting lathe.

Excepting that not all mastering consoles or lathes are analog, this is the common process for transferring a digital recording to vinyl.

Just what the world needs, more 45rpm vinyl
I am not digging it either. It's a fine format for a really special album but it's a serious turnoff for 75 reissue albums.
That's kind of disregarding the music flow entirely.
Fragile sounds badass for the $23 KG cut. I don't really need more than that.

I'll cherry pick some titles but not in for the majority. Too much good stuff available these days to get a better value.

Very excited for an SACD version of Purple by Stone Temple Pilots. That's a top 5 album for me. Happy Chad is keeping that format going. Wish it had a multichannel layer like Core had on DVD-Audio but I'll take what I can get now.
I'm more excited about the SACDs than anything 45RPM (citing same complaints as most people about too much 45 - and person who brought up Yes Close to the Edge in pre order thread...100%. One of my fave albums and breaking up tracks, no thanks).

Not excited about duplicates of some recent SACDs available - like CSN & Crosby If I Could....but there are some solid picks.

Back