Definitive Audiophile pressings

Is there a Kevin Gray Mono? I thought the “famous” mono was Ryan Smith…

That's why I was asking after reading this back and forth...but wasn't finding it myself on Discogs.

Got the Kevin Gray mono Kind Of Blue. You all weren't kidding, this sounds great. I'm really enjoying how centered everything is. I'll have to compare this to the MOFI stereo. Blue In Green is about to come on so I'm ready to have that same chill down my spine when Miles comes in with the trumpet at the beginning.

I think I'm gonna have to pick up this one soon before it disappears...was waiting for the UHQR to come out though and then see which I like better between that and the MoFi and sell the other.

Pretty sure KG and RKS both cut Miles records. The RKS is the AAA mono. I wanna say KG cut a digital stereo of KoB?

Yeah - I got that now. But when @mdmost posted "Got the Kevin Gray mono Kind Of Blue" and then you answered them with "I think I'm gonna have to pick up this one soon before it disappears" I thought I was losing my mind because I couldn't find anything on a KPG mono cut of KoB.

Don't look to me like I'm an authority on anything like who mastered the Kind of Blue mono. I was probably parroting something I saw somewhere about that version.

We have to remember that no vintage tape is as good today as it was back in the day. Even a tape that appears perfect and will play back beautifully will suffer from time - particularly tape saturation, loss of high frequencies, bleed and other audible artifacts.

Sometimes that digital step is needed. DSD256 is a fantastic format for archiving analog tapes and there can be no doubt that it can serve as a superb master for vinyl.

more AAA boombooms!

JPR_PO_BookerT_1080x1080_2d71a81d-ad56-4440-baf5-b9e8250f481c.jpg

That's what I was seeing - but reading back in this thread I saw talk about "Kevin Gray mono Kind Of Blue" and thought I was missing out.
You all probably know I'm not a huge jazz fan, but KPG's stereo cut is great, so I figured if he did cut the mono version I should pick that up, too.
I tell you what - I own the UHQR 45 and the MoFi 45, and I am interested in both of these now!! Haha

But why put it back on tape for the mono if they transferred it to digital from the 3 track during the remixing process?
Could've been that whatever section/cut they needed to edit, they just grabbed that digitally, and the rest was from the tape.

Sean Magee did that on Please Please Me for a tune or two in the Mono Box.

more AAA boombooms!

JPR_PO_BookerT_1080x1080_2d71a81d-ad56-4440-baf5-b9e8250f481c.jpg
Nice! On the fence about the bundle, but will probably pick them up down the line.

Anyone know if the Meters’ wide releases were pretty available?

Nice! On the fence about the bundle, but will probably pick them up down the line.

Yeah I saw the Meters releases today at my local. They're for sale on amazon too. I think they are pretty widely available. Still available on the Jackpot website too for the best price

Yeah I saw the Meters releases today at my local. They're for sale on amazon too. I think they are pretty widely available. Still available on the Jackpot website too for the best price
plaidroom has (or had?) them too. but they were $32 each vs the $25 each in the bundle. jackpot's shipping is also just $5 for the booker T bundle i believe.

Great, thanks. Think I’m safe to wait on the Booker T’s then.

Back