Definitive Audiophile pressings

Great, thanks. Think I’m safe to wait on the Booker T’s then.
yea--there's the limited variant (think they are limited to 500) over at jackpot. the bundle for those is cheapest. a little over $25 each shipped i think? newbury has a limited to 500 exclusive on Meters too for more money. then they all seem to have wider color releases for stores.

curious to see what jackpot does next with KG! had known about this and the Meters for awhile.

anybody have the KG cut Clash records from Drastic Plastic? Just grabbed what I hope is a nice copy of the self-titled cut by KG.
I think they’re quite good! The debut and Give Em Enough Rope are better than my OG US counterparts. But then again, those two never sounded great to begin with and the US version of the debut is basically a different album altogether. Did he cut any others from The Clash?

I think they’re quite good! The debut and Give Em Enough Rope are better than my OG US counterparts. But then again, those two never sounded great to begin with and the US version of the debut is basically a different album altogether. Did he cut any others from The Clash?
he also did the 10" of Black Market Crash

Give Em Enough Rope is my mailman's favorite Clash record so might have to try to grab that one too at some point...

I think I might be a lucky one in that I don't think I've had a single non-fill issue with Optimal (yet).
I will say it sounds good otherwise. However I've read the OG single disc pressings are quite a bit sonically better, although they omit a lot of good tracks. Might be nonsense, but I'm definitely curious as to how they'd sound, because this is pretty solid mastering wise.

I will say it sounds good otherwise. However I've read the OG single disc pressings are quite a bit sonically better, although they omit a lot of good tracks. But I'm definitely curious as to how they'd sound, because this is pretty solid mastering wise.
Joe Nino-Hernes did a great job on this. That Darko dude who reviews stuff online had that really bizarre article where he talked a lot about the 2023 vinyl, then said the dynamic range was awful on it....turned out he was talking about just the high-res download from this year....he just posted an update saying he actually ripped the new vinyl and the dynamic range was quite good.

I think it's a really good reissue myself. Was surprised how nicely pressed the US pressing was considering it's done by GZ West?

Joe Nino-Hernes did a great job on this. That Darko dude who reviews stuff online had that really bizarre article where he talked a lot about the 2023 vinyl, then said the dynamic range was awful on it....turned out he was talking about just the high-res download from this year....he just posted an update saying he actually ripped the new vinyl and the dynamic range was quite good.

I think it's a really good reissue myself. Was surprised how nicely pressed the US pressing was considering it's done by GZ West?
Yeah it's PRP I think? Not far from me, they're usually terrible but maybe they're starting to fix their processes. Seems like they've had a few good ones recently.

Yeah that article was nuts, and so wrong just in terms of what makes a record sound good. But interesting that he didn't even listen to the record first, why am I not terribly surprised.

Yeah it's PRP I think? Not far from me, they're usually terrible but maybe they're starting to fix their processes. Seems like they've had a few good ones recently.

Yeah that article was nuts, and so wrong just in terms of what makes a record sound good. But interesting that he didn't even listen to the record first, why am I not terribly surprised.
of course that made the hoffman folks talk about how bad the vinyl reissue was (also without hearing it haha).

i'm hoping most plants are getting back to being decent again. Optimal has had some really great reissues lately. I think they did the Cars Rhino HiFi release? The Deutsche Grammaphon Original Source reissues are excellent. Pallas has gotten back on track mostly. GZ has even been not....terrible? Pretty sure Optimal has tiers of QC too just like GZ is rumored to have.

of course that made the hoffman folks talk about how bad the vinyl reissue was (also without hearing it haha).

i'm hoping most plants are getting back to being decent again. Optimal has had some really great reissues lately. I think they did the Cars Rhino HiFi release? The Deutsche Grammaphon Original Source reissues are excellent. Pallas has gotten back on track mostly. GZ has even been not....terrible? Pretty sure Optimal has tiers of QC too just like GZ is rumored to have.
Yeah I agree, I've had far less issues with all those plants, hopefully this is just a one off. Unfortunately it's right off the bat during Psycho Killer and Heaven so it's really noticeable, and that sparse version of Psycho Killer needs to be quiet.

I mean vinyl isn't really his thing. He addresses exactly your criticism in the follow up. In the video and the follow up he specifically mentions how mastering is what matters. He also didn't get an OG LP to compare what that was like either.

I didn't think it was that bizarre of an article. But what do I know?

I mean vinyl isn't really his thing. He addresses exactly your criticism in the follow up. In the video and the follow up he specifically mentions how mastering is what matters. He also didn't get an OG LP to compare what that was like either.

I didn't think it was that bizarre of an article. But what do I know?
But that's it exactly, if it "isn't his thing" then why is he writing an article about something he knows nothing about, then also not even using the correct source to "review" it. It just feels of the typical click bait half assed blog garbage that claims to be journalism.

But that's it exactly, if it "isn't his thing" then why is he writing an article about something he knows nothing about, then also not even using the correct source to "review" it. It just feels of the typical click bait half assed blog garbage that claims to be journalism.
He didn't talk about the vinyl in the original... he compared the hi-res file to CDs. I mean it even supports our (being vinyl enthusiasts) premise that when mastered correctly, Vinyl can be better than a hi-res file.

He does occasionally review turntables. However, the majority of his reviews are geared towards streaming and small footprint systems.

Back